win6x_registry_tweak

Legolash2o

Just want to point out you should only unhide components you want to remove, unhiding ALL might break add/remove windows features

I did only this, Sir:

install_wim_tweak.exe /o /l

install_wim_tweak.exe /o /c PACKAGENAME /r

because I'm a stoopid noob when it comes to Win7 and I don't know anything more. :angel

But thank you, Sir. :hello:

GL

have you tested it with Vista? For me it doesn't work.

Component : "Microsoft-Windows-DFSR-ClientEdition-Package"

------------------Starting-----------------
Creating BKP of registry file... OK
Mounting registry file... OK
Taking Ownership... OK
Editing 'Packages' subkeys 3/3OK
Editing 'PackagesPending' subkeys 2/2OK
Modifying registry completed sucessfully.
Unmounting key... OK
Removing 'Packages'... FAIL
Unhandled error occured.
Die Länge darf nicht kleiner als 0 (null) sein.
Parametername: length

ok, it works with Vista, too. I don't know what went wrong yesterday :unsure:

Btw, I have an idea. It would be cool if we can have a text file with all package names which we want to remove. Now we should only specify a parameter and your tool reads the text file and removes all the listed packages.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks, Lego, hadn't seen this yet. Only found it on accident because someone posted a link over here.

http://mikecel79.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/dism-gui-4-0-feature-requests/#comment-204

Does running the DISM remove-feature with the online switch rip everything out of the SXS folder reducing your C: drive ? Or does it just remove the feature from the OS and we can run dism enable-feature without requiring the DVD (i.e. files are still in SXS)

install_wim_tweak.exe /o

This will unhide all the packages on the currently installed OS

Edited by MrJinje

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can I use this tool to uninstall and re-install Windows Defender?

Win8 64-bit Pro. Windows Defender Service is running but when I try to run Windows Defender app to bring up the control panel for it I get:

"An error ocurred in the program during initialization.....

error code 0x80073b01

I must have changed a registry setting or something to break it but in true MS fashion, the error message has no meaningful info aside from the error code which when Googled appears to be a rare error.

• 5 months later...

please, can someone post a common "hungry resources" w8 feature list to remove without system-break risk? thanks

Know it's an old thread, but interested in this too. Have a fully up to date install.win @ a staggering 5gb.

Have done some tweaking & removal with dism though nothing considerable! Most 3rd party tools either refuse to work or totally break install!

• 1 month later...

I am getting the below "The system cannot find the file specified" error when trying to remove packages with install_wim_tweak. I am trying to remove packages using a WinXP SP3 x86 host system.

set MNT="E:\Mnt\Win7ProNSP1"
install_wim_tweak.exe /p %MNT% /r /c Microsoft-Windows-BLB-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514

-------------------------------------------
--------Registry Tweak Tool v1.4.6.0-------
---------------for Windows 6.x-------------
---------Created by Michal Wnuowski--------
-----------Modified by Legolash2o----------
-------------------------------------------

MountPath : "E:\Mnt\Win7ProNSP1"
Component : "Microsoft-Windows-BLB-Client-Package"

------------------Starting-----------------
Creating BKP of registry file... OK
Mounting registry file... OK
Taking Ownership... OK
Editing 'Packages' subkeys 1/1OK
Editing 'PackagesPending' subkeys 1/1OK
Modifying registry completed sucessfully.
Unmounting key... OK
Removing 'Packages'... 1/1The system cannot find the file specified
OK
Removed packages successfully.
Removing 'PackagesPending'... 1/1The system cannot find the file specified
OK
Removed packages successfully.

-------------------Ending------------------

Update: Figured it out if I use dism.exe instead it works fine. I used install_wim_tweak to unhide all the packages.

install_wim_tweak /p %MNT%
dism /image:%MNT% /Remove-Package /PackageName:Microsoft-Windows-Backup-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514

The way I recommend is that to:

0. Set your vars

set MNT="E:\Mnt\Win7ProNSP1"

1. Use install_wim_tweak to unhide all the packages

install_wim_tweak /p %MNT%

2. Use DISM to get a list of all packages and export it to a text file:

dism /image:%MNT% /Get-Packages > Dism_Get_Packages_List.txt

3. Then use a text editor with good search/replace functionality and replace "Package Identity : " with "dism /image:%MNT% /Remove-Package /PackageName:" and remove all other metadata lines. Then go through that full package list and delete or REM out the lines for the packages you don't want to remove (using pdf from liquid0624 for reference to choose). Save that as a batch file and run.

Edited by robertcollier4

• 1 month later...

hey guys, very usefull thread, indeed. I used install_wim_tweak on a mounted image and unhid the packages. I ran the "get-packages" dism command and saved the list to a ms word file (the list of packages is like 30 pages and it's only the names like "Microsoft-Media-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.7600.16385").

my image is win7 sp1 x86.

the problem is that when I try to run " /get-packageinfo /packagename: ... " dism command, most of the time I get an error message saiyng: "the specified package is not valid Windows package". For instance it shows such an error for the package I mentioned above.

So is it that despite tweaking the image with install_wim_tweak, dism still will not be able to get and display the info, the content of the package ? the feauters?

If so, is there any documentations describing these packages ?

otherwise, how am I supposed to know what I am removing ?

cheers,

eveafterdark

PS just to be more specific: the 30 pages list is created when running install_wim_tweak with /l, no idea why there's so many of them ...
running dism get-packages creates shorter list with some info like this: Release Type : Language Pack

Edited by eveafterdark

• 3 months later...

Is a /h key a really working? When I put it as parameter to restore original permissions for registry, install_wim_tweak just ignore it and take ownership again:

D:\Test>utils\install_wim_tweak /p Mount /h---------------------------------------------------Registry Tweak Tool v1.4.6.0----------------------for Windows 6.x----------------------Created by Michal Wnuowski-------------------Modified by Legolash2o-----------------------------------------------------MountPath : "Mount"------------------Starting-----------------Creating BKP of registry file...         OKMounting registry file...                OKTaking Ownership...                      OKEditing 'Packages' subkeys        571/571OKEditing 'PackagesPending' subkeys        FAIL - Key not existModifying registry completed sucessfully.-------------------Ending------------------Unmounting key...                        OK