WinXP Pro SP3 x86

KiSalvation

Oh sorry, yeah i used; "Or clear HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices on the OFFLINE registry."

Good.

Are the current settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices "correct"?

Meaning is the "C:\" drive (I presume that that is your "system" drive, first primary active partrition) pointing to the right disk signature and offset?

It is possible that in your previous attempts of booting (with the C:\ entry pointing to the "old" disk signature) XP attempted to "self-heal" and "botched" some path to other apps, though it is unlikely.

Can you try:

1. verify HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices keys
  2. mount the Registry OFFLINE
  3. save current (if verified OK) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
  4. re-appply the driveimageXML file
  5. BEFORE booting to the XP the first time apply the saved HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices to the offline registry

If the behaviour is the same there is somehting else that has probably it's roots in the "base" image.

You can then try to reinstall and try with an actual disk image.

To troubleshoot the issue, most probably the only thing that can help is running procmon at boot time. :unsure:

Can you run TaskMgr and check WHAT actually get 100% CPU? It may help but not necessarily will lead to the cause. :ph34r:

Possibly unrelated, but as a rule of thumb DELL sources are normally prone to cause problems.

jaclaz

I would say that the use of nlite is completely irrelevant and NOT connected to the issue.

Care to share your view why?

My point is as per post #4 - Item 1 & 5

Because the final result comes from an improper "handling" of the "cloning procedure".

In other words, no matter if nlite was NOT used on the source, was used on it lawfully or was used on it in a complete and utter breach of it's license, the result would be anyway a failed logon because of the improper procedure followed when making and restoring the image(s).

Or if you prefer, the issue should not even have been posted in the nlite forum, and "my" point is along the lines of post #2 - item 2 in it ;):

What kind of Windows Licence is this ? Are you sure the problem is nLite related ?

As often happens :ph34r: the OP, being an IT technician, presumed a connection between the use of nlite and the issue he had, while there is IMHO none.

jaclaz

Thanks for sharing your view, jaclaz. Let me recap your view. You isolate the issue to just 'improper procedure followed when making and restoring the images". nite is irrelevant.

Is there a correct procedure or tutorial in this case? Is there some guide out there? It could help others when doing similar things.

Yes, as often happens, OP is an IT technician, I presumed he might not be aware what are the proper tool out there to do this kind of task.

There is a saying 'Use the right tool for the right job". Is nlite the right tool to start off with? Could it be some other tools?

Some suggested tool would be helpful to get people on the proper track... At least some options are available for consideration beside using nlite

I agreed with Ponch "We've always refused to help people using nLite at work." + my own word "whether it is directly or indirectly of nLite usage because ultimately it is intended for home use."

At the end of the day, no matter how you clone and restore images, I still believe the keyword here is "for home use."

Your perspective view may be indirectly helping people use nLite at work, IMHO.

I too would like to stopped here. Just my humble view.

I got high respect for you, for your deep technical knowledge and resourcefulness, for your generous & very helpful hand you give when people come to msfn forum asking for help, including myself.

I, by no mean, on my part intentionally or disrepectfully wish to discredit you in this discussion. Just thought we can discuss something from a constructive point of view.

Hope you are not offended in any way and certainly hope you can still help/advise me in MSFN forum. (I'm a newbie too because I'm not from the IT industry. Computering is just a hobby for me. There are many things I do not know about IT)

Lastly, it is not about who is right or wrong. It's about what is the right thing to do in this kind of situation. From step 1...

I better stop here. Just hope you don't leash out your WEAPON X (a superpower combo by Wolverine in arcade game) on me. (Some lighthearted moment is needed here, I guess)

Thanks for sharing your view, jaclaz. Let me recap your view. You isolate the issue to just 'improper procedure followed when making and restoring the images". nite is irrelevant.

Yep.

Is there a correct procedure or tutorial in this case? Is there some guide out there? It could help others when doing similar things.

Read the links I posted.

Your perspective view may be indirectly helping people use nLite at work, IMHO.

Sure, as well as posting ANY other trick, advice or proper procedure.

Yes, as often happens, OP is an IT technician, I presumed he might not be aware what are the proper tool out there to do this kind of task.

There is a saying 'Use the right tool for the right job". Is nlite the right tool to start off with? Could it be some other tools?

Some suggested tool would be helpful to get people on the proper track... At least some options are available for consideration beside using nlite

What the heck!

It is "since the dawn of time" that there is XPLITE (Commercial):

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

and of course there are FDV's files (which have no limited license attached if I remember correctly)

I agreed with Ponch "We've always refused to help people using nLite at work." + my own word "whether it is directly or indirectly of nLite usage because ultimately it is intended for home use."

At the end of the day, no matter how you clone and restore images, I still believe the keyword here is "for home use."

I too would like to stopped here. Just my humble view.

Let me try again.

Someone attempts to do something.

This something is done through applying procedure A, then procedure B.

The result is not satisfying.

The peep - being an IT technician - presumes that procedure A is the problem.

Upon inspection of the procedures used a supposedly more knowledgeable member determines that the problem is procedure B, instead.

I.e. there will be the SAME failure NO matter if procedure A is applied or not.

Everytime procedure B is applied (since it is improper) there will be a failure.

Procedure A has a limitation with license.

Procedure B has no such limitations.

Should I not suggest how to correct procedure B because the user has previously applied - breaching it's license - procedure A?

I am perfectly OK with this approach, I didn't thought this was a policy of the board.

