KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

>>Lastly, where do I obtain the QUARTZ.DLL 6.5.1.907? Only place I find it mentioned is problemchyld's unofficial 98SE service pack

Yes the service pack has it or the one I gave here https://msfn.org/board/topic/153566-windows-98-as-high-quality-video-player/?do=findComment&comment=1173681 The link a direct download from Microsoft still working I just checked. It is direct download http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/WindowsME.Windows98SE-KB904706-DX9-x86-ENU_3120a22628e0848051a2449a878677f.exe I can not find it in the SP either now yet I found it yesterday, it was in unofficial Direct X update I think.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

4 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

Okay, I something is going wrong for me. I am attempting to run MPC-HC 1.5.0 on my new Windows ME installation, but MP4 no longer plays. I can't figure out why it worked on another partition.

A fresh installation is always good for testing purposes, and I believe: best vanilla as possible.

Did you use any unofficial service packs?

Once you have LAV filters installed it should work in WMP or MPC 4.9 or KMP or ZoomPlayer any except those that use their own plugins like VLC. Make sure it works with WMP. Then disable the internal filters of MPC-HC of AVI, MP4, etcetera as I said in the other topic. It is not a major fault, starting again will still require the same approach. Everyone can have their own ideas but I have no KnownDlls in KernelEX folder except UNIcows. KernelEx auxiliary dlls were placed in the system folder. This build I am posting now has KernelEx installed in the system folder. KernelEx is always loaded with every program except Kernel32.dll which I have disabled.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

10 hours ago, deomsh said:

A fresh installation is always good for testing purposes, and I believe: best vanilla as possible.

Did you use any unofficial service packs?

Only the Unofficial Service pack (not problemchyld's).

9 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Once you have LAV filters installed it should work in WMP or MPC 4.9 or KMP or ZoomPlayer any except those that use their own plugins like VLC. Make sure it works with WMP. Then disable the internal filters of MPC-HC of AVI, MP4, etcetera as I said in the other topic. It is not a major fault, starting again will still require the same approach. Everyone can have their own ideas but I have no KnownDlls in KernelEX folder except UNIcows. KernelEx auxiliary dlls were placed in the system folder. This build I am posting now has KernelEx installed in the system folder. KernelEx is always loaded with every program except Kernel32.dll which I have disabled.

I'll try that! Also, what version of KMP Player works on Windows 9x? I found even 2.0 doesn't work.

EDIT: After installing LAV and changing output setting to system default, it works! Although, the video has a green line at the very bottom? Not sure why. But it doesn't affect the video. Maybe it's from installing Revelations Pack?

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

@FantasyAcquiesce:

>>what version of KMP Player works on Windows 9x?

I have referenced this too many times though https://msfn.org/board/topic/153566-windows-98-as-high-quality-video-player/?do=findComment&comment=1160640 and here https://msfn.org/board/topic/178000-h265-playback-on-win-98-with-vlc-or-mplayerc/?do=findComment&comment=1157157

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Yes, hjsuffolk14's service pack (22MB) seem to be lost along with the whole topic here. Last week I tried problemchilds UWMESP3.EXE Beta 5 (size 67,2MB). I enabled the main updates in the in the infex.ini, but the Pack was unusable for me. A lot dll files were missing during installation, and afterwards ME wasn't bootable anymore. Obviously the Main updates aren't finished and are for logical reasons disabled. hjsuffolk14's service pack is much smaller, but OK. 

Edited by schwups

Back to testing somewhat.

Attempting to open VLC Player 3.0.4.0 has been giving me various errors with different mscvrt.dll files.

Version 7.0.2600.5512 launches up an error the file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:RtlGetNtVersionNumbers.

7.0.6001.18000 gives KERNEL32.DLL:SetThreadStackGuarantee

7.0.9200.16384 states "a required .DLL files, API-MS-WIN-CORE-CONSOLE-L1-1-0.DLL, was not found."

Launching VLC on ImportPatcher.41 tells me:

[Patches needed]
vlc.exe=Functions

[KERNEL32.dll]
GetProcessId=
HeapSetInformation=
RtlCaptureContext=

Attempting to load the API-MS-WIN-CORE-CONSOLE-L1-1-0.DLL (6.1.7600.16385) results in the file being unable to "load at desired address, and is not relocatable."

MPC-HC 1.7.5 launches fine using version 6.0.8397.0. Video won't play though. For VLC, _fstat64 is missing. Attempting to launch with 7.0.6001.18000 brings the same error as VLC (KERNEL32.DLL:SetThreadStackGuarantee).

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

FantasyAcquiesce:

My ideas of an upgrade to Msvcrt https://msfn.org/board/topic/173233-kernelex-45-core-updates-45201617/?do=findComment&comment=1171794 you might be the first to confirm it. The wrapper should only be used when required not suitable system swap but the others are. I like Msvcr80 31113 the best. It is strange no-one has said anything this is not a serious old OS help site I am thinking. Deomsh has commented and I replied one page back. KernelEx does not do its wrap if the function is found in the Msvcrt.

35 minutes ago, Goodmaneuver said:

FantasyAcquiesce:

My ideas of an upgrade to Msvcrt https://msfn.org/board/topic/173233-kernelex-45-core-updates-45201617/?do=findComment&comment=1171794 you might be the first to confirm it. The wrapper should only be used when required not suitable system swap but the others are. I like Msvcr80 31113 the best. It is strange no-one has said anything this is not a serious old OS help site I am thinking. Deomsh has commented and I replied one page back. KernelEx does not do its wrap if the function is found in the Msvcrt.

Alright, I'll try taking the MSVCRT file from my Windows 2000 machine w/ BWC's kernel32 soon. I hope the latest version works.

Make sure you follow my instructions though, needs function call redirection. It must have no function call errors test in Dependency Walker as it gets loaded very early and needs to be safe mode friendly. NtClose does not work in KernelEx last time I checked, K23. The Msvcr80 ones are direct system replacements. Because not all plugins in VLC3 work it is best to have 2.05 installed as well because sometimes VLC3 does not start but if you start VLC2 first then exit it then VLC3 will start. BWC's DX wrapper does not work in VLC folder last time I checked and is unnecessary anyway. Sometimes the only difference with later BWC's modules and earlier ones is that the later ones have been signed.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

13 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

I like Msvcr80 31113 the best. It is strange no-one has said anything this is not a serious old OS help site I am thinking. Deomsh has commented and I replied one page back.

I asked for a link and a legal way to get access to this file.

I spend in between two ours reading about Vista beta versions, but I found no way to get this file. I have never been a beta tester, and all (pre-)Vista betas will be not accessible to me. 

But I have Windows XP/7/10, is there a 'similar' version I can test?

Edited by deomsh
Typo