Endless reboot loop nLited XP in VMWare Player

PinkFreud

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster, and admittedly a NOOB. My topic and description pretty much says it all, and I'm not even sure this is so much an nLite issue vs problem in my VM player .vmx config. I'm attaching my last INI per forum protocol, along with a copy of the VMX config and also attaching a png of the error, which reads: Not enough virtual memory or paging file quota is available to complete the specified operation.

I used a clean SP2 Dell reinstallation CD (I have used this successfully a dozen or more times, twice on my old Dell and the rest in VMWare) integrated SP3, X's UDC for post-SP3 updates & hotfixes, Dell's chipset, audio, etc...drivers, IE8 w/the add-on creator linked to on X's UDC page...and very little else--Royale Noir theme, latest Flash, JRE 6 24--booted from the nLite ISO. Install runs smoothly until loop after formatting and reboot.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last INI:

VMX file:

EDIT TO ADD: Apparently onepiece's IE8 add-on is the "culprit". I just rebuilt the ISO this time WITHOUT IE8 & XP is installing on VMWare as I type this...

2nd ETA: Just to clarify, I am not "blaming" nor denigrating onepiece's IE8, quite the contrary AAMOF as I've used it successfully a half dozen times or so. Apparently something I did/didn't do/did inncorrectly "broke" my IE8 integration. (See Ponch's reply below)

Edited by PinkFreud

-It seems you are applying SP3 running nLite in a Vista environnement. This will get you trouble (like rejected key).

-Putting everything on the "user\Desktop" (XP files, packages, drivers, iso) is known cause trouble as well.

-You might be integrating some stuff that is made for WMP versions (11) that are not in your build. This is known to cause reboots.

-finally the obvious; enough RAM and HDD space for your VM to run ? (Try with your original Dell cd).

@Ponch: Thank you for your prompt & most informative reply. Allow me to address each of your points:

-It seems you are applying SP3 running nLite in a Vista environnement. This will get you trouble (like rejected key).

Yes, I used my Win 7 laptop. The Dell laptop (2200 Inspiron) only has 1.25gb RAM which is the max supported--and nLited builds take FOREVER and a day--even @ highest priority with only the host OS AV (Avast) running in the background. My Gateway running 7 Home Prem has 8gb & fairly buzzes through the process in about 1/3 the time. If you feel it may be an issue I will do a new build on the Dell lappy

-Putting everything on the "user\Desktop" (XP files, packages, drivers, iso) is known cause trouble as well.

I didn't remember that--I should have, as I've read that here often enough. I will put all my work @ C:\ XPCD for my newest build with the adjustments noted below.

EDIT TO ADD: This may explain why the Royale Noir theme failed to install (empty folder @ c:\ Windows\Resources\Themes\royale_noir) on my last build noted below, do you agree?

-You might be integrating some stuff that is made for WMP versions (11) that are not in your build. This is known to cause reboots.

I will remove them from my new build as I dont use WMP. (use VLC)

-finally the obvious; enough RAM and HDD space for your VM to run ? (Try with your original Dell cd).

I attempted 3 seperate builds, each with a 40gb virtual HDD starting with the fresh Dell SP2 source each time (could it have become corrupt/scratched, it's 3 yrs old)--using VMWare's recommended setting (@512mb), next @1024mb & lastly @1280mb--all with the same reboot loop result. With my subsequent build (removed onepiece's IE8, @512mb) it installed completely unattended, start to desktop in under 15 minutes.

Regards,

Joe AKA PinkFreud

Edited by PinkFreud

The Dell laptop (2200 Inspiron) only has 1.25gb RAM which is the max supported--and nLited builds take FOREVER and a day--even @ highest priority with only the host OS AV (Avast) running in the background. My Gateway running 7 Home Prem has 8gb & fairly buzzes through the process in about 1/3 the time.

... this might be a consequence of point 2 ( ...\desktop\...). I never had nLite run more than 20 minutes (but I never integrated as much updates either). But you don't really give a clue as what time it really takes.

... this might be a consequence of point 2 ( ...\desktop\...). I never had nLite run more than 20 minutes (but I never integrated as much updates either). But you don't really give a clue as what time it really takes.

Last one I did (Dec '10) I ran "by the book" (folder structure @ root of C: in XP environment using the Dell 2200 I mentioned)...took about 30-40 minutes for nLite to compile IIRC, from a "fresh" (SP2) source... the failed install compiled in Windows 7 and the subsequent successful install sans IE8 took about 10-15 minutes using nLite and the successful install in VMWare took 12-15 minutes from Power on to desktop.

Edited by PinkFreud

• 4 weeks later...

...PLEASE remember that win7 can cause all sorts of funny issues.

Install XP\sp2 and .net2 and nlite in a vm and do your cooking there...

TY, I will try that.

Worked like a charm, tyvm for the suggestion. I did make one mistake on my installation---I mistakenly removed Windows Sounds :blink:

Edited by PinkFreud