I got high respect for you, for your deep technical knowledge and resourcefulness, for your generous & very helpful hand you give when people come to msfn forum asking for help, including myself.

I, by no mean, on my part intentionally or disrepectfully wish to discredit you in this discussion. Just thought we can discuss something from a constructive point of view.

Hope you are not offended in any way and certainly hope you can still help/advise me in MSFN forum. (I'm a newbie too because I'm not from the IT industry. Computering is just a hobby for me. There are many things I do not know about IT)

Yeah, sure, nice attempt to preventively soften me. :sneaky:

As well there are plenty of things I don't know and I'm not as well in the IT industry.

Lastly, it is not about who is right or wrong. It's about what is the right thing to do in this kind of situation. From step 1...

I better stop here. Just hope you don't leash out your WEAPON X (a superpower combo by Wolverine in arcade game) on me. (Some lighthearted moment is needed here, I guess)

You got it wrong :ph34r:, in case of war (but there is no war right now :)), the difference is between right and left ;):

motivator7175852.jpg

About the particular issue at hand, in a perfect world an "IT technician" would wear a uniform, with a correspondent rank, like "lieutenant IT", upon public posting on a board like in this case, he would be judged by a martial court that would:

1. downgrade him to "private IT" < for using a "non-commercial only" tool :realmad:
  2. immediately discharge him (OTH) for manifest unsuitability <- for not having learned during training basic copying/cloning procedures :whistle:
  3. remove from command the whatever commanding officer that actually approved the "IT leutenant" to the grade and role he so blatantly failed at. :angel

On the other hand, he posted with sincerity, without mis-representing his role and the environment he was working in, so maybe the court would show some clemency and, taking into account the fact that it is first offence :

1. downgrade him to "private IT" < for using a "non-commercial only" tool
  2. keep him in the ranks < clemency
  3. send him to Leavenworth for three months, then back to training courses <- for not having learned during training basic copying/cloning procedures
  4. remove from command the whatever commanding officer that actually approved the "IT leutenant" to the grade and role he so blatantly failed at.

Not being in a perfect world, and not even in the military, the most I can do is a stern look of disapproval:

stern-look-of-disapproval.gif

jaclaz

We can continue to debate but an ultimate winner is born. (the op's employer). I do not wish to hanker over it. Life is too short. Let's move on. I know you are a good Samaritan :). I respect your view.

Best regards.

We can continue to debate but an ultimate winner is born. (the op's employer). I do not wish to hanker over it. Life is too short. Let's move on. I know you are a good Samaritan :). I respect your view.

Best regards.

Hmmm. dubbio.gif

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042286/quotes?qt=qt0123017

Cochise: To talk of peace is not hard. To live it is very hard.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042286/quotes?qt=qt0123018

Cochise: I break the arrow. I will try the way of peace.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042286/quotes?qt=qt0123022

Cochise: You know what I am thinking? Maybe someday you will kill me, or I will kill you. But we will not spit on each other.

;)

:lol:

jaclaz

@Geej:

One thing you might not have caught, that is if I got it right, was the OP explained was that he was working on his own personal computers for his own personal use, presumably back at home once he gets them set up the way he wants them, thereby staying within nLite's license. The fact that he happened to be doing this at work, with his employer's permission so probably during breaks or after hours ie on his own personal time, should be irrelevant. If you think it is relevant, then do you also think that the opposite is true - ie if you take a work computer home, with your employer's permission of course, use nLite on it at home, and then bring it back to work to use it at work, then is that OK? I don't think so. nLite's license, which gUiTaR_mIkE quoted only mentions how nLite can and cannot be used ie only for personal use, not where ie what building you happen to be in. I think the OP's question is legitimate. He just gave too much information and confused the issue. So jaclaz was correct, and within the boards rules, in providing assistance. Especially if the problem has nothing at all to do with nLite anyway as jaclaz suspects. That's just my two cents.

Cheers and Regards

he was working on his own personal computers for his own personal use

I just had a doubt about someone buying 3 Dells, same model "for personal use, at home", that's why I asked if it was at work. He said yes. From there on, things were quite ambiguous. But Jaclaz solved his problem, lets move on.

@Geej:

One thing you might not have caught, that is if I got it right, was the OP explained was that he was working on his own personal computers for his own personal use, presumably back at home once he gets them set up the way he wants them, thereby staying within nLite's license. The fact that he happened to be doing this at work, with his employer's permission so probably during breaks or after hours ie on his own personal time, should be irrelevant. If you think it is relevant, then do you also think that the opposite is true - ie if you take a work computer home, with your employer's permission of course, use nLite on it at home, and then bring it back to work to use it at work, then is that OK? I don't think so. nLite's license, which gUiTaR_mIkE quoted only mentions how nLite can and cannot be used ie only for personal use, not where ie what building you happen to be in. I think the OP's question is legitimate. He just gave too much information and confused the issue. So jaclaz was correct, and within the boards rules, in providing assistance. Especially if the problem has nothing at all to do with nLite anyway as jaclaz suspects. That's just my two cents.

Cheers and Regards

Well, it must be a VERY COMPREHENSIVE and "liberal" employer, in order to allow his/her employee attempting to install the thingy on 3 (three) different computers (but same exact model), unless of course I got it wrong and the peep has three identical DELL's at home (a setup that is not AFAIK very common :unsure:).

I do agree on the opinion that jaclaz was correct, though. ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz