custom avatars and signatures

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Tripredacus

Can you please enlighten me on what your member name, Tripredacus, means *to you*?

What does "K-Mart-ian Legend" mean *to you*?

Is Tripredacus a Transformer?

Is the figure in your avatar actually "Tripredacus"?

Is the figure in your avatar a Transformer?

I'd like to present this animated GIF as an example of my work on another graphics forum I'm on, if it's O.K. with you, of course.

Many Thanks!

Sincerely,

Larry

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tripredacus is definately a Transformer but is also a faction. Tripredacus (Tripledacus in Japan) is a combination of 3 robots, each with their own personality: Cicadacon, Seaclamp and Ramhorn. Originally I picked the name after trying to register a domain name and trying 200 other Transformers name unsuccessfully through (then) Tucows. Tripredacus worked and I picked that, and then took up that name and things went on from there.

K-Mart-ian Legend is a joke and a joke that I did not even come up with. Quite a few years ago, someone had defaced the Gobots page on Wikipedia, relabling instances of the term "Gobots" to "K-Mart Transformers" playing on the idea that they were an inferior product to Transformers. Another term found on the defaced page was that the "Gobots are the Transformers of K-Mart-ian Legend." I had reported this deface to someone else at the time who got it reverted, prior to me having an account on TOW or knowing how to use that site. You can see it in the revision history of the Gobots page (2006) or this history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Mart_Transformers

After this, I was jokingly referred to as the K-Mart-ian Legend, so I ended up using that title everywhere.

The character in my avatar is a Transformer, but it is not Tripredacus. The reason for this is that the Tripredacus gestalt didn't really have any good art representations until fairly recently. I didn't want to use one of the individual members since I related to the combination of personalities of the character rather than just one part of it. Here is a picture of what the Tripredacus gestalt character looks like.

The character in my avatar is actually Ravage, who was one of the cassette characters that accompanied Soundwave. When Tripredacus made its first (non-combined) appearance in the Beast Wars "cartoon" series, Ravage was an agent of that organization.

You can use that image on another forum, I have no problem with that.

Many Thanks, Tripredacus,

for your very complete and detailed response to all my questions.

I was hoping that you would go into such detail, for I had wondered about my questions for a long time.

The gestalt, unified-whole, image of Tripredacus was indeed something to see.

That image would fit right in with one's worst nightmare!

Many Thanks for allowing me to post my animation on another forum.

On that forum, the maximum file size allowed for uploading an image is 200 KB.

The file size of the image I presented here was 397 KB, and it had 255 colors.

My animator can reduce the number of colors, so that the file size can be reduced.

To get below 200 KB, I could use only 31 colors -- (the file size then was 197 KB) -- and the image was terrible, primarily because the bright red pulsations became a dingy-dirty-brown color.

So, I'm going to have to try some other variations to get an acceptable 200 KB image.

I'll Post the results, hoping that someone might find them interesting.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Larry

Hello, Everyone:

I'd like to publicly thank Kelsenellenelvian, who recommended (in Post # 151) Jasc Animation Shop 3.11 for making animated GIFs.

I've used this software to make all the animations presented in this thread.

The program is beautiful in its thorough documentation and it is straight-forwardly easy to use.

So far, my approach has been to make all frames, individually, in Photoshop, and then use the Animator to animate the frames and to optimize the animation.

In using Jasc Animation Shop 3.11, I have not yet explored using the other features, such as effects and transitions, but I will do so in the future.

Thanks again, Kelsenellenelvian !

It just dawned on me that I haven't presented (on this thread) the first animated GIF image I made with Jasc Animation Shop 3.11:

LBBL_avatar.gif

This is a very simple 8-frame animation, and I'm using it as an avatar on another forum I'm on.

In my Post # 240, I presented an animated GIF userbar I made for Tripredacus.

It was based on his avatar image and his "label" underneath that image.

http://postimage.org/image/4y2xicmub/

Ani_MS_114frames_0_10sec_255colors_OO_ED_327_KB.gif

This GIF has a file size of 327 KB.

Tripredacus said, in Post # 241, that I could present this image, as an example of my work, on another forum I'm on.

