WinXP Pro SP3 x86

KiSalvation

Hi there.

Last week I nLite'd an Windows XP Pro SP3 install.

That install is updated as of July 2011. No custom software, fresh build. Very minimal removed and works perfect on (Machine 1)

I tried to then do an "NTBACKUP" and "DriveImage XML" of the above (as i knew it worked) and saved these to a network share on our data server.

My next step was to then: Format, Re-Partition and then "Restore" from these on (Machine 2 & Machine 3)

Noting all 3 machines are the exact same hardware.

So, i booted up "Reatago" then Formatted & Partitioned both drives.

Starting NTBACKUP then choosing restore etc selecting the Network Share with the .BKF on.

This all runs smoothly and the system boots, i go to logon and i get "Excuting: Q\Windows\System32\wlnotify.dll"

Next thing it logs me back out and doesn't logon. This problem occurs for every user.

This also happens when using the "DriveImage XML" process AND in safe mode.

Any idea's would be great!

Hi KiSalvation

Just a heads up...

Your use of nLite is governed by the following conditions. Please read this information carefully before using nLite. By using it you are agreeing to the following conditions:

1. nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes, subject to the following restrictions.

2. nLite can only be distributed electronically through the official host www.nliteos.com.

3. nLite is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of nLite.

4. Import Restrictions. International users also check any import restrictions that your government may impose. Reread eula.txt in your Windows\System32 folder.

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

6. MCDBNET2.dll is registered on me (the nLite author) with the royalty-free license and can be distributed only bundled with nLite.

7. nLite is a copyrighted material of Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi. You may not decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer this product. You may not include the parts of nLite in your software without the author's permission. You may not alter or modify nLite in any way or create a new installer for it.

Copyright © 2004-2008, Dino Nuhagic (nuhi)

This is going to come up in your particular situation, just FYI.

Well of course it will, but the nlite CD was produced at home & their my personal computers, the fact i'm doing them at work should be irrelevant?

I'm just stumped at why this IS happening, i have the original WinXP Pro x86 CD keys. (not just the Dell OEM) but that's not the support i'm looking for.

The fact of the matter is, i'm sure theres atleast one person who's had this problem on this.

I've done another build, fresh install, the backup still doesn't work. so if anyone knows, (or someone can put this into a relevant forum section) then please do.

I'm an IT Technician, but this has stumped me, he knows i'm doing it and he's fine with it, now any chance of some helpful advice?

It's not about 'Your employer' AUTHORITY. As your problem all boiled down to nlited image, the correct authority is still 'nhui' AUTHORITY. If every person thinks like you and deploy their nlited image to corporation even though all hardware are identical, then it goes against nhui spirit that it was intended for home use only. Hope that make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course i understand what your saying but that's my point.

I created the image at home, which i've already stated. The current hardware that the nLited image is going to be used on, are my personal computers at home, which i've already stated. Just because i'm completing the task inside a workplace should have no infringement on that. Considering the said "PC's & OS Disk" are neither owned or being deployed by a higher power of the business.

Edited by KiSalvation

I would say that the use of nlite is completely irrelevant and NOT connected to the issue.

I tried to then do an "NTBACKUP" and "DriveImage XML" of the above (as i knew it worked) and saved these to a network share on our data server.

NTBACKUP does a backup. ;)

DriveImageXML does an image of the drive (NOT of the disk :whistle: )

Who/What/How is taking care of disk signature? :ph34r:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22984

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22984page&st=6

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249321/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555648/en-us

Or clear HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices on the OFFLINE registry.

jaclaz

Great thank you, i can now get logged in.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction of why my login hangs for a good few minutes before completing logon?

HOW did you fix the logon issue? (choose one):

1. Microsoft's way of removing/changing drive letter in Registry (wrong) <- this is intended as a way to manage to log in *somehow*
  2. Correcting disk signature/Mounted devices (right) <- this is how everything should be, right disk signature/partition coupled to "right" system partition AND drive letter

See also here (ONLY seemingly unrelated):

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19663

jaclaz

It seems to me that the Restore was corrupt somehow.. created a new Restore file & restored to the disk. Logon works, but hangs a considerable amount & CPU stays at 100%, any ideas?

Edited by KiSalvation

It seems to me that the Restore was corrupt somehow.. created a new Restore file & restored to the disk. Logon works, but hangs a considerable amount & CPU stays at 100%, any ideas?

I asked you a question, can you reply to it?

And no, there is no way that a restore or a new applying of a driveimageXML image can solve the logon problem, you used one of the two given solutions (probably the "wrong" one).

jaclaz