problem with WAIK

LMHmedchem

I have installed vlite on a win& 64 bit enterprise box and I can't get it to start. The WAIK is installed and vlite has copied wimgapi.dll to the vlite directory, but vlite still prompts me to install the AIK. One thing odd is that vlite is in the x86 program files directory. I would have expected it to be in the other directory on an x64 box. I don't know which version of the .dll file is in the vlite directory. I have installed and uninstalled vlite, restarted, etc, but no change.

Any suggestions on what to do?

LMHmedchem

A 32-bit program, in this case vLite, installed in \Program Files (x86)\ cannot start a 64-bit program installed in \Program Files\ - it has no way of actually 'knowing' it is there.

If there is a way around this I'm sure someone will come along and mention it.

Edited by ChiefZeke

A 32-bit program, in this case vLite, installed in \Program Files (x86)\ cannot start a 64-bit program installed in \Program Files\ - it has no way of actually 'knowing' it is there. If there is a way around this I'm sure someone will come along and mention it.
Why is the 32-bit version of vlite installed when this is a 64 bit system? There was only one vlite installer to download. Should I install the 32bit version of the AIK instead of the x64 version? The AIK has both x86 and x64 versions of the dll and I have tried copying both versions into the vlite directory without any change. There is a version of wimgapi.dll in the vlite directory. My understanding is that this is copped from the AIK directory, so it mus have found something. This should be a straightforward process, so I must have messed up something in the install.

Can someone link me to the exact version of the AIK, .net, and the vlite installer to install on win7 x64 enterprise so I can try again. Everyone else doesn't seem to have this issue, so there must be something wrong with my local config.

LMHmedchem

Edited by LMHmedchem

You are using the wrong WAIK.

You have to use WAIK for vista.

YES EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE USING Win7!

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=9085

THEN copy:

wimfltr.sys

wimfltr.inf

TO: vLite\wimfltr\x64

And

wimgapi.dll to the vLite base directory.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Ahh, I figured it was something of that kind.

I have installed the vista AIK and have it working. When I applied the changes to the install, there was an error during the process that said something like, "could not find the file specified". The process completed and I created an iso, but now I am not confident that the iso is error free. Is this something I can safely ignore, or do I have to go back and find out what I did wrong.

Also, is there a link for how to burn the iso onto a USB 3.0 flash stick, or won't that work? I guess I would have to slipstream in the USB 3.0 drivers, unless win7 already has them.

Nothing to do with vlite, but the menu under my username is permanently dropped down, so I have this black box covering the upper left of the web site. I'm not sure what can be done, but I thought I would report it. I use seamonkey 2.2 if anyone cares.

LMHmedechem

I forgot this step, I guess that is part of the issue.

copy to vLite\wimfltr\x64, etc

wimfltr.sys

wimfltr.inf

Edited by LMHmedchem

Bad news:

vLite was never developed for win7...

It BARELY works with Win7 without a bunch of extra work.

for your uses I would suggest win7toolkit (Found at wincert.net)

or rt7lite (Warning this is extremly slow....

As for the usb3?

I would try this http://wudt.codeplex.com/ and only if your motherboard supports booting from the usb3 will it work.