BSY BUG FOR SEAGATE MOMENTUS 7200.4

MY Seagate momentus 7200.4 (ST9320423AS, 320GB) laptop hard drive has BSY problem similar to that of barracuda model 7200.11 ( My drive is not getting detected in BIOS, my drive is spinning fine with no weird noise or ticking sound.i tested my drive in other machines but no use.) .

I bought RS232 TTL converter and tried to fix the BSY error. in the hyperterminal window, ctrl+Z seems to be not working at all for my drive. Do i need to change any other settings for this model hard drive ? can anyone please help me on this. your help would be appreciated.

Chandrapal Reddy

I bought RS232 TTL converter and tried to fix the BSY error. in the hyperterminal window, ctrl+Z seems to be not working at all for my drive. Do i need to change any other settings for this model hard drive ?

Try lowering baud rate, like:

jaclaz

Hey jaclaz , i tried lowering the baud rate too, but no use :(

i could check the loopback test with my USB to RS232 adapter, but unable to get the command prompt in the hyperterminal window.

also, i just wanted to confirm whether do we need to cover the head contacts or the motor contacts with the plastic card?

and also, is there any change in the terminals(RX,TX,GND) of the pcb board for the laptop hard drives?

please help in this regard

Thanks

Reddyc

Hey jaclaz , i tried lowering the baud rate too, but no use :(

i could check the loopback test with my USB to RS232 adapter, but unable to get the command prompt in the hyperterminal window.

also, i just wanted to confirm whether do we need to cover the head contacts or the motor contacts with the plastic card?

and also, is there any change in the terminals(RX,TX,GND) of the pcb board for the laptop hard drives?

please help in this regard

Thanks

Reddyc

Please, STOP posting on the 7200.11 thread, your drive is a 7200.4, this thread is about it, STOP posting on the 7200.11 thread! :realmad:

I have NO idea about your drive model.

You should make sure that you have a TTL adapter and NOT a RS232 one. :w00t:

You may want to try (or have a look at) SEDIV:

http://sediv2008.narod.ru/

here is the English help:

http://sediv2008.narod.ru/HelpEn.rar

I have NO idea if it can be of use or not, though.

You were TOLD to try lowering baud rate and what you do?

4) opened the hyperterminal and made the settings to 38400/8/N/1/N and entered into the hyperterminal console.

AGAIN, try with 9600:

jaclaz

im using this cable http://www.rs232-converters.com/single_usb_to_rs232_converter.htm will this not communicate?

Surely NOT, additionally you may ALREADY have fried the PCB for good. :ph34r:

Please READ the read-me-first:

ALL of it, with PARTICULAR attention to points #6 and #10.

Basically you are SHOUTING (probably at a 12 V RS232 level ) in Hindi :w00t: to a hard disk that only understands English and (due to a rare condition :rolleyes: ) only understands whispered English (3.3 V TTL level), no real suurprise it doesn't want to talk to you.... :whistle:

jaclaz

ohh...thanks for your quick reply... i will now get the RS-232 TTL converter(3.3v).

Can you tell me how to test my PCB now ? :wub: ... before investing on the new RS-232 TTL converter.. i need to check my PCB as you said i could have fried my PCB :w00t:

i could still feel that my drive is spinning with my PCB... :rolleyes: please suggest on what needs to be done from here?

Can you tell me how to test my PCB now ? :wub: ... before investing on the new RS-232 TTL converter.. i need to check my PCB as you said i could have fried my PCB :w00t:

i could still feel that my drive is spinning with my PCB... :rolleyes: please suggest on what needs to be done from here?

Yes, and if it behaves like it did before (i.e. spinning and is still BSY, use Victoria to check) it means that the PCB is still good (or at least as bad as it was before).

No other way of testing it without a TTL converter that I know of :unsure:.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

what should be the output voltage at TTL end( 3.3 v or 5v) ...which one shd i get?

Are you joking or what? :w00t:

Basically you are SHOUTING (probably at a 12 V RS232 level ) in Hindi :w00t: to a hard disk that only understands English and (due to a rare condition :rolleyes: ) only understands whispered English (3.3 V TTL level), no real suurprise it doesn't want to talk to you.... :whistle:

http://www.embeddedmarket.com/products/USB-to-TTL-Converter-Module/

This module converts all Serial signals (RX,TX, RTS, CTS, RI, DTR, DSR and DCD) to a TTL level (3.3 or 5V depending on the jumper setting).

http://www.embeddedmarket.com/Products/RS232-to-TTL-Converter/

Rx, Tx, RTS, CTS & DTR signals are available for TTL (5V) interfacing.

10. CONVERTERS (or Data Cables):

Generic TTL considerations:

The hard disk "likes" "real TTL" (the one that has a "high" at max 3.3 V).

Nonetheless a TTL/CMOS (that can have a "high" at as much as 5 V) may work.

It is unknown whether the HD has a "peaks flattening" circuit of some kind and there are mixed reports.

Rule of the thumb:

• there are NO reports of failures at 3.3V
  • there are a few, not fully confirmed, reports of 5V working

Please note that two different converters "labeled" as "5V" may behave differently due to the not fully standard behaviour of some of these circuits.

Do you want me to draw a map for you? :unsure:

jaclaz