KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

The problem appears to be down to the regutils.dll in the cab file that needs a new function from Kernel32.dll. I have rebuild that cab with the regutils.dll from update 31 and edited the msi with orca because the resulting cab file had an invalid signature. Doing that it only partially installs and must be completed by hand after which it seems to be working OK, tested briefly on a couple of apps I have on disk and on a couple of online applets with K-Meleon.

Grab it here: http://www.4shared.com/archive/Sq96KIGu/JRE6u32_fixed.html

Run the msi installer and once it's done, copy the files in the "Copy 2 Windows" folder to your Windows folder and the one in the "Copy 2 System" folder to your System folder overwriting the files already in place which still are the old ones. Finally merge the registry file after making sure the paths it contains are also your paths, otherwise adjust them before merging. Once all this is done done it should work OK.

Edited by loblo

I tried with kernelex 4.5.2 installed Firefox 9.0.1 portable and Firefox 10.0.2 portable and everything worked. Everything that comes after

these versions firefox 11 and up crashes on windows 98 se, these versions crash the same way as some Palemoon versions.

Which Firefox 10 is working? According to http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox : Firefox 10.0.4: Installs and runs unmodified.

However, I failed installing 10.0.4esr on 98SE, it said: Sorry, Firefox can't be installed. This version of Firefox requires Microsoft Windows 2000 or newer.

The wiki seems incorrect. Did you encounter this error too?

The only Firefox 10 mozilla download link is from ESR (10.0.4esr). 10.0.2 download link redirected me to 12.

Edited by oc_dt

Hello. First you have to install kernelex 4.5.2.

Then you can install firefox. Then you

you have to right click on Firefox.exe and

click on the tab kernelex

choose for specific compatibility mode and

choose for windows 2000 SP4. And you can run

firefox.

But if I where you I would try the portable

version, because if it does not work you can

simply delete it. And you have no problems

with the Registry. It is also better to

use a release which is offical release then

a release that is not stable like a esr

release.

Hello. First you have to install kernelex 4.5.2.

Then you can install firefox. Then you

you have to right click on Firefox.exe and

click on the tab kernelex

choose for specific compatibility mode and

choose for windows 2000 SP4. And you can run

firefox.

But if I where you I would try the portable

version, because if it does not work you can

simply delete it. And you have no problems

with the Registry. It is also better to

use a release which is offical release then

a release that is not stable like a esr

release.

I thought I was on 4.5.2. In fact, I'm only at 4.5 Final, thanks for pointing it out.

Is the portable version also from mozilla? I can't find it in the official website.

• 2 weeks later...

K-meleon1.7a2 also works with kernelex 4.5.2. in 2000 compatibility mode. It loads gmail very fast.

Hello Giant2011, how did you install K-meleon1.7a2?

Hello Leo

I just unpacked tge 7zip file and chanced the properties under the kernelex tab

to windows 2000 sp4 compatible. I only have to say that it is very strange because

the first time I did this everything worked find with gmail. For instance when

you email more then once to one person you could open them with one click.

But I wanted to change something so I deleted the k-meleon directory and unpacked

everything for a second time and now it does not seem to work anymore. I have no

time now to find out why it did not work again.

Opera 11.64 works with KernelEx 4.5.2.

Confirmed here.

:thumbup

As a matter of interest (sorry if this has already been stated) has anyone tried the beta version of Opera 12 on Windows 98 with KEx?

I'm awaiting its release with some apprehension and trepidation that it will no longer work.

:)

Opera 11.64 works with KernelEx 4.5.2.

Confirmed here.

:thumbup

As a matter of interest (sorry if this has already been stated) has anyone tried the beta version of Opera 12 on Windows 98 with KEx?

I'm awaiting its release with some apprehension and trepidation that it will no longer work.

:)

Plugin support is broken on all versions above 12.00-1372. That's a complete show stopper for me as it means no flash. Other than that it seems to be running fine but I couldn't get it to use hardware acceleration or WebGL which are the two main new features besides the plugin wrapper helper executable.

Plugin support is broken on all versions above 12.00-1372. That's a complete show stopper for me as it means no flash. Other than that it seems to be running fine but I couldn't get it to use hardware acceleration or WebGL which are the two main new features besides the plugin wrapper helper executable.

Oh dear, that is very bad news!

:no:

Opera would be completely useless to me too without the plugins working.

I really hope the KernelEx guys can fix this before the release of Opera 12.

:(

I'm very surprised, that the latest Foxit Reader works again. :thumbup Installed version 5.3.0.0423 - comp. mode Win2000 or XP. It installs with an error (Necessary files updates has caused an error in MSXML3.DLL), but it works. For updates it asks for winhttp.dll. I added the file (XP version) to the system folder. And the update works. It also has asked for mfc42u.dll, but if I added it, Foxit crashed on exit (error user32.dll). The mfc42u.dll seems not mandatory required. The bookmarks don't work correct for some documents.

The install error doesn't occur, if I have installed MSXML4 SP2.

Edited by schwups

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Firefox 13 portable it did not wanted to start. I think they are going the same way as with palemoon,

because msvcm80.dll and msvcp80.dll are replaced in firefox 13 with msvcm100.dll and msvcp100.dll

these dll's are incompatible with windows 98 even with kernelex 4.5.2.

Firefox 11 and 12 portable start because they use msvcm80.dll and msvcp80.dll. They start, but they end

my applications that are in the systray. And then windows crashes.