But, on that forum, the maximum file size for uploading an image is only 200 KB, so I had to reduce the file size of the above GIF.

In my animator, Jasc Animation Shop 3.11, one may customize the color settings in order to balance image quality vs. file size.

The best option to reduce colors is “Error Diffusion”

which reduces colors by spreading out the inaccuracy in representing a pixel’s color to the surrounding pixels.

When it replaces a color, the inaccuracy, or “error,” is carried to the next pixel, where the error is added to the color before selecting the nearest color.

This process is repeated for every pixel in the image.

Among the methods to create a color palette in the animator are:

“Standard Palette”

which uses a generic palette that contains a balanced number of colors.

“Optimized Octree”

which uses an 8-bits per channel palette, thereby giving more accuracy than Standard Palette, but also giving a greater file size than Standard Palette.

The animated GIF shown above is *top-quality*, and it was made using "Error Diffusion" and "Optimized Octree".

I was able to reduce the file size of this GIF to 178 KB in the animator by using "Error Diffusion" and "Standard Palette":

http://postimage.org/image/a1ntaupbr/

Ani_UB_114frames_0_10sec_255colors_SP_ED_178_KB.gif

This GIF is of a *lower quality* than the first-presented image above, but in my opinion, it is *much better*, because the background scanlines have been transformed into *ABSOLUTE MAGIC*!

The background, to me, looks like "flowing water", an "illusion", a "TV channel with nothing but static", etc., etc., etc., ... "infinity".

To discuss "philosophy" for a moment:

What does it mean that a lower-quality image turns out looking *much better* than a top-quality image?

To me, it means that God is rewarding me for all the hard work I put into making this animated GIF. (lol)

In my Post # 214, I presented some static userbars in the "Countries" category.

Among the images shown was http://postimage.org/image/ghzuzkb4n/ for Albania:

18_Albania_UB2.jpg

As time went on, I became dissatisfied with this image. Among other things, I shouldn't have used white scanlines, because the Albanian flag colors are strictly red and black. Also, I made the opacity of the ellipse layer too great. Also, the double-headed eagle was rather small.

So, to ease my "creative-genius, artistic mind" -- (lol) -- I made the the frame-by-frame animated GIF userbar shown here:

http://postimage.org/image/8b0sd18dt/

Ani_218frames_156unique_0_06sec_OO_ED_255colors.gif

I feel that this userbar does better justice to the beautiful Albanian flag. "Paqe" in Albanian translates to "Peace" in English. The animation has 218 frames (156 unique frames), a display time of 0.06 second per frame, 255 colors, and a file size of 163 KB. The vertical scrolling took place in increments of 1 pixel per frame. I used the top-quality animator settings of "Optimized Octree" and "Error Diffusion", which were discussed in my last Post.

Basically, the animation is rather simple, involving just two features: the vertical scrolling (which is simple to understand); and the appearing-and-disappearing of the 3 variables, the double-headed eagle and the words "Peace" and "Paqe".

I will very briefly describe the technique I used to achieve this appearing-and-disappearing.

I basically just used opacity changes for the different frames.

Let "X" represent one of the 3 variables mentioned above. Let "red" represent a solid-red background, with no image or lettering on it. Let % represent the opacity of "X" on the Photoshop layer before "X" was linked and merged with the red background (to produce a 100% opacity layer, of course). Let # represent the frame number, in the numerical order shown.

By a little trial and error, I found that the following frame sequence worked well for the appearance and disappearance of *each* X:

# 1, # 2, # 3 -- red

# 4 -- 10% X

# 5 -- 20% X

# 6 -- 30% X

# 7 -- 40% X

# 8 -- 50% X

# 9 -- 60% X

# 10 -- 70% X

# 11 through # 19 -- 100% X

Frames # 20 through # 29 were just a "symmetrical-reverse" of # 1 through # 10:

# 20 -- 70% X

# 21 -- 60% X

# 22 -- 50% X

# 23 -- 40% X

# 24 -- 30% X

# 25 -- 20% X

# 26 -- 10% X

# 27, # 28, # 29 -- red

And, that's all there was to it !

