Experimental Firefox 7 build for Windows 98

I have run Firefox 6.02 on a computer with a Pentium ll processor and 384 mb and windows 98 SE and

kernelex 4.5.1in windows 2000 sp4 mode. But it was very slow so I had to go back to Firefox 3.6.22.

But I searched on the Internet with Google and found that there where many people even with windows xp

and up who had troubles with Firefox 6 and up. I have found another release and that was Firefox 7 beta 5

which I could download. this release has fixed the memory problem. But I want to wait until the release end

release so I can simply install it over Firefox 3.6.22.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed Firefox the new version of Firefox 3.6.23 and it works perfectly with kernelex 4.5.1 on windows 98 with a pentium II and 384 mb.

Another new version is Firefox 7.0. I have not tried it yet. But I will try soon.

Yes please, let us know how your system responds if you manage to download Firefox 7 on Windows 98

Has anyone else managed to use any higher FF builds other than Firefox 3.6 that isn't slow on their 98 system?

I have found another release and that was Firefox 7 beta 5

which I could download. this release has fixed the memory problem. But I want to wait until the release end

release so I can simply install it over Firefox 3.6.22.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's a good idea to install FF 7 on top of FF3.6 being that there are many changes between the builds, perhaps someone will confirm otherwise.

If you do manage to get FF7 working please post back here and point to where to find the version that works for you.

By the way, when I clicked on HELP then check for updates it said there were no updates available, but when I searched on the net I found that there was version 3.6.23, why did it not find this the first time round?

Edited by frogman

Updated to Firefox 7 final, which now runs at about the same speed as patched Firefox 5/6 on Win98.

All old issues remain, especially the bookmarks-/history bug. At least there is a workaround now. Thanks Steven ;).

By the way. Do you guys have any speed issues with patched Firefox 5+? Scrolling looks a bit sluggish to me, especially in comparison to Opera 7.54u2 on 98 or Firefox 5+/Win7. I'd love to hear some reports of running Firefox on real machines. I'm mostly using VMWare at the moment.

By the way. Do you guys have any speed issues with patched Firefox 5+? Scrolling looks a bit sluggish to me, especially in comparison to Opera 7.54u2 on 98 or Firefox 5+/Win7. I'd love to hear some reports of running Firefox on real machines. I'm mostly using VMWare at the moment.

Not @ that computer at the moment, but I installed your build of 6, did a few tweaks (I'll list the ones I can remember) and it was only a bit slower than 3.6.x. I believe the biggest problem is processing javascript.

The tweaks I recall:

1. Disabling Hardware acceleration.

2. I put it in permanent private mode (didn't bother me -- I don't like passwords and cookies saved anyway).

3. I changed the browser.sessionstore.interval in about.config to 9999999 (That's correct to the best of my knowledge; don't think I can just disable that anymore)

4. There's a setting in Options to disable suggestions in the URL bar -- suggestions were disabled.

5. There's a setting to limit the number of sites remembered (You can only hit the 'back button' so many times), in about.config (might be browser.sessionhistory.max_entries), I limited it to 6.

6. Installed PlainOldFavorites, Hid 'Bookmarks'. (Menueditor unnecessary, Thanks patclash)

7. This won't affect speed, but I like it http://suneilmohan.blogspot.com/2011/03/firefox-4-prevent-tab-scrolling.html

8. I may have disabled 'smooth scrolling'

I am recalling this from memory, I may not be accurate and I may have performed other tweaks. I'll post when I get to that PC. Of course, there are probably others. Can't wait to try out your build of 7. Thanks felicitas!

And yes, it was on real hardware, a 733 MHz Pentium 3 with 384 MB RAM.

Edited by Steven W

Updated to Firefox 7 final, which now runs at about the same speed as patched Firefox 5/6 on Win98.

All old issues remain, especially the bookmarks-/history bug. At least there is a workaround now. Thanks Steven ;).

In comparison to Opera 10.63 scrolling is a little bit jumpy, but also fast. I checked "Use smooth scrolling" in Aurora (FF) 7 "Options Advanced". OS: Win ME

I installed Firefox 7.0 as an upgrade of Firefox 3.6.23 Got an error with the bookmarks and history. Places.sqlite gets corrupt.

I did what was recommended calling it places.sqlite.old. Then restarted Firefox 7 again got the same error again.

Probably I did something wrong. Firefox 7 is much faster then version 6. I did not have the time to test more. But I know that

with a clean install everything will be all right. I installed it on a system with windows 98 se and kernelex 4.5.1. and 384 mb.

Some extensions did not seem to work so I installed 3.6.23 again and got my extensions back by renaming places.sqlite to

old. By the way I also got my bookmarks back. So you only need some time to test it.

PlainOldFavorites is incompatible with Aurora 7. :( I hope a new release is coming. All-in-all this build isn't bad. Just a couple of suggestions for those wanting to try it. Do a clean install, completely get rid of old FF. Tell it to never remember History in Tools -- Options-- Privacy. Disabling both autoscrolling and smooth scrolling in the Tools--Options--Advanced -- General Tab helped my scrolling. Thanks again felicitas!

Well, I just got PlainOldFavorites to work. Had to download the XPI to the hard drive extract it with 7-zip, edit the install.rdf:

changed

<em:maxVersion>7.0a1</em:maxVersion>

to

<em:maxVersion>8.0a1</em:maxVersion>

rezipped the stuff, changed the zip extension to xpi, dragged and dropped it in an Aurora window and voila!

Edited by Steven W

Hello although it has nothing has to do with this subject I cannot display http://www.mdgx.com in Firefox 3.6.23 anymore

it only works in opera 10.5.1 It also does not open in K-meleon beta 1.6 beta2. Does somebody has a suggestion.

Thought is must something has to do with frames or iframes ?

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Could not convert JavaScript argument arg 0 [nsIDOMWindowInternal.opener]" nsresult: "0x80570009 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS)" location: "JS frame :: http://www.mdgx.com/focus.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 1" data: no]

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Could not convert JavaScript argument arg 0 [nsIDOMWindowInternal.opener]" nsresult: "0x80570009 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS)" location: "JS frame :: http://www.mdgx.com/0.php :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 31" data: no]

Edited by schwups