KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

I use Quartz.dll 6.5.1.914 since years, no problemo. And unless I am completely mistaken Quartz is not a renderer, my understanding is that it just loads the file and pass it to an appropriate splitter.

12 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

What could I do to allow Windows 9x to launch MPC-HC 1.7.5 like demosh reported to do so? I've installed the recommended updates, updated dll's by jumper, and tried add functions stubs to my copy of Kstub822, but the thing isn't launching.

I tested MPC-HC 1.7.5 with Kex18, not with higher versions.

Further: I have used Win98se ONLY !!

Version max: MPC-HC 1.7.5 (537b5a3) - Kex for MPC-HC.EXE: XP-SP2 (installer needs 2003 SP1).

Stubs shouldn't be needed, unless you use (like I did) Vanilla Win98 without IE5.5 - in that case for some functions ONE stub for SHLWAPI.DLL is needed.

About: MSVCR70/MSVCRT: registering is the wrong way. Best go to the registry: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Class\SessionManager\KnownDLLs\ and set (String !) MSVCRT to MSVCR70.DLL and reboot. Dont rename MSVCRT, but change value to MSVCR70.DLL. I have no opinion using MSVCR80.DLL as a MSVCRT-substitute.

About UXTHEME: copy Jumpers' UXTHEME.DLL to %winbootdir%\Kernelex\Kex\ (create folder 'Kex' if needed). Go to registry-key: HKLM\Software\KernelEx\KnownDLLs\ and set (String !) UXTHEME to KEX\ UXTHEME.DLL (original PSAPI.DLL should already be in this key (and in the KernelEx-folder): PSAPI= PSAPI.DLL.

About starting the media-file: Sometimes press Stop first - after opening a file, then Press Start again.

This is shown by ImportPatcher on my system (same options as on your picture; ImportPatcher 4.1 set to VISTA - If I remember well that's according to Jumpers instructions):

----------------------------------------------------

[Patches needed]

[ntdll.dll]
NtStopProfile=
NtCreateProfile=
NtSetIntervalProfile=
NtStartProfile=
NtWriteFile=
NtSetInformationProcess=
NtQueryInformationProcess=
NtQueryVirtualMemory=
NtQuerySystemInformation=

[KERNEL32.dll]
HeapQueryInformation=

[USER32.dll]
SetLayeredWindowAttributes=

-----------------------------------------------------

Be aware MPC-HC 1.7.5 is somehow dangerous, crashes can be severe. Destroyed more than once my  entire installation. I never reported this app in this thread!

4 hours ago, deomsh said:

Version max: MPC-HC 1.7.5 (537b5a3) - Kex for MPC-HC.EXE: XP-SP2 (installer needs 2003 SP1).

Stubs shouldn't be needed, unless you use (like I did) Vanilla Win98 without IE5.5 - in that case for some functions ONE stub for SHLWAPI.DLL is needed.

About: MSVCR70/MSVCRT: registering is the wrong way. Best go to the registry: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Class\SessionManager\KnownDLLs\ and set (String !) MSVCRT to MSVCR70.DLL and reboot. Dont rename MSVCRT, but change value to MSVCR70.DLL. I have no opinion using MSVCR80.DLL as a MSVCRT-substitute.

About UXTHEME: copy Jumpers' UXTHEME.DLL to %winbootdir%\Kernelex\Kex\ (create folder 'Kex' if needed). Go to registry-key: HKLM\Software\KernelEx\KnownDLLs\ and set (String !) UXTHEME to KEX\ UXTHEME.DLL (original PSAPI.DLL should already be in this key (and in the KernelEx-folder): PSAPI= PSAPI.DLL.

About starting the media-file: Sometimes press Stop first - after opening a file, then Press Start again.

This is shown by ImportPatcher on my system (same options as on your picture; ImportPatcher 4.1 set to VISTA - If I remember well that's according to Jumpers instructions):

[Patches needed]

[ntdll.dll]
NtStopProfile=
NtCreateProfile=
NtSetIntervalProfile=
NtStartProfile=
NtWriteFile=
NtSetInformationProcess=
NtQueryVirtualMemory=

[KERNEL32.dll]
HeapQueryInformation=

[USER32.dll]

Be aware MPC-HC 1.7.5 is somehow dangerous, crashes can be severe. Destroyed more than once my  entire installation. I never reported this app in this thread!

I am more than happy to attempt this despite the great danger you mentioned :)

So, I am modifying the Kstub822 file to include these stubs and removed HeapQueryInformation (kernel32.dll). I also have MSVCR71 replacing the original file in system.

Did you use the installer version? I am using the portable version!

EDIT: I think changing the stubs somewhat broke my Windows ME installation. Windows will freeze after booting and not properly load services. I booted in safe mode and now Windows works fine. It's always a good idea to dual-boot Windows 9x with XP or a lightweight Linux distro; then files can be restored from other partition.

But MPC-HC gives me this error, then breaks Windows ME from properly loading next boot. But, going into safe mode will restore everything.

uICNdd3.png

I also tried to mess around with stubs. I analyzed the application with ImportPatcher, then just added whatever functions appeared to be missing to the Kstub822 file. The result was MPC-HC causing an error and closing immediately.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

>>Quartz is not a renderer, my understanding is that it just loads the file and pass it to an appropriate splitter.

Quartz.dll 6.3 versions work but are an earlier release than 6.5.1.907, I did my tests a while ago and later XP versions did not do everything they were supposed to do. Look into advanced filter info. Mine is 6.5.1 but not as recent as 914. Where can 6.5.1.914 be obtained, 6.5.1.907 is still downloadable and specifically for 98/ME. The Video Mixing Renderer7 (Windowed) is the rendering output I have chosen in KMP for this post.

