SATA to IDE adapters: which/what/why?

I guess you could copy/move the summary, since each item has reference links to the posts in this thread where they are discussed? Then we could see which thread continues to get posts?

Cheers and Regards

OK, I won't disagree with the rationale of keeping the topic where it is or the Summary (keeps relevant material up-front, like many other topics).

HOWEVER, would it be possible to -

1 - Change the Topic's "sub"-description (for want of a better term) to indicate "Applies to any OS" or some such?

2 - Make it Stickied so it won't disappear "down the tubes"?

3 - Perhaps make a new "locked" Sticky topic in this sub-forum with a quick explanation of "what it be about" and put a link to THIS topic?

After all, it DOES apply to Hardware (specifically HDD Connectivity) and seems rather "important".

:unsure:

Edited by submix8c

I did have Win9x in mind, but I guess it's not Win9x-specific so Hardware is a better fit. I just rarely/never visit other subforums, so it hadn't even occurred to me to put it elsewhere. On the other hand, Win9x folk would know more about, and be interested in, old hardware. :)

Edited by shae

Well, I think the thread is in the right forum now. But I did remember to add it to the Important "Stickified" [Pinned] 95/98/98 SE/ME Topics sticky list... it's now the 1st link in the "Supported Hardware, Software + Games" section. So I think all bases are covered. Long time 9xers know well where to look for important threads, so a pointer in the Important "Stickified" [Pinned] 95/98/98 SE/ME Topics list is the best way to move the thread to this forum while keeping it connected with the 9x/ME forum, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

All bidirectional adapters I've ever found have a problem: when you connect one of them to the mobo PATA connector, they'll give you just one sata channel (the master channel), so that you loose one device connection (the slave connection). They always have one PATA and two SATA connectors on the board, but one SATA conector can be used only when converting SATA --> PATA and the other only when connecting PATA --> SATA, so you cannot actually use both at the same time, as you'd need if they were capable of accepting both a master and a slave channel at the same time.

Hmmm... :unsure:

What about using an IDE male-to-male converter/cable to plug the adapter into, instead of plugging it into the board?

Then you could connect the master or slave connector of the IDE cable to the other connector/end of the converter/cable.

Anyone ever tried this? :ph34r:

Edited by LoneCrusader

• 2 weeks later...
What about using an IDE male-to-male converter/cable to plug the adapter into, instead of plugging it into the board?

Then you could connect the master or slave connector of the IDE cable to the other connector/end of the converter/cable.

Anyone ever tried this? :ph34r:

Not that I have any notice. But it sure is worth trying.

• 5 years later...

I have two JM20330 based mSATA to 44 pin IDE adapters that I try to use in an older 600 MHz SFF Compaq PIII (turn it into a router), and I can't get them to boot.   After I boot from a floppy, I can partition, mark active, and the format the SSDs, ( format c:: /u /s ) but the system just doesn't boot from the SSDs.  (no error message, just infinite wait) 

Any idea on what may be going on and how to fix it?

I have these two adapters: 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/mSATA-to-2-5-PATA-IDE-SSD-Enclosure-Adapter-Card-Case-Solid-State-Drive/292666537230?hash=item442448f50e:rk:5:pf:0 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/mSATA-to-2-5-IDE-mSATA-to-2-5-PATA-adapter-Converter-Enclosure-with-case-Y6R3/163413119907?hash=item260c2e53a3:g:n4kAAOSw1rpcBOZU:rk:18:pf:0