KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

SamutraPDF 2.2.1 was already reported to work, but the layout will not change in settings. It remembers your books last read though.

This version requires Kext and at least msvcrt.dll of ME, better msvcr70.dll. 

1 hour ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

tried downgrading multiple versions. Version 1.7 does not launch regardless of which mode I choose. 1.6.8 launches (XP SP3 mode only), but does not appear to work

Which version of KernelEx are you using? And are you using MSVCR70.DLL renamed to MSVCRT.DLL

3 hours ago, deomsh said:

Which version of KernelEx are you using? And are you using MSVCR70.DLL renamed to MSVCRT.DLL

I am using the latest 24 updates and registered MSVCP90.DLL and MSVCR90.DLL to my known KernelEx DLL's. I also have the unofficial 2008 runtime installed and replaced the stock uxtheme.dll in the KernelEx folder with another one provided by jumper.

I did not yet added the MSVCR70.DLL file or KEXT stubs.

When I tried to test MPC-HC later than version 1.5 (even 1.5.2), the video would not play in any of them.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

4 hours ago, loblo said:

Why use SumatraPDF 2.2.1 when you can use 3.1.2? Works fine for me both as standalone and as plugin for Opera 12.

I personally use Haihaisoft PDF Reader. It's not glitchy like Samutra (1.2 and later) with the settings I used.

I just tried opening version 3.1.2 with the KernelEx stubs, without success. I get the message "D2D1.DLL" is not found.

Edit: it looks like adding the stub files might have broken something. KernelEx would not set compatibility modes again until I restored the original core.ini file without the stubs.

Are you sure you tried 3.1.2 and not 3.2. 3.2 is the latest and has that Direct2D dependency but my installed 3.1.2 doesn't.

Apps that require Direct2D can't be made to work with stubs if they exclusively use it for drawing their interface as appears to be the case with SumatraPDF now which seems to have no GDI32 dependency anymore, only D2D.

2 minutes ago, loblo said:

Are you sure you tried 3.1.2 and not 3.2. 3.2 is the latest and has that Direct2D dependency but my installed 3.1.2 doesn't.

Apps that require Direct2D can't be made to work with stubs if they exclusively use it for drawing their interface as appears to be the case with SumatraPDF now which seems to have no GDI32 dependency anymore, only D2D.

Oh, thank you so much for correcting me. I didn't realize my error until I searched up the version again! I am amazed 3.1.2 portable apparently works, but earlier versions are glitchy?:huh:

I do not think the KernelEx stubs I put in the KernelEx folder have any effect on compatibility. I could not get the stubs working with the command (for K452stub) jumper provided.

No one has ever read the instructions for K452stub and used it correctly. Its time has passed so I'll delete it.

When apps start then stop, enable api logging and monitor the kex debugger.

14 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

I am using the latest 24 updates and registered MSVCP90.DLL and MSVCR90.DLL to my known KernelEx DLL's. I also have the unofficial 2008 runtime installed and replaced the stock uxtheme.dll in the KernelEx folder with another one provided by jumper.

I did not yet added the MSVCR70.DLL

I never tried adding MSVCR70.DLL to KernelEx known dll's.

Higher versions of MPC won't work with Win9x MSVCRT.DLL, so go to (real) MS-DOS and rename MSVCRT.DLL to MSVCRT.ORG and then rename MSVCRT70.DLL to MSVCRT.DLL (in %windir%\SYSTEM). 

Or: copy MSVCR70.DLL to %windir%\SYSTEM and set in the Registry in key (regular !) KnownDll's MSVCRT=MSVCR70.DLL and reboot.

One year ago I tested all available versions of MPC-HC with Kex 4.5.2016.18 (not the portable one's if I remember well).

Edited by deomsh
Correction

8 hours ago, deomsh said:

I never tried adding MSVCR70.DLL to KernelEx known dll's.

Higher versions of MPC won't work with Win9x MSVCRT.DLL, so go to (real) MS-DOS and rename MSVCRT.DLL to MSVCRT.ORG and then rename MSVCRT70.DLL to MSVCRT.DLL (in %windir%\SYSTEM). 

Or: copy MSVCR70.DLL to %windir%\SYSTEM and set in the Registry in key (regular !) KnownDll's MSVCRT=MSVCR70.DLL and reboot.

One year ago I tested all available versions of MPC-HC with Kex 4.5.2016.18 (not the portable one's if I remember well).

Which version of the file do I obtain?

EDIT: After searching the internet and updating my installation, I created a easier update folder. Just copy contents to system32 in main folder and anything else in the KernelEx folder into Windows' kernelex folder. Then apply registry.

EDIT2: Need to fix something, a DLL is not registering to the registry...

After installing all the available updates, KernelEx Auxiliary DLL Updates, stubs, and recommended updates, I noticed versions of MPC-HC don't have a glitchy file menu anymore. It slides down smoothy, but still no video. Windows XP SP3 still breaks the media player as before.

Attempting to launch 1.6 portable (with enhanced bases) gives an error that MPC-HC.EXE is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:VerSetConditionMask.

Also, ImportPatcher gives me this list

Looking around the text file, I found the function present in the KEXBAS~2 file, but not int he KEXBAS~1 file. I assume both are representative of kexbasen and kexbases in the CORE.ini file? I hope this function isn't hard to stub. Also, I noticed the KernelEx bases contains a line mentioning "Kstub824." Where is that supposed to be from? An unreleased kxstub package?

mpc-h#.log

I have turned off the numeric file naming for DOS several years ago so I am not as familiar with short file naming as I should be. To get numeric tails on a search, Explorer must just be looking at the first 7 characters of the file. KexBasen & KexBases having only 8 characters complies with short file naming 8 dot 3.

To register a library with RegSvr32.exe the DLL must have function DllRegisterServer & to unregister DllUnregisterServer. The MSVC series of files do not have these functions. When registering a library it can call other modules not directly connected to it and if there is a problem with one of these indirectly connected modules then it may not register. For instance registration may not occur in a folder with spaces in the name and if the other modules it requires are not in the same folder or in a mapped folder. See AutoExec.bat for instance, for folder mappings, Set Path=. KernelEx folder is not a mapped folder unless you make it such. So if a library requires a file that you have placed in KernelEx folder then it will not register if it can not find the file. Check this by using Dependency Walker and see if Depends can find the files.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]

"Win31FileSystem"=hex:00

"NameNumericTail"=hex:00

Edited by Goodmaneuver

What could I do to allow Windows 9x to launch MPC-HC 1.7.5 like demosh reported to do so? I've installed the recommended updates, updated dll's by jumper, and tried add functions stubs to my copy of Kstub822, but the thing isn't launching.

https://imgur.com/a/pbSFaDe

It requires KEX setting of XP like I said here https://msfn.org/board/topic/153566-windows-98-as-high-quality-video-player/?do=findComment&comment=1179316 and my next post. The heart of a player is its codecs and 70.2-16 from LAV is the latest one to work, the rendering is also important Quartz of 6.5 does not work with 98/ME it does not render. Do not use Msvcr70 as Msvcrt as it has missing functions and stopped Divx player and other programs. Some members are resistant to try Msvcr80 version 8.0.31113.25 as Msvcrt. No programs fail you won't be regretful.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Strikethough