importing a .wim image to MDT

I have personalized my computer.Actually, we just installed win 7, created groups, downloaded drivers, installed applications etc.

Now,the PC has window7 with few users and required drivers and some applications etc.

I want to copy the .wim image of Drive C: to import it on to MDT2010 running on another Tech computer.

Is there any application for copying the .wim image of that computer or I have to depend on only and only one: ImageX?

After capturing the .wim image, when I import the custom image on to MDT, it asks if 'setup/sysprep files' are required. And, source files for that. What should I select as the reference computer is customized without any 'sysprep'.

If I have to run sysprep:-

Do I have to run sysprep in audit modegeneralizeRebbot, before capturing the image ?

or I should run sysprepOOBEGeneralizeshut down and reboot the computer with winPE and capture the image using imagex?

As we have already installed almost everything after installing the OS, do we have to start over again with sysprep to get the .wim image? or we can go ahead and capture the image?

I am planning on using a USB offline Media to deploy that customized .wim image on to few Pcs. I am following the link to create USB Key Media provided earlier on this forum.

Other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by nyorker

The optimal scenario to create ref-images for MDT is to use the build and capture scenario with MDT to create the image (possibly with the LTISuspend option if you need to do something manually) and always in a virtual machine to get the best image, and to able to use snapshots. Build and Capture is the most reliable way.

Howvere, since you already have an image you are happy with, you can create a Capture Only Task Seqeunce in MDT. When running the task sequence (by starting the litetouch.vbs script from your running image), it will run sysprep with the correct switches, stage winpe on the drive, reboot, and capture it to your deployment server. Please note that the capture only task sequence is a little bit buggy in some scenarios... the build and capture is more mature and well tested.

Also please note that the machine you are using is considered "used" after you run a capture only task sequence.. That's why my initial recommendation on using vms and snapshots.

/ Johana

The optimal scenario to create ref-images for MDT is to use the build and capture scenario with MDT to create the image (possibly with the LTISuspend option if you need to do something manually) and always in a virtual machine to get the best image, and to able to use snapshots. Build and Capture is the most reliable way.

Virtual machine is good option, but we don't have it

Howvere, since you already have an image you are happy with, you can create a Capture Only Task Seqeunce in MDT. When running the task sequence (by starting the litetouch.vbs script from your running image), it will run sysprep with the correct switches, stage winpe on the drive, reboot, and capture it to your deployment server. Please note that the capture only task sequence is a little bit buggy in some scenarios... the build and capture is more mature and well tested.

We can creat a new Task Sequence, but is there an option, in MDT, for where to save the captured image, other then on the server. We don't have a sever/domain setup. Is it possible to boot a machine with MDT's 'boot media' and capture the image of a computer and save/copy it on a USB Key?

Also, if we use ImageX to capture an .wim image on a USBkey, when should we capture the image? Ideal would be to run sysprep in audit mode and install all applications and drivers, then capture the image . But we already have applications and drivers set on that machine. Now should we run sysprep and capture the image or just capture the image without the sysprep?

Also please note that the machine you are using is considered "used" after you run a capture only task sequence.. That's why my initial recommendation on using vms and snapshots.

/ Johana

Edited by nyorker

You can capture to a share on a client as well, there is no server or domain requirement (even though its recomenned) You can also specify a local drive, problem is that you may not know what driveletter the USB disk gets.

If you want to a manual capture using Imagex it needs to be done after sysprep is being run, and when booted into WinPE

/ Johan