In my MSFN Post # 713 (here), I established 2 things:

# 1: the greatest music video *in the history of the universe* is

;

# 2: PRIMUS SUCKS!

As for # 1, of course, it is IMHO (not "In My Humble Opinion", but "In My Highly-regarded Opinion", lol).

As for # 2, for those of you not familiar with the band Primus, the expression "Primus Sucks!" is used by the group's fans as a compliment of the *highest order*, in the same way that the expression, "You're Bad!" can be a compliment and actually mean the opposite.

Well, this is a Graphics Thread -- (more or less, lol) -- and the above "preamble" leads naturally into the animated GIF userbar that I made today for Primus:

http://postimage.org/image/bqq8pfgf9/

Ani_88frames_76unique_0_14sec_255colors_OO_ED_19.gif

This is a frame-by-frame animation:

88 frames (76 unique frames), with a display time of 0.14 sec per frame, 255 colors, 197 KB.

The vertical-scrolling rate was 1 pixel per frame.

I had to slow the animation down so that the red "pulsations" on the letters would be more noticeable.

Each red letter stays in place for 3 frames, so each letter is actually visible for 3x(0.14sec)=0.42sec.

The construction of this animation was similar to that described in my Post # 240 for Tripredacus's userbar (which was based on his avatar), but it was simpler, because no linear-gradient bottom layers were used.

I got the face image from Primus's "Antipop" album cover (by removing the background around the face) and I used brown and purple tones in the userbar to be compatible with the colors in the face.

I made the "Primus" first in white, and then made two copies (one in light brown, the other in dark gray) via Photoshop "Clipping Paths", and arranged the three as shown, by "staggering", to give something of a 3-dimensional look.

I hope you enjoyed looking at the Primus animation and watching and listening to "Shake Hands With Beef".

Sincerely,

Larry

Edited by larryb123456

To me, Art is interesting, because one might think that the perfect image has been produced, but on re-examining the image the next day, one might conclude that another version is superior.

Such is the case with the Primus animation I presented yesterday, http://postimage.org/image/bqq8pfgf9/

Ani_88frames_76unique_0_14sec_255colors_OO_ED_19.gif

This image has a display time of 0.14 sec per frame.

I said I used this "slow" display time so that the red pulsations on the letters would be more noticeable.

But now I feel that a smaller display time of 0.07 sec per frame makes the red pulsations *even more noticeable*, because they are moving more quickly and seem more "energetic".

Also, the vertical scrolling of the faces is not in "boring-super-slow-motion", as before.

0.07 sec display time per frame, http://postimage.org/image/klk3mie53/

Ani_88frames_76unique_0_07sec_255colors_OO_ED_19.gif

Since each red letter stays in place for 3 frames, the display time for each red pulsation is 3x(0.07sec)=0.21 sec.

IMHO, with all things considered, this animation is much better.

Since I know, from experience, that you want your images perfect, I just thought I would point out that those of us with red-green color blindness, (up to 10% of the population http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness) have a very hard time seeing the "red pulsing letters". The part that is red is so small I really didn't see it at all until I enlarged it. If you actually made the entire letter red, and not just the outline, then at least there would be enough volume of color to be more noticeable and draw my attention, if that was your goal. As it is, even staring at it and concentrating, the letters look completely static at the default size on my monitor (23" flat screen 1920x1080). Figured you would want to know.

By the way, the length of time of the pulsations, the previous post vs the last one, made no difference in this regard. The problem, for me at least, is that the amount of color is just too small to see. If it is enlarged to 200% I can tell something is happening, and at 300% I can see it clearly.

Cheers and Regards

@jaclaz

This Post has absolutely no relevance on a Art thread, but I guess it would qualify in the sense of "mental" Art.

I'm putting the Post here, thinking that you might see it.

How did you get so *absolutely fluent* in writing the English language, even down to the infinitesimal nuances?

If one didn't know better, they would think you were from a primarily-English-speaking country.

