Installing Win98SE on more 'recent' PC.

HardDriv'n

If Rloew ever decides to help keep Win9x alive by making his patches free, and/or making the sources to his patches open-source, I'll come back and try again. It's not like there aren't legacy, or legacy compatible, OSes that support newer hardware for free. See FreeDOS (supports modern hardware), or Linux. Not everyone has to get paid, and it's not like Windows 98 has any market value. Free, and open-source, is the superior model.

It never occurred to me to think that the survival of Windows 9x was so dependent upon me alone. It must be time to raise my prices to monopolistic levels.

Incidentally, Windows 9x is neither free nor open-source so you should have avoided it like the Plague. Say hello to the Penguin for me.

I just found an interesting little tidbit about open-source that may be of interest:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/mobility/business/231001194?cid=nl_IW_btl_2011-07-12_text

Edited by rloew

Hm, that's more about software patents (pure evil) than about open-source. Fortunately here in Europe software patents are not valid. I wonder if that means that HTC doesn't pay for Android systems sold in Europe (and other parts of the world with a sane legislation).

BTW, I support you in your right to charge for your hard work.

Edited by Mijzelf

Hm, that's more about software patents (pure evil) than about open-source. Fortunately here in Europe software patents are not valid. I wonder if that means that HTC doesn't pay for Android systems sold in Europe (and other parts of the world with a sane legislation).

BTW, I support you in your right to charge for your hard work.

I added the link to my Post to point out a possible issue for open-source users and developers that hasn't gotten much notice, namely the risk of lawsuits from Patent holders.

You may be safe where you are, but not where I am.

It never occurred to me to think that the survival of Windows 9x was so dependent upon me alone.

I said 'help' keep it alive. The fact that you think you deserve to be compensated for your hobbyist programming is exactly why the source should be released, so it would benefit the community of people who still use Win9x. People who could help make it better, ie - work out any bugs, expand on it's scope, etc...

It would also help attract new people to using Windows 9x who didn't feel like using antiquated hardware.

I also hinted that Linux has the superior model, which it does, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any Bill Gates products worth having. What does is cost to pick up Windows 98, under $10 if you look in the right places?

Edited by HardDriv'n

The fact that you think you deserve to be compensated for your hobbyist programming is exactly why the source should be released,

I don't know what world you live in, but some people in this one have to work for a living. And RLoew does that by programming. You should respect his ability and appreciate that he spends ANY of his time on the "antiquated" systems that we love. Everything in this world is not free, and it never will be.

What really annoys me is that nobody has any doubts that an old piece of hardware, like an old GeForce2 is worth some money. And if it was refurbished, the work of the refurbisher, say, in exchanging the caps, has to be paid for, and the new capacitors also have some cost. I've never seen anyone defend the refurbisher should pay for the caps, the solder and whatever else is needed, repair the board and then give it away at no cost. Why is it that software is different?

Is it not work, perchance?