KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

>>I asked for a link and a legal way to get access to this file.

Yes sorry about that sometimes I do not read whats actually written. Also my router needed powering down MSFN was inaccessible until now. WinWorldPC but there are some old final editions there, but without a valid licence key then it would be OK. Google then select library. I have used 40607.52 but no good unless you go to a lot of trouble and then even had to link directly to FFmpeg files to work, see other posts. There might be few versions in between that I have not found but you can not use any newer version than 40209 due to missing functions. 40209 is essentially the same as 31113. The 40607.16 I will have to investigate but sounds like it will be similar to 40607.52 but will have to see. The earlier ones have their own _getdrives internally. BetaArchive has probably got a wide selection, I am not a member, I tried but did not get email so I did not pursue it any further.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

On 4/13/2020 at 10:57 PM, Goodmaneuver said:

Make sure you follow my instructions though, needs function call redirection. It must have no function call errors test in Dependency Walker as it gets loaded very early and needs to be safe mode friendly. NtClose does not work in KernelEx last time I checked, K23. The Msvcr80 ones are direct system replacements. Because not all plugins in VLC3 work it is best to have 2.05 installed as well because sometimes VLC3 does not start but if you start VLC2 first then exit it then VLC3 will start. BWC's DX wrapper does not work in VLC folder last time I checked and is unnecessary anyway. Sometimes the only difference with later BWC's modules and earlier ones is that the later ones have been signed.

I used BWC's MSVCRT and MSVCR90.dll. VLC 3.0.0 launched just fine :)

Only glitch I had was closing it gives a message of a crash.

The crash can be looked at in fault log in Windows directory, it could be NvOpenGL.dll See my latest settings in KernelEx Core updates. For single files though that use BASE then BaseNoHeap can also be used. OpenGL.dll is set disabled *\NV*.dll is set as I said but can use BaseNoHeap make sure there is no clashes with different settings in KernelEx Apps registry. Do a search and remove all other NV..... settings as the *\NV*.dll is now doing the settings. Then reboot to try it.

Can you please say exactly what you have done as your explanation is not clear. I do not know if you have updated system Msvcrt with BWC's MSVCRT or you have placed it in VLC folder or you have done the BWC's  Dx9W2kFx.zip MSVCRT.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

14 minutes ago, Goodmaneuver said:

The crash can be looked at in fault log in Windows directory, it will be NvOpenGL.dll See my latest settings in KernelEx Core updates. For single files though that use BASE then BaseNoHeap can also be used. OpenGL.dll is set disabled *\NV*.dll is set as I said but can use BaseNoHeap make sure there is no clashes with different settings in KernelEx Apps registry. Do a search and remove all other NV..... settings as the *\NV*.dll is now doing the settings. Then reboot to try it.

Can you please say exactly what you have done as your explanation is not clear. I do not know if you have updated system Msvcrt with BWC's MSVCRT or you have placed it in VLC folder or you have done the BWC's  Dx9W2kFx.zip MSVCRT.

I placed the MSVCRT from a W2K installation (with BWC's Extended Kernel ver. 30) in the Windows\KernelEx folder, and had it as a known dll in the registry. I never tried placing the file in the VLC folder itself. But, I can confirm this is the only MSVCRT file I've used that results in a working VLC 3.0.

Eh...I'm a bit confused by the instructions above. Can you give me a copy of your KernelEx core updates? Mine just has the kex stubs enabled.

The known DLLs in the KernelEx folder will be the same as placing Msvcrt in the system folder and is unnecessary to place it in KernelEx folder as all of my programs have KernelEx involved except Kernel32.dll itself.  I have explorer set to DCFG1 so every program loads KernelEx. KernelEx is hooked to Kernel32 so it is the first to load if a module which has a KernelEx mode setting or if following a mode setting of another module. KernelEx known DLLs act like the normal KnownDLLs and modules will load from the KernelEx folder instead of the system. The Known DLLs in KernelEx if there is no renaming is a convenient way to change system files instead of having to go off line. Your KernelEx updates are the same as mine except update Core.ini if you had not already. I know from your update to the website. I am not using KexStubs though. KernelEx Core Updates the MSFN Jumper Topic. https://msfn.org/board/topic/173233-kernelex-45-core-updates-45201617/?do=findComment&comment=1179474 Do not use Explorer as DCFG1 unless you have read above posts in KernelEx Core Updates.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
All builds had Explorer set to DCFG1

Also, does anyone know where I can find Java 8 Runtime MSI installer? I've successfully installed 7, but the system had a bit of a crash in order to output a separate folder with the MSI installer. When I tried to do the same with 8 by putting Vista compatibility, only a folder is created without any contents.

Attempting to launch RuneLite with 1.6 resulted in an error saying the main class could not be found. The 1.7 (first version) says there is an error.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

jre7u0.msi should install even on 4.5.2 but needs later KEX to run. Oracle needs you to have a business name when I created my account. Looks like this is no longer necessary but not sure about that. Oracle is the only place that should have them now as this is what Oracle wants. https://login.oracle.com/mysso/signon.jsp One of my posts here https://msfn.org/board/topic/178283-how-you-really-browse-the-web-on-98me-in-2019/?do=findComment&comment=1172377 but I am probably behind the times and other members may need to comment about it.