Better late than never. :blushing:

I have a number of idols or myths in literature, among them I would rate in the very first places G.K. Chesterton (which specifically is irrelevant if not as an excellent writer of what I find a very good English) and Joseph Conrad.

I mean, a polish ship captain becoming one of the greatest novelists in another language? :thumbup

If he managed to do that, I can try to at least write posts on a board in a decent English. ;)

Thank you for your appraciation, but I still think that my non-native-English condition can be spotted allright.....

When you write (or speak) English, how do you "turn off" the Italian part of your brain?

That's rather easy, actually, the hard part is to try and switch the Vulcan logic part off. :ph34r:

English is the only language I know.

If I knew another language, when writing something it would be about a half-and-half combination of English and the other language (i.e., absolute gobbledegook).

No, it won't happen, when you will learn to a certain level another language, the "switch" simply becomes automatic.

The advantage for a Latin to learn English (or German for that matters) is that you have *everything* completely different.

It is much more difficult to learn properly another Latin language, as the amount of "false friends" :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_friend

is enormously bigger.

Did you learn English as a young child?

Only up to a certain point, some basis, the rest is through reading (and of course some experience in life, I have been working for some time in English speaking countries or however in positions where English was the "common language" ).

jaclaz

Many, Many Thanks, bphlpt, for your *excellent commentary*.

Figured you would want to know.

Most definitely !!!

I have kind of gotten into the habit of "red-pulsing" my letters just on the outline, since I can see the red O.K.

I use red since it seems to fit in with all-color-schemed backgrounds, and it is kind of the "universal-attention-getting" color (i.e., witness the red-flashing lights on police cars, ambulances, etc.).

Also, blue, green, etc. pulses might look "ugly" on a given background.

What color(s) can *you* absolutely see, if I used them for the pulses?

When I have black-outlined white letters, and red-pulse the outlines, the sudden transition between the black-to-red *guarantees*, for me at least, great pulse visibility.

A lot of the userbars I have shown in this thread have such black-outlined white letters with red pulses replacing the black outlines. (For example, the Tripredacus animation in Post # 240, http://postimage.org/image/4y2xicmub/)

Can you see these red pulsations any better, bphlpt?

A black (or dark gray) outlined letter was not appropriate for Primus -- (I tried it and it didn't look right) -- since the "appropriate" color scheme, IMO, was brown and purple to coordinate with the colors in the face.

For the Primus userbar, "red-pulsing" the letters themselves -- (rather than the outlines) -- might(?) have been a much better option, since the light-brown outline would not have provided such a low contrast with the red letter as to make reading the (light-brown-outline)/(red-letter) combination difficult. To explain: for example, red pixel letters with a black outline are hard to read, since there isn't much contrast between the 2 colors at the *small* 7-pixel (including outline) size.

Why I used "might(?)" in the last paragraph, and this is the "fundamental question":

You've established that you can't see well the 1-pixel-wide red *outlines*.

You suggested making the letters themselves red.

BUT, the letters themselves are only 1-pixel wide too.

So, are you going to be able to see the red letters any better than the red outlines?

Thanks Again, bphlpt !

Awaiting your comments.

Edited by larryb123456

Hello, jaclaz:

Better late than never.

You are so correct !!!

I cried myself to sleep many nights thinking that you were neglecting me on purpose. (LOL!)

I can try to at least write posts on a board in a decent English.

*Much better* than "decent".

the hard part is to try and switch the Vulcan logic part off

Funny!

the "switch" simply becomes automatic

I would guess that "automatic" is not "universal", but that it depends on the intelligence (among other things, etc.) of the individual.

I have been working for some time in English speaking countries

I'm sure that has been of great benefit in *maintaining* your English fluency at its high level.

Thanks again for responding, jaclaz.

Hey Larry! Let our good natured, all in good fun and hope to learn something, banter begin. :) [if I use any color or graphic related term incorrectly please forgive and correct me.]

... I use red since it seems to fit in with all-color-schemed backgrounds, and it is kind of the "universal-attention-getting" color (i.e., witness the red-flashing lights on police cars, ambulances, etc.)....

