how do you preserve activation

I work for a computer refurbisher that uses only retail XP Pro and retail Windows 7 Pro licenses.

The contract we have specifies that the OS must be pre activated so the end user is only presented with the Microsoft EULA page when they boot the first time.

XP was relatively easy to figure out how to do this;

basically deploy a sysprep image, boot to the desktop to check for driver issues enter the product key and activate.

After completing a post installation checklist another sysprep was run using:

sysprep -activated -reseal -shutdown in conjunction with a sysprep.inf which had the product key that was used to activate and under [unattended] AutoActivate=Yes

It seems to be a lot more difficult than in XP.

Now that we will be switching to Windows 7 Pro I have an unattend.xml that works for the initial deployment but I can't figure out how to create a reseal.xml for the second sysprep so only

the EULA page is displayed when the end user boots the first time.

Is this even possible when using retail license?

The contract we have specifies that the OS must be pre activated so the end user is only presented with the Microsoft EULA page when they boot the first time.

Pre-activation on a resellable system can only be done as an OEM. It is an expensive and time consuming process! Pre-activation can be done in the Enterprise channel, however there are specific licensing requirements in order to be allowed to sell a computer with Windows 7 Enterprise on it.

I don't have info on the rules for the Retail SKUs, but I'd be very surprised if that were legal. The fact that you have a contract that requires this ability is concerning.

You can find the following in the EULA:

Software Other Than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may make a one time transfer of the software and this agreement, by transferring the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to a third party. The first user must remove the software before transferring it separately from the computer. The first user may not retain any copies of the software.

Either way, Retail isn't meant for this purpose. It is to be installed by the end-user.

http://www.microsoft...r_programs.aspx

Our organization has a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher agreement. We buy our retail XP Pro, 7 Pro and Office 2007 product keys from MS for $6 each.

The only way to use the new product key is on refurbished computers that have an existing MS COA . The MS guide says it is okay to pre activate for the end user but the end user must be shown

and accept the EULA during OOBE. The guide says it can be done but they really don't have any specifics. I figured out how to do it for XP by reading the OPK.chm.

I thought Win 7 was going to make my job easier.....

Install with the actual key on an xml and don't complete oobesystem. Can just shut it down when eula comes up

use an xml

If you want to install software then use audit mode and shutdown the PC coming out of that.

page__view__findpost__p__892782

I see you have this also http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/downloads/Pages/ExpressDeploymentTool.aspx

Edited by maxXPsoft

OK in that case (ugg licensing is so hard! )

You should be able to install your OS into Audit Mode using an Unattend. Then when you do your sysprep (to prepare the PC for the end-user) you can specify the product key in another answer file. This should hide the product key prompt for the end-user during OOBE.

Here is how to pre-activate:

How Sysprep Works

To activate Windows for your customer, use the unique Product Key from the certificate of authenticity (COA) label that is affixed to the specific computer, and activate the computer on behalf of the end user. Run the sysprep /oobe command to prepare the computer for delivery to the customer.

You cannot make an image of an activated Windows installation and duplicate that image to another computer. If you do, Windows fails to recognize the activation and forces the end user to reactivate the installation manually.