Mobo dead after flash

TechMike

Hi

I have a "review" (prototype type board) that I bought on eBay (which shouldn't have been sold!), I didn't know it at the time until the manufacturer told me. Anyway I wanted to update the bios so I went to the MSI webpage, its a P55a-G55. I download the latest bios, 1.4 and tried to update it in the BIOS but it wouldn't let me do it (I have a cpu problem that freezes the pc sometimes) so I downloaded Afuwin64 and flashed it, it did warn me and say that it should add a paramater so I let it add it, then when I restarted it went into BIOS recovery mode, so it read from the flash drive Bios 1.4 and flashed it again I presume (it seems to do it rather quick). Then it didn't start up at all. I tried going to the Recovery mode again (Ctrl+Home) and tried all the BIOS's from 1.0 to 1.4, also tried renaming to AMIBIOS.ROM and AMIBOOT.ROM but it justs says no file found. It will only flash the 1.4 bios filename (A7668IMS.140) so I renamed previous BIOS's to the same filename but it still won't start.

I did try to backup the previous BIOS from within the bios but it froze the computer again, but it did write to my flashdrive, however the BIOS was only 2MB when all the BIOS's downloaded from the MSI site are 4MB so either it didn't fully write properly or the board is using some sort of pre-retail beta bios. But I deleted it as I thought it was unrepairable and can't seem to find it with undelete.

Anyone have any ideas?

You should do the BIOS flash from a DOS disk or USB key.

AFUD4310.EXE A7668IMS.140

AMI BIOS can require a specific flashing utility to work properly. Not sure why. I've got about 5 different flashers for MSI boards.

Otherwise, try out MSI's support forum.