KernelEX what does it do to my computer?

Can somebody explain to me in layman's terms what exactly KernelEx does to my computer in order to run XP programs?

-a few questions that popped in my mind...

Does KernelEx affect my firewall?

Does it make your system less secure?

Basically is it safe to use for like shopping on ebay or amazon?

I hope somebody knows.

Although I personally don't use KernelEx as I don't have a pressing need to run XP programs yet, I will try to help explain a few basics.

From the KernelEx thread: "KernelEx is an Open Source compatibility layer with an aim to allow running Windows 2000/XP-only applications on Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows Millennium operating systems."

So what's it doing behind the scenes? When you try to run an XP program on Windows 98/ME, nothing happens, or it crahses. Why? 98/ME doesn't have the Windows XP APIs. KernelEX adds some of these missing APIs to allow these programs to run. It "extends" Windows 98/ME to include the XP APIs where it did not exist before. Now you can run some XP only programs (but not all).

Does KernelEx affect my firewall?

It shouldn't, but I don't use it, so I have no experience here.

Does it make your system less secure?

By allowing some XP programs to function, this could potentially allow some XP viruses to function where it would not have before. When you connect to the web, do you think about how you are opening up your computer to so many dangers? Is it risky to cross the street? Use common sense. Don't go to suspicious websites, don't open unknown emails, update virus definitions, look before crossing the street, etc.

Basically is it safe to use for like shopping on ebay or amazon?

Same as before. Use common sense.

KernelEX is uncharted territory. You're doing things that most people (and even Microsoft) haven't done before. Some XP programs may run smoothly, some may require fiddling around, and some won't run at all. It is a work in progress, not a silver bullet, but what it does is pretty amazing.

Have a look at the KernelEX wiki as well:

http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/

And allow time for KernelEx users to reply.

Edited for grammar

Edited by Foxbat

Kernel Ex basically makes it possible to run some newer software on 98 that wouldn't normally be possible. These apps use system functions that were not part of 98 but exist on the NT systems (XP, Vista, etc). With KernelEx, I can use SeaMonkey 2. Without it, I'd have to stay with the 1.X versions.

Kernel Ex will behave differently on different systems. In general, and assuming 98 compatible hardware, the newer that hardware, the better KEX works. On my P4 Dell, KernelEx works very well. On my P3 Compaq and an HP with a Celeron processor, it doesn't work as well. This is just as much due to changes in the processors as anything else. Another security app I use, System Safety Monitor, works great with KEX on the P4 using the default settings. On the older processors, KEX needs to be disabled for SSM, otherwise i get error messages and an unstable system. Flash Player is another example of where the results will vary depending on the hardware you're using. Kernel EX is a work in progress, but it will not compensate for everything. In order for the developers to account for varying results on different hardware, they'd need a lot more help and time than they have. In any case, if you make a system backup before installing Kernel Ex, there's no risk in trying it, and you might be very pleasantly surprised. Between Kernel Ex, Revolutions Pack, NUSB, and some other upgrades here, they've made this 98 unit a rock solid screamer that runs circles around the XP system that shares the hardware.

Regarding a firewall, I use Kerio 2.1.5 with KernelEx. There have been no problems. As for making 98 less secure, it's theoretically possible that it might make it possible for some malware to function on 98 that wouldn't before. Whether that creates a security risk depends on the security policy you are using. That said, since Kernel Ex allows you to use a more updated browser, that in itself would represent a security improvement, which IMO will offset any theoretical increase in malware compatibility. This is an area I've wanted to explore but just don't have the time.

I can't address the online shopping question. I've never bought anything online.

Rick

Thanks for both of your replies.

KernelEx seemed to work okay for me when I tested Firefox 3.5.19

You said it works with Seamonkey version 2? Maybe'll I'll try using that instead, since I'm not a huge fan of Firefox.

Considering how fast Firefox is updated these days, I'd rather use a browser that doesn't go through so many frequent, pointless upgrades.

Also I'm familiar with Revolutions Pack 9, but I've never heard of "NUSB." What's that?

Again, thanks. And I hope that KernelEx continues.

You said it works with Seamonkey version 2? Maybe'll I'll try using that instead, since I'm not a huge fan of Firefox.

Considering how fast Firefox is updated these days, I'd rather use a browser that doesn't go through so many frequent, pointless upgrades.

The most recent version of SeaMonkey (2.2) isn't working with KEX either. It stalls and tends to lock up while loading a page. The 2.0.X versions appear to be the last that are 9X compatible. SeaMonkey updates a lot, though not quite as much as FireFox.

K-Meleon is a good browser too, and its most recent version is 98 compatible with KEX. You'll probably need to set KEX compatibility to XP-SP2. I'm not positive on that setting, not using 98 at this moment. I'm using the portable version of K-Meleon as it seemed to work better on 98 than the installed version. They don't update nearly as fast.

K-Meleon, FireFox, and SeaMonkey are all Gecko based browsers. The 9X incompatibility seems to be in the latest Gecko rendering engine itself.

Regarding NUSB, it's an upgrade to the USB system on 98 that allows many more USB devices with work on 98 than ever did before. Depending on your hardware, it can give you USB 2.0 speeds as well. On my P4 Dell, it's enabled me to use external hard drives, flash drives, card readers. etc, all at very good speeds.

Can anybody else confirm that Seamonkey 2.0.X or the lastest K-Meleon (1.7? ) work with KernelEx?

I can't use Opera because it's too slow on dialup. The gecko browsers are like 10 times faster.

Personally, I haven't tested them but because SeaMonkey 2.0.xx using the same version of Gecko engine as Firefox 3.5xx , it should work without problem.

As the Opera, you can use a Turbo function (in the case of slow connection).

Edited by rainyd

I wasn't aware of the 1.7 alpha version of K-Meleon. Had been using the 1.6 beta. I've only had time for a quick check on the K-Meleon alpha version, but it seems to work properly. Privacy bar text isn't visible ATM but seems to work. This is one fast browser, faster than SeaMonkey on my PC.

Rick

I can't use Opera because it's too slow on dialup. The gecko browsers are like 10 times faster.

I use dial-up too, and Opera 10.0 with turbo enabled seems much faster than Firefox 2.0.20 for me.

I now have Kernel Ex 4.5.1 permanently installed on my computer. It rocks!!

I'm browsing the web using Firefox 3.6.18, and so far I'm pretty impressed. Everything loads smooth and nice. No hangups.

I think next I'll try to upgrade my Adobe Reader from version 6 to either 7 or 8.

Thanks.