KernelEx - Call for support

Well, I don't know what's suitable, but FWIW :

MSVC++4.2 is (was) available for free download if you know someone with a subscription to MSDN. (I think that's 1999 vintage.)

MSVC++6.0 is (was) available for free download if you know someone at an academic institution with access to the MSDNAA. (I think that's 2003 vintage.)

Any idea if open-watcom might be suitable?

Joe.

Do you know anything about winworld?

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

Perhaps we should consider a bi-level development effort that include a heavy-duty build environment for the maintainer(s) (or anyone wishing to do a full build), and a light-weight development system for contributors.

Has anyone used LCC, Lcc-win32, or Pelles C?

Actually, any language could be used for contributed modules. Any compiler/linker that can produce a PE32 DLL would do.

The core would just need to be modified to scan all DLLs in the KernelEx folder for a function before using an internal stub or failing.

Perhaps we should consider a bi-level development effort that include a heavy-duty build environment for the maintainer(s) (or anyone wishing to do a full build), and a light-weight development system for contributors.

Has anyone used LCC, Lcc-win32, or Pelles C?

Actually, any language could be used for contributed modules. Any compiler/linker that can produce a PE32 DLL would do.

The core would just need to be modified to scan all DLLs in the KernelEx folder for a function before using an internal stub or failing.

Sounds like a very good idea. If KernelEx is made extensible, with a simple build environment for the code modules, I'm sure it will progress rapidly. :yes:

Joe.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having luck with this as per new apps and after driving myself nuts getting Opera 11.x & 12.x as well as the Kerio PFW administration to operate exactly as they ought.

Many of the Windows 98 files on MY machines, perhaps NOT yours, need to be set to to various modes other than the KEX default. So, I'm looking at the modules loaded by apps and the files they call or read while loading and setting these to different modes. This won't always work, but it is serving me well thus far. Let me test more before I crash YOUR PC! PLEASE!

Dave

• 10 months later...

Still recruiting?

I know I might be too late (I realize that you're inactive since 1 year), but I want to apply, I have a strong api knownledge, ability to read and understand disassembly, and I'm good at C.

I can successfully compile kernelex, I'm actually trying to implement desktops and window stations for Win9x as well as other APIs.

:thumbup  You run into open doors! 

Welcome! Will you add actual implementation or stubs?

P.S

If you decide to do this, this will allow me to take U98SESP3 beyond where it is at. I could start extending the 3.x build as soon as you release a stable build in due time. This means many users will benefit from this.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I'm glad you are here. Me and many others have been trying to breathe new life in the Win9x community. We've lost many over the years and gain so few. Believe it or not, you might help be my motivation for a Windows ME SP3. Lets see what the future brings. I feed off the negative and positive. Thanks again for your interest.

I will add both, desktops and window station are actual implementations, they are *nearly* implemented, but, I don't use input device for desktops, I instead hide/show windows, it "works" well to me.

however :

- when you start EXPLORER in a new desktop, it doesn't start a new instance, instead, it open a folder, which resides on the explorer's desktop, I don't know if it's an explorer feature of Windows 9x, because in Windows NT, it starts a new instance

And TeamViewer 6 is working (I don't know if it already worked before).

To echo everyone else - Welcome! :hello:

Now, I'm a little confused by this "desktop", "window station" and "Explorer ... doesn't start a new instance" stuff. Is this something that will affect the normal behaviour of the W9X GUI?

Lastly, if I remember correctly, TeamViewer 6 runs natively on W98.

Joe.

Edited by jds