Quartz.png

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Even VLC web site warned against using Msvcr71 as a system file. If KEX setting of Win98 is to be used then you should do as Jumper described in the Core.ini.

"Add experimental mode to Core.ini that inherits from NT or XP and specifies anything you want from the other."

Edited by Goodmaneuver

>>I have no opinion using MSVCR80.DLL as a MSVCRT-substitute.

Do not overlook this version 8.0.31113.25 distributed in Framework v2.0.31113 available in LongHorn 4047. Members should look into my findings and report back for other members or they are not serious about 98/ME.

Using KnownDlls is the same as renaming the file, the registry is loaded very early.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Quartz of later versions is OK but needs BASE to register/work. My mistake. I had Quartz 6.5.1.907 KEX disabled. I have tested Quartz from LH 5048 and OK DelayLoadFailureHook=>SetLastError. See also https://msfn.org/board/topic/153566-windows-98-as-high-quality-video-player/?do=findComment&comment=1179890 

Edited by Goodmaneuver

5 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Members should look into my findings and report back for other members or they are not serious about 98/ME.

I was trying to help a member with problems regarding MPC-HC 1.7.5, which took several ours to revitalize old installations.

I can't test in between other MSVCRT.DLL substitutes or discuss them from schratch.

If you ask for help I am willing to test, but I need LEGAL access to the file-version mentioned. BTW I don't possess Vista.

Fair enough but in a general sense for other players too. If you look you should find. I am sure the prereleases are fine to test/extract although Vista is no longer supported and they are a bit useless as installers are tuned to only use final releases. It makes use of these binaries in which someone has used their valuable time creating.

EDIT > I did ask why my very early post web link was removed and it was not because of prerelease material. What would make using final release binaries back in older OS more legal than using a prerelease? They both were distributed and prereleases were free.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

20 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

So, I am modifying the Kstub822 file to include these stubs and removed HeapQueryInformation (kernel32.dll). I also have MSVCR71 replacing the original file in system.

Did you use the installer version? I am using the portable version!

EDIT: I think changing the stubs somewhat broke my Windows ME installation. Windows will freeze after booting and not properly load services. I booted in safe mode and now Windows works fine. It's always a good idea to dual-boot Windows 9x with XP or a lightweight Linux distro; then files can be restored from other partition.

But MPC-HC gives me this error, then breaks Windows ME from properly loading next boot. But, going into safe mode will restore everything.

uICNdd3.png

I also tried to mess around with stubs. I analyzed the application with ImportPatcher, then just added whatever functions appeared to be missing to the Kstub822 file. The result was MPC-HC causing an error and closing immediately.

Due to Millenniums protection the need to restore could be an unsigned kernel patching component that might not cause that error in 98se.

kernel patching is rampant on 32 bit windows is usually the cause of system wide crashes with unofficial components designed for their official version 32 bit windows. An xp component patching 9x kernel; that's  gonna cause panics. That  includes MPC HC and others. Changes to 32 bit kernel memory needs to be observed and may prove my theory.

Having KernelEx cater for kernel patching would need lots of testing because the kernel is the core of windows what the kernel says they system does!

Edited by ZaPbUzZ
spelling

>>I also tried to mess around with stubs. I analyzed the application with ImportPatcher, then just added whatever functions appeared to be missing to the Kstub822 file. The result was MPC-HC causing an error and closing immediately

Make sure there are no duplicates that are already catered for in KernelEx already.

20 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:
21 hours ago, deomsh said:

[Patches needed]

[ntdll.dll]
NtStopProfile=
NtCreateProfile=
NtSetIntervalProfile=
NtStartProfile=
NtWriteFile=
NtSetInformationProcess=
NtQueryVirtualMemory=

[KERNEL32.dll]
HeapQueryInformation=

[USER32.dll]

So, I am modifying the Kstub822 file to include these stubs

Although I can not test on WinME, messing around with stubs shouldn't be needed in case of MPC-HC 1.7.5 and with SHLWAPI.DLL from IE5.5 or higher. The unresolved dependencies I showed you are harmless in my case.

Please delete stubs in core.ini and try again. The right registration of Jumper's UXTHEME.DLL is more important, together with the right way to substitute MSVCRT.DLL

Edited by deomsh
Addition

3 hours ago, deomsh said:

Although I can not test on WinME, messing around with stubs shouldn't be needed in case of MPC-HC 1.7.5 and with SHLWAPI.DLL from IE5.5 or higher. The unresolved dependencies I showed you are harmless in my case.

Please delete stubs in core.ini and try again. The right registration of Jumper's UXTHEME.DLL is more important, together with the right way to substitute MSVCRT.DLL

Back to step one: added the MSVCR and MSVCRT dlls to registry and kernelex directory, but no changes. Jumper's newer UXTHEME.dll is already included.

When I launch MPC-HC 1.6.8 and 1.7.5, I no longer get an error of pins not working. But, the program gives me an error saying "Invalid file name."

Lastly, where do I obtain the QUARTZ.DLL 6.5.1.907? Only place I find it mentioned is problemchyld's unofficial 98SE service pack.

EDIT: I realized a super dumb mistake I made. It seems I mixed up MSVCP90 and MSVCR90 with the 70 versions. I have MSVCR70.DLL in the registry. I also have MSVCRT90.dll still...I originally included these versions to make CoolReader 3 launch. They did make it launch successfully, albeit very slowly. After fixing this, MPC-HC 1.6.8 still won't open a video and gives an error claiming the name is invalid. I also replaced MSVCRT.dll from my Windows XP SP3 dual-boot.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce