Finally got Spybot to work!

JorgeA

Hello,

Way back when, my first foray into this Forum had to do with getting Spybot Search & Destroy to work on Windows 98. Although we tried numerous things and I learned a TON about Win98, we never did succeed in getting my Win98 tower to complete a scan using SS&D 1.6.2. The idea of performing a clean installation of Windows came up at some point, but I didn't yet feel knowledgeable enough about Windows to do that. Or, uncomfortable enough with my PC's general performance to justify the effort.

Well, I am happy to report that BOTH of these conditions have come to pass. The other day my Win98FE system got sluggish to the point that trying to do anything on it was like pouring molasses. For all practical purposes, the system had become unusable.

At the same time, thanks in large part to the good folks on MSFN I have learned enough about Windows and computing generally, to try my hand at reinstalling Windows 98. So I went through the process, installing it on a "new" (new to me, actually refurbished) 19GB :o HDD and making that the master drive, then updating the OS and installing drivers for all my hardware.

And then I installed Spybot, downloaded the current definitions, and -- with fingers crossed -- told it to run a full scan.

Two-and-a-half hours later, I saw the glorious big green Spybot checkmark telling me that the scan was done and it hadn't found anything. :thumbup

So I can verify that Spybot does still work on Windows 98 -- even for me!! ;)

Thank you all or making this possible.

--JorgeA

Congratulations! thumbsup.gif

I'm glad you feel more confortable now about going "under the hood" with Win 98.

dencorso,

Yes, it was an interesting and instructive experience. I wanted to put this on the record here because of the prior history -- you might say that it properly closes that chapter.

One curious little detail. Before the system was reinstalled, the "Welcome to Windows 98" had always displayed as a static image on the screen. It was like that on the day I opened Dell's shipping box and fired up the PC for the first time. Now, the welcome thingy is animated, with the Win98 logo starting out big in the center and then (while the music plays) zooming away to a corner of the rectangle to achieve the same image I had always known. How about that.

--JorgeA

• 3 months later...

Congrats, JorgeA. Ready to go after SpyBot 2.x on Win 9x?

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

I had wanted to install Spybot 2.x on Windows 98, but according to what I've read on their forum, it's not compatible with Win98. In addition, several months ago I asked about joining the beta program, but they told me it wouldn't work.

As long as Spybot 1.x works and they keep updating the files, though, that's OK.

--JorgeA

Congrats, JorgeA. Ready to go after SpyBot 2.x on Win 9x?

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

I had wanted to install Spybot 2.x on Windows 98, but according to what I've read on their forum, it's not compatible with Win98. In addition, several months ago I asked about joining the beta program, but they told me it wouldn't work.

As long as Spybot 1.x works and they keep updating the files, though, that's OK.

--JorgeA

JorgeA, if you're willing to install KernelEX available from this site, you'll probably get most of SpyBot 2 o work. The features which won't work are not needed. Also, look at herbalists posts on registry backup/restor/protection and SSM which take up little if any resources and protect better than any AV/AM app.

Dave

JorgeA, if you're willing to install KernelEX available from this site, you'll probably get most of SpyBot 2 o work. The features which won't work are not needed. Also, look at herbalists posts on registry backup/restor/protection and SSM which take up little if any resources and protect better than any AV/AM app.

Dave

Dave,

Do you know off-hand what those Spybot 2 features are that won't work in Win98 (with KernelEx) but that aren't needed anyway?

Thank you for reminding me about KernelEx. I remember looking into it a year or two ago and deciding not to install it, but darned if I can recall the reason why! Will have to go back and get reacquainted with it.

I'll take a look at herbalist's suggestions, thanks!

--JorgeA