AMD or Intel processor for running VMware workstation

bookie32

Hi folks! :hello:

There is a ton of info out there.....about AMD and Intel processors, but just wondered which is best suited to VMware Workstation.

OK! not looking to build a specific server....too expensive at the moment, but looking for a computer that has power for the host but doesn't lag in the virtual department....

I will more than likely be running Windows Ultimate and using my VMware workstation...

Been looking at Hyper-v and am interested in that as welll....LOL

I am not interested in gaming at all, so I don't need a mobo for that.....

I understand that a great deal of memory is needed for virtualisation to run well.....

Some say you need an Intel processor with hyperthreading and some say AMD are just better...

I would really welcome suggestions on mobo processor etc

I have looked at a chassi and am toying with the FRACTAL DESIGN MIDITOWER DEFINE R3 BLACK or the NZXT MIDITOWER H2 ATX BLACK, but would welcome opinions on that as well....

As for he cooling of the processor - haven't tried water cooling and don't know what is good/bad...I have tried the NOCTUA NH-D14 S-1155/1156/1366/AM3 and it is reliable and stable...would welcome input on that as well......

More Info:

I am going to be using this computer for testing distros and updating windows 7 etc... in VMware, so it will need to cope, but as I said I am interested in Hyper-v and would like to build a computer capable of running that as well.....

It will also be used as a storage vessel for my images and am toying with the idea of dualbooting Windows and Ubuntu for that...have already tried FOG and like that for imaging.

Sorry, for the missmash of info...just a bit tired of looking at all the variables and can't decide on which processor or mobo.....HELP!

Thanks, as always for your help!

bookie32

Been running the following for 6 months with good results.

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz

Western Digital Caviar Black WDBAAZ0020HNC-NRSN 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB

Having W7-Pro SP1, XP-Pro SP3, W2K-Pro SP4, W98SE and Ultimate Linux all running at the same time is sweet. There are no stability/sluggishness issues what so ever, so in time I will be putting a server on there as well. Using W7-Pro SP1 as host OS.

jd

Note that the CPU is not as important as DISK speed when talking about virtualization on a workstation scale. This changes, of course, in high-density server environments, but for workstation-class virtualization environments you should be focusing more on disk capacity and speed rather than which CPU is faster. At this point, any CPU from Intel or AMD that supports all the bells and whistles will work just fine (and given AMD chips tend to be cheaper, they are a good choice for test environments).

Hi MagicAndre1981 !

OK! Great :thumbup

I will have a look at those and then give proposed specs for the new computer...

Thanks again!

bookie32

P.S. God! It is my birthday...Oh No...Yet another bites the dust...LOL

In relation the HDD speed I can say basing on my my experience that (the same) VM performs much better when located on a SAS 15k rpm HDD then when run from a normal SATA 7200rpm hard disk.

Edited by tomasz86

Hi tomasz86!

OK! It had been a long time since I heard about SAS drives....had to have a look and see what is available nowadays....

From my local supplier we have a couple of makes by Hitachi and Seagate...

Hitachi have the Ultrastar 15k600 450GB SAS 64MB...nice drive, but long over my budget.....sorry, didn't mention budget...my budget is my girlfriend and she goes....NO!.....LOL about 553 USD at the mo...too rich for my blood...

There are slower ones but too expensive at the moment...

Thanks for your input!

bookie32

New SAS drivers are expensive but used ones can be bought quite inexpensively :)

I bought mine (4x Fujitsu MAX3036RC 36GB 15k rpm, 6ms seek time) for 30$ per drive (+ 60$ PCI-E controller). Nothing special compared to the new constructions (2ms seek time) but still MUCH faster than any 7200 rpm SATA HDD.

I also have a Samsung F3 500 GB for data storage and there is really no comparison between the two.

Edited by tomasz86