KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

I installed the jumper updates for KernelEx.

I've got 98SE installed on a laptop and I'd like to use it for downloading files.

uGet is not a "pretty" app, but it starts and completes more downloads than
all the other managers, including IDM (Internet Download Manager).

The uGet GUI is really the "front-end" for a powerful command line app called
aria2c.exe. When downloads complete, you can add a custom script that will
do anything you want.

I've tried using the portable uGet with KernelEx. When missing DLL error
messages appear I add the files, but uGet will not run.

If it's possible to run uGet with KernelEx, tell me how. If not, can you recommend
a similar app that is more compatible with KernelEx? (I don't know if there is another
app similar to uGet.)

5 hours ago, HoppaLong said:

I installed the jumper updates for KernelEx.

I've got 98SE installed on a laptop and I'd like to use it for downloading files.

uGet is not a "pretty" app, but it starts and completes more downloads than
all the other managers, including IDM (Internet Download Manager).

The uGet GUI is really the "front-end" for a powerful command line app called
aria2c.exe. When downloads complete, you can add a custom script that will
do anything you want.

I've tried using the portable uGet with KernelEx. When missing DLL error
messages appear I add the files, but uGet will not run.

If it's possible to run uGet with KernelEx, tell me how. If not, can you recommend
a similar app that is more compatible with KernelEx? (I don't know if there is another
app similar to uGet.)

uGet runs fine for me but unfortunately  aria2c doesn't, even old versions not dependent on bcrypt.dll.

Best and most recent command line download tool for 9x using KernelEx would be latest Win XP build of curl by corone at https://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files/other/

AWGG 0.5.0 can be used as GUI front end for it. https://www.videohelp.com/software/AWGG

Thanks loblo.

I'm asking these questions before downloading AWGG and Curl. I don't know if there is
any kind of help file in the 7-Zip archives.

How do I add the Curl Engine to AWGG? Maybe extract both apps into the same folder?

Also, should I select XP (or something else) from the KernelEx menu?

Edited by HoppaLong

Curl and associated files go in the same folder as the AWGG executable.

AWGG has no help file but is pretty straightforward to use. Curl has built-in help which can be displayed by running it using using the --help argument.

AWGG runs with default KernelEx settings and curl requires 2K compatibility mode (with KernelEx 4.5.2).

You can set curl as the default download engine in the AWGG options (original default is wget I think).

I thought about using 98SE as download platform several months ago. It seemed like
a useful function for a very old operating system. The problem is finding a modern
download manager that will work with KernelEx.

AWGG with Curl could be the best solution for downloading almost any file with 98SE.
I'll try it and post the results in this thread.

This is not related to KernelEx, but I was just reading about Puppy Linux for 98.

http://www.freeveda.org/linux/puppy/PupWin98.htm

If it works, this could be a way to use 98SE as a stable platform for a basic Linux operating
system.

HoppaLong wrote:
- This is not related to KernelEx, but I was just reading about Puppy Linux for 98.
http://www.freeveda.org/linux/puppy/PupWin98.htm
- If it works, this could be a way to use 98SE as a stable platform for a basic Linux operating
system.

Hi HoppaLong.

This is already described in detail on this thread starting on October 28th and a few posts afterward:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177106-running-vanilla-windows-98-in-2019/page/3/#comments

KernelEx is not required. Any questions just PM or post on the vanilla Windows thread, no sense cluttering KernelEx.

FYI - It's a multi-boot, you'll be running Linux, not downloading from Windows 98. You can also set up much newer Puppy versions, as outlined.

Edited by Wunderbar98

• 3 months later...

Along with a Windows XP list, I've been in the progress of making a list for Windows 2000 and 98/ME w/ KernelEx

https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/p/list-of-working-windows-98me-kernelex.html

But, this list and the 2000 list are still considered incomplete by me (in obtaining working software reported on MSