nlite and windows.0 folder

lm8

My previous computer died so I built a new computer to move everything over to and attempted to install Windows XP on it in place of my old one. Was having trouble with the install on the new machine because of the missing SATA drivers. I tried using the F6 method with two different USB floppy drives and neither work. When I read about nlite, I decided to give it a try. Was able to create a disk with service pack 3 and the needed SATA drivers. It installed to my new machine successfully. Was very impressed with nlite. Unfortunately, the previous attempts at install left some files in the Windows directory on the SATA drive and the nlite install automatically placed everything in windows.0 to avoid it. I found the Windows KB 888023 information that says you can edit boot.ini and remove one of the entries. However, the entry I need to remove is the windows one not windows.0 as in their example. Am wondering if there's any way to get the files in windows.0 over to the windows directory and boot from there without having to reinstall everything on the drive. If there isn't, is it safe to just remove the \windows directory and any mention of it in the boot.ini and just use windows.0 from here on out? If there is a way to move everything from windows.0 to windows again without a complete reinstall, would appreciate any information on how to do it. Thanks.

Not that I kwow. I doubt editing the registry (replace all "windows.0") would be enough.

You can try renaming C:\windows and see if everything runs fine (before deleting it and keep running on C:\Windows.0\ ) or reinstall XP (after formatting the drive this time).

Note that this has nothing to do with nLite.

Edited by Ponch