Performance of XP home vs. Pro

Viking23

I wondered if anybody has checked to see if the home version of XP uses less system resources than the pro version.

I have XP pro (RC2) on my pc. I have not used the home version and I hear little from anybody that has, I would seem to me the pro version with its added security and other features would be somewhat more resource hungry than the home version. I would like some information on this before I decide on what version to use after the 180 trial period is up. I do not have access to the home version to try before deciding like I have with RC2.

Thanks!

XP pro RC2

AMD K6-2 550mhz

256 mb ram

17gb and 8.5gb udma66 drives

Nvidia TNT2 m64

• 3 years later...

Pro is much better than home. I had home on my computer it was fine but it Was not what i wanted so i bought pro it it was awesome! and it made my computer faster i never had virus. I recommend pro.

if someone tells you xp pro performs better than home

they better get off the corperate crack

cause there in la la la land

in reality , they perform the same

only pro has more options

I have pro, and my friend has home. When I go to work on his computer, it doesn't have any tools that are useful. It works fine for him, but if you are more advanced, and like to have more control over the OS, then I say go pro.

As for resource usage, I haven't noticed a problem on either. I usually shut down a lot of unneeded services, so that might help.

I have XP HE and XP Pro on the same PC.

XP Pro has some extra files and a few extra system services. So technically it consumes more resources in terms of HDD. Because you can tweak system services that shouldn't be a problem (services tweaks don't save much RAM anyway).

Because my two OSes don't have identical configurations and programs, it's not possible to compare RAM usage directly. But with 512MB RAM both should run fine (consider upgrading more RAM anyway).

The resource (whatever this means) question would not be a reason or concern for choosing which OS. Any difference is insignificant.

for you ho dont now, the xphome cd and the wppro cd are exactley the same exept for one file

so i made a cd with xppro xphome and xppro without al the crap programs like media player...

if you optimize the disk you wont loose size so they are close to exact the same

xp home dos exactley the same but becous it is registred as home lots of stuf is disabled or not copyd from the cd

so if you have a legal home just use it

don't use pro and you wont know what you mis

long live freeware

greets emma

Edited by emmanuel d

so its all who you are, and whether you think fax.exe is worth 100 more dollars

who said anything about paying for it? :whistle: lol, jk. i got MSDN.

But really Pro is better performing when compared to home. Search the other older topics under this form, you find all the proof. My games also seem to work better under Pro verses home due to the memory managment in pro. (after it has been properly configured)

Pro is easier to modify and has more options to configure.

Bottom line:

Most users will not see a difference between home and pro. so save your money.

But if you want the best and most features with full admin access, network setups, and security, get Pro without question.