I doubt whether the installers allow an older one back in unless some registry settings are removed. So a system restore or manual remove settings may be required. I have *\ JAVA*.EXE => DCFG1 and *\JVM.DLL => DCFG1

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Come to think of it, has anyone tried using BWC's KDW? In theory, we are wrapping Windows XP applications with Windows 2000 wrappers. And Windows 2000 dll's probably have a better chance of working in Windows 9x than XP or later ones.

Once the download links at BWC's are fixed, his customized Windows 2000 dll's look promising.

https://w.atwiki.jp/win2000/pages/17.html

Also, if a tool exists to spoof Windows 9x's registry information, please inform me! A tool like that will absolutely help with KernelEx compatibility.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

>BWC's IE6 files work including Shlwapi, I use them, they will not interfere with KernelEx and should be replaced in a group so make sure the group works with Dependency Walker first incase of mistakes. Wininet is only found in Windows2000-KB935839-v30e-x86-ENU AFAIK. Oleaut32 also replaceable as I mentioned in KernelEx Core Updates so do not use the latest one that is dated 2016 which represents an XP version. ( Oleaut32  = BASE ) My Wintrust Idea is better than BWC's I believe for WinME as it works in safe mode when doing the average maintenance tasks (has no errors) and you have to update Crypt32 from 5.131.2296.1 ( tested on 2K as well ) Wintrust KEX following mode  no  set mode . ( best to be set to BASE or WinTrust.dll 2K vs 5.131.2195.7376 found in  Windows2000-KB935839-v30e-x86-ENU can be used : - update Cryptui accordingly or use 5.131.1729.1 )

>>Also, if a tool exists to spoof Windows 9x's registry information, please inform me! A tool like that will absolutely help with KernelEx compatibility.

Regedit.exe, there are also several tools, find some here toward the bottom of page https://www.softpedia.com/downloadTag/registry editor ( Windows All ) I will look into it also. http://bladesdev.com/regreplace.htm web link to Registry Replacer  home page. A regedit replacement https://sourceforge.net/projects/reg/

The whole of the registry would be loaded into RAM so every program is using the whole registry so to speak. Searching for text that could represent parts of the program or partial text of the executable's folder location is what I do when manually updating with Regedit.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Strikethrough

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 4:45 PM, FantasyAcquiesce said:

I used BWC's MSVCRT and MSVCR90.dll. VLC 3.0.0 launched just fine

This statement had me puzzled from the start. BWC's Msvcrt working is fine but where does Msvcr90 play a role. If BWC's Msvcrt and Msvcr80 wrapper is used then Msvcr80 is the only one that will work and the wrapped Dll of Msvcrt and Msvcr80 did not work for me in VLC. So I am asking what has Msvcr90 got to do with it.

Another thing is if using BWC's Msvcrt.dw7 vs from Dx9W2kFx.zip, then Msvcr80 should to link to Crtdll.dll for _getdrives for a better alternative than loading the full Msvcrt for _getdrives and necessary if the wrapper is named Msvcrt.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

9 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

This statement had me puzzled from the start. BWC's Msvcrt working is fine but where does Msvcr90 play a role. If BWC's Msvcrt and Msvcr80 wrapper is used then Msvcr80 is the only one that will work and the wrapped Dll of Msvcrt and Msvcr80 did not work for me in VLC. So I am asking what has Msvcr90 got to do with it.

Yes, it was and is baffling me, too. VLC doesn't need Msvcrt90. My experiments with Msvcrt90 always led to errors. But if I remember correctly, I never have checked BWC's Msvcrt.

• 4 months later...

Talking about YouTube source filter and on player MPC-HC : - it works with KernelEx9 complete. It stops working with any later version of Kexbases vs 10. I have tested KernelEx17 with all 17 modules except Kexbases and used Kexbases of 10 and working OK. WMP 6.4 works with KEX24 but on my more complex build it does not work unless I profile it with Dependency Walker - then it works. Dependency Walker KEX mode matching WMP 6.4 of default setting. Default will be inherited from Explorer which is set BASESN. Everything freezes when testing so there is no Apilog to show when operating MPC-HC & YT source. Apilog does not update anything further when a YT URL is opened. The faultlog :-

MPC-HC caused an invalid page fault in
module SOURCE_FILTER.AX at 01b7:05dbfa10.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=01b7 EIP=05dbfa10 EFLGS=00210202
EBX=06b5dc80 SS=01bf ESP=06b5dbc8 EBP=06b5dc0c
ECX=00000008 DS=01bf ESI=06b5dbc8 FS=a7df
EDX=05dbfa10 ES=01bf EDI=06b5dcbc GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
2e 00 65 00 78 00 65 00 00 00 00 00 2e 00 63 00
Stack dump:
00020000 06b5dbe4 05c417fc 06b5dbe4 05dbfa10 f002b93e 00000010 bff60000 82613a34 010405a6 010405a6 00000000 00000007 f002b93e 06b5dc54 05d8ddd8

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Error was not quite right stops working above Bases 10