Computer restarts at starting Windows 7

TechMike

Hi

I have a problem with my PC. Its a core i7 860, 4GB 1600mhz DDR3. I have two p55 boards, one a p55a-g55 (msi) and one a asrock p55 pro, also two sets of memory a Gskill 4GB kit and a Cosair 8GB kit. The problem is as soon as it gets to starting windows (win 7) the animation starts then half a second later it will either freeze (rarely) or restart it self. I can get into the BIOS. I can sometimes run memtest, but sometimes not. I can never load from the windows startup disk to reinstall, It shows the grey bar twice (it goes quick, then next one takes a while longer) then it restarts. It also freezes if I try and update the bios using the inbuilt program in the bios.

I have tried

Every setting nearly on 2 motherboards

2 graphics cards that I know to work

2 psu's that I know to work

2 sets of memory that I know to work (both memtest fine and prime95 blend fine, though I had a bit of trouble at one time with the 4GB on a different board, but I think I had some wrong bios settings)

Every option under safe mode

2 linux ubuntu dvds, which just restart too

I think its something to do with the CPU now. The board is getting enough power the 24pin and CPU power are fully plugged in. I'm setting the memory to 1600mhz, using XMP profile. I've gave the cpu and memory more volts up to the safety limits. I have tried at 1333mhz (spd) and still the same. I guess the only thing I can do is buy another CPU to test it unless someone knows something!

Thanks

It is actually hard to get a faulty CPU, but in your case it must be indeed the CPU if you can't even memtest to run. Is the cooler making contact well will the CPU? Did you clean the contacts with alcohol from that CPU?

Yeah, I decided to take it out and clean all the paste off, gave all the contacts a clean, put some new paste on, tightened the backplate screws and put on the heatsink and fan, but it was still the same.

Memtest has been running lately, although sometimes when I press escape to quit it freezes at "halting". Memtest still is the only thing that will run though, I tried ubuntu x86 and x64, dban (uses linux) and the windows 7 disc.

As soon as the animation starts on the Windows 7 "starting windows" screen it resets,

Freeze mostly happen when there is too much heat on some sensitive components like ram or some chipsets (and sometimes cpu but it doesn't seem to be the case).

Did you get in the bios to check the hardware monitor to see the temps ?

I found out that if I set "Active Processor Cores" to 2 then it will boot up and works fine, except only 2 cores and 4 threads obviously. Nothing seems to work with the setting on "All". I think the CPU is slightly damaged.