Stop signs were originally yellow, and police more often, around here, use flashing blue lights. Flashing red lights have also been known to give certain people epileptic seizures. Certain shades of solid red letters against a certain shade of solid blue background seems, to me, to be flashing even when it is not and gives me a headache and is almost impossible for me to read. But I agree that red seems to go better with the color schemes I have seen you use.

...What color(s) can *you* absolutely see, if I used them for the pulses?..

Nothing is ever absolute, it's always relative - as you've said, a matter of contrast. Factors include color, amount of the color, brightness, background, and context, among others. It also helps to have something to compare it to. For example, if I'm driving at night on a deserted road and come over a hill and come upon a red light that is either yellow or red and it is too dark or rainy for me to see the outline of the light, I can't be positive which it is - yellow or red. So I slow down. If the light moves and gets darker/duller in color then that means it was yellow and now it is red. If it doesn't change, it was already red. In either case I'm already slowing down so I'm prepared. The green lights do not look green, but rather a slightly off-white, not unlike some street lights. So again in the dark and rain if I can't see the traffic light outline I might not even realize there is a light there at all. But if it's green then it really doesn't matter. Regardless, I've never had any problem whatsoever driving in the last 42 years because of my "condition".

When I have black-outlined white letters, and red-pulse the outlines, the sudden transition between the black-to-red *guarantees*, for me at least, great pulse visibility... For example, the Tripredacus animation in Post # 240...

Snap8.png

For the Primus userbar, "red-pulsing" the letters themselves -- (rather than the outlines) -- might(?) have been a much better option, since the light-brown outline would not have provided such a low contrast with the red letter as to make reading the (light-brown-outline)/(red-letter) combination difficult. To explain: for example, red pixel letters with a black outline are hard to read, since there isn't much contrast between the 2 colors at the *small* 7-pixel (including outline) size.

Snap7.png

... this is the "fundamental question":

You've established that you can't see well the 1-pixel-wide red *outlines*.

You suggested making the letters themselves red.

BUT, the letters themselves are only 1-pixel wide too.

So, are you going to be able to see the red letters any better than the red outlines?

Yes I can see the Tripredacus animation "better". I think you are right that the various differences in contrast to both the original outline color and the background compared to that of the Primus image are the reason that is true, since I would assume the "red" is the same in both color and dimension in both cases, and the letters themselves are the same color and dimension? (The images I included above are enlarged 400%.) But yet, to me, in the Tripredacus animation the red appears much brighter and the letters very slightly brighter. Against the respective backgrounds, the edge of the letters appears much sharper in the Tripredacus image, while the edge of the letters in the Pimus image appears almost fuzzy or blurry, since it blends in more with the background. I realize that this is sometimes a desired result, but I'm just saying ...

You are right that making the letters red instead of the outline will still result in a 1 pixel line, but it will be the white changing to red instead of the light-brown changing to red - a higher contrast change. If that doesn't work, you could also try changing BOTH the letter AND outline to red. That would give a 3 pixel width amount of color, so would be a larger amount of the color, and you would be changing the contrasts of both the outline and the letter, all while making no changes to the color palette. You could even change 3 letters at once - for one letter change both the outline and the letter, while for the letters on either side of that letter change only the outline. However that might be too extreme. I think you and I both appreciate subtlety.

In any case, you are the artist, and in this case the client as well, and color blind people are in the minority. But I knew you would want your work to be appreciated by as wide an audience as possible - otherwise, why post it anywhere at all?

Cheers and Regards my friend

Edited by bphlpt

Thanks, bphlpt, for the very-detailed and well-thought-out Post.

I had prepared a Post -- (that I think you might find interesting) -- before I saw your Post, and I'll present it here after I make some short responses to yours.

you could also try changing BOTH the letter AND outline to red. That would give a 3 pixel width amount of color, so would be a larger amount of the color

This wouldn't work in userbars having the small 5-pixel-tall bitmap letters with their 1-pixel outline. Consider the letter "E" for example. If we colored the letter AND the outline red, we would wind up with a solid-red rectangle. We'd have similar unreadable results for all the other letters too.

However, your concept is indeed applicable when using taller letters.

For example, when I have some text that looks a little too "scrawny", I commonly beef it up by giving it a 1, 2, 3, or even a 4 pixel outline (i.e., "stroke").

This is the "poor man's" way to "own" a lot of bold fonts. (lol)

I think you and I both appreciate subtlety.

For sure, on my end, bphlpt !

But it has to be *effective* subtlety.

Subtlety that is so subtle as to have no effect is a waste of time, IMO.

My Post here does concern what I feel is an example of effective subtlety in the Primus userbar.

But I knew you would want your work to be appreciated by as wide an audience as possible - otherwise, why post it anywhere at all?

I would tend to agree with your statement if it read, "I would want my work to be appreciated by a wide audience".

Eliminate the "as possible", because that could lead to my modifying (i.e., watering down) my *true* artistic intents, and that wouldn't be fair to my artistic "spirit".

Plus, you can't satisfy *everybody*.

As far as those artists who make art of absolutely no interest to *anyone* but *themselves*: an art teacher of mine called them "artistic masturbators".

Well, I'll now present the Post I had prepared.

Regarding bphlpt's Post concerning his not being able to see well the red pulsations in my Primus userbar:

I wanted to investigate a little further, *visually*, so I made two additional versions of the userbar.

Each version was really easy to make by using the following steps:

I copied all my JPEG frames for the version with the red pulsations into a new folder, opened each JPEG, looked for the red outline, colored in the outline with the new-version-outline color, and saved and closed each JPEG.

All this took about half an hour per version, including the animation.

In the first version, I "threw subtlety out the window" to achieve *maximum visibility* for the pulsations, just to see how that would look:

http://postimage.org/image/ygve5t8ld/

Ani_88frames_76unique_0_07sec_255colors_OO_ED_20.gif

The outline color is not black, but it is very dark, and it was sampled from a color in the reddish-brown hair of the image.

As one can see, the dark pulsations are "out of place" with the softness of the rest of the image, and these pulsations compete too strongly for attention with the scrolling of the face images. (IMHO, of course.)

In the second version, I sampled a purple color from the image's tongue and adjusted its luminosity to get a good balance between subtlety and letter visibility.

This purple color is quite a bit darker than the light-brown outlines (so that contrast with the white letters would be strong), but the purple color essentially disappears into the purple-toned background, thereby leaving more or less just the white of the letters:

http://postimage.org/image/u771xlloh/

Ani_88frames_76unique_0_07sec_255colors_OO_ED_20.gif

Even though this image is very "soft", I think it is effective, because the pulsations can be seen clearly because of the way the purple outlines "drop out" (essentially) leaving just the white letters to contrast with the surrounding light-brown outlines, which are always very visible.

Sincerely,

Larry

Added in a much later edit:

In the above discussion, where I said, "This purple color is quite a bit darker than the light-brown outlines", I misspoke.

I meant to say, "This purple color is somewhat darker than the light-brown outlines".

Edited by larryb123456

I can try to at least write posts on a board in a decent English.

*Much better* than "decent".

I agree on this as well. ;)

Snap7.png

Yes I can see the Tripredacus animation "better". I think you are right that the various differences in contrast to both the original outline color and the background compared to that of the Primus image are the reason that is true, since I would assume the "red" is the same in both color and dimension in both cases, and the letters themselves are the same color and dimension? (The images I included above are enlarged 400%.) But yet, to me, in the Tripredacus animation the red appears much brighter and the letters very slightly brighter. Against the respective backgrounds, the edge of the letters appears much sharper in the Tripredacus image, while the edge of the letters in the Pimus image appears almost fuzzy or blurry, since it blends in more with the background. I realize that this is sometimes a desired result, but I'm just saying ...

When I look at this zoomed in look to the Primus version, I can see that there may be a color selection difference. Primus had used the pink/beige color in their album art, which may be why it was chosen in this example. However different looks may be achieved by using different "pulse" colors, including colors such as white or light gray.

Red would work well for mine as I have only presented images which use the white-red-black type images. While these are my favorite colors, that doesn't mean that those creating images or animations need to limit themselves to those colors.