Windows XP Sysprep

I'm having issues with some machines now that I thought I had sysprep finally working like I wanted. It's not all machines, but two models that I've found issues with are Dell Optiplex GX520 and Dell Latitude E5510. From playing around with my snapshots, it seems to be an issue with using the ACPI Hal to create the sysprep image. I went back to a previous snapshot (almost 4 months) and copied my existing sysprep setup files. The only difference, that I can tell, is the Hal, it was a uniprocessor hal. The bad thing is we have a few hundred of each type. After I image the machine, the first windows screen (with windows logo) just scrolls and scrolls and after a couple of minutes, just stops. I've tried using bootloging, but it doesn't even create the file. I wanted to try my current image, but it looks like I can only upgrade ACPI to Uniprocessor by reinstalling. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks

Phillip Allen

Marion School District 1

Starting with SP2, XP can change from UP to MP HAL during first boot on a sysprepped image. Supposedly it can also do this on an image that is in Factory, Audit or OOBE mode but may not be entirely supported that way.

However, if your sysprepped image already has MP HAL set, it won't be able to go "backwards" to the UP HAL if you are putting it on UP systems.

The standard practice for XP is to create all images on UP HALs and not MP HALs unless you can confirm that particular product will also have at least an HT CPU if not multi-core.

A possible fix may be found here:

I don't use XP anymore so all I have left is memories.

I think I must have left something out. I'm building my sysprep image using the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) hal. I use mysysprep and sysprep to upgrade to either a MP or UP or leave it as ACPI (there are still a couple hundred laptops and desktops I have to do like this). But on the models I'm having issues with, I can never get past the first screen. If I try with an old image that is using the Uniprocessor, it works fine and upgrades to the MP hal fine.

ok, my problem seems to be that the E5510 is not ACPI compatible. I've been fighting this and thought it was a driver issue. I reloaded one from scratch and tried to downgrade to ACPI and after rebooting, I kept getting blue screens. Is there a way to upgrade a machine back from ACPI to Uniprocessor? Otherwise I'll loose a couple of months of changes to my image. Probably not that big of a deal, but looks like now I'm back to at least 2 images. Can mysysprep downgrade from uniprocessor to ACPI?