CD-Rom won't open, need help!

ScrewUpgrading

I hope somebody can point in me the right direction to fix this. I've been trying to research this on the net, but it's getting me nowhere.

Here's the lowdown:

I have two "devices" installed: CD-RW and a CD-Rom.

CD-RW is the master, CD-Rom is the slave. (They're on the same IDE cable)

Anyway, my old CD-Rom started making weird humming sounds, then progressed to making weird buzz-saw sounds. I mean, really loud. Then it started opening on it's own and windows started freezing a lot. So I opened the computer up and removed it. All I did was unscrew the drive, remove the IDE cable and the power cable, and then I pushed it through the front of the computer.

So I turn my computer back on, and it works perfectly, minus a CD-Rom. But at least Windows isn't freezing anymore.

So I go on Ebay and buy THE SAME EXCACT model as my broken one. (Samsung CD-Master 48E SC-148)

I received the cd-rom in the mail.

So I go and hook it up. I screwed the drive in place, reconnected the IDE cable, and attached the power chord. Then...

I turn the computer on. Both cd-rom drives have blinking green lights, but I think the CD-Rom drive takes longer, it flashes by itself longer than the other one.

Windows boots up, I click on my computer, and boom the whole computer freezes. I did this multiple times, nothing changed. Even if I don't go to my computer, the computer still has trouble shutting down, almost as if the cd-rom is messing with windows somehow.

So after all that, I reboot into the BIOS. It recognizes both drives. It lists two CD-Roms. LIke it used to do.

The weird thing is, the new CD-Rom won't open, ever. I can open the CD-RW before windows even gets booted, but whenever I press the button to open the CD-Rom, nothing happens. It just won't open.

Did I miss a step somewhere? Was I supposed to load drivers in order to just open the **** CD-Rom tray? Do you think the CD-Rom was dead on arrival? Could my motherboard be messed up?

I was thinking of trying yet another CD-Rom, but before I blow my money on that, I'd like to see if anybody can help. Maybe I missed something.

---------------------------------

more info:

-the CD-Rom was used for $10

-I tried moving the jumper on the CD-Rom from the farthest left spot, to the middle spot, it made no difference where the jumper was. The drive still would never open, even though it got power to it.

-I tried using a paper clip and sticking it in that tiny hole at the front, in order to manually open the CD-Rom, nothing.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

The used CD player you've bought is toast. If it wasn't already when the seller sent it to you, then it's DOA.

I tried using a paper clip and sticking it in that tiny hole at the front, in order to manually open the CD-Rom, nothing.

Try again, and push the paper clip in much harder. It'll open... or it'll break, but you've got nothing to loose.

I do believe you'll be able to open it, by hook or by crook. I *don't* believe it'll ever work OK, though.

And... in case you decide to buy yet another one, do buy from someone different from the seller you've got that one from.

You were right. I just had to press harder with the paper clip! :lol:

Turns out somebody left a game inside.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that drive was dead on arrival. But I still suspect I damaged my motherboard.

This afternoon I went to my local computer parts store and found a CD-Rom for $5.

It actually worked, but it was LOUD. It was louder than the music coming out the speakers. But I was able to read the drive in "my computer". And my computer didn't crash either.

So maybe it's just a really crazy loud CD-Rom drive??? If it is, it's more annoying than useful. I already unplugged it.

Are old CD-Rom's that loud?

Thanks for your help though.

Technically, newer (faster) CD drives would be louder, but not at the levels you are talking about. CD drives have a pretty lame lifespan as they often move into the "loud" or "won't eject without a paperclip" phase fairly quickly. In fact the CD drive in my PC needs the paperclip to eject. Fortunately they are fairly cheap (new) enough to not worry about spending money on a new one. The only thing is that most companies are phasing out PATA which could become a problem for people with older hardware.

In my experience, Lite-On drives seem to have the shortest lifespan. Usually, once the drive won't eject with the button it is only a matter of time before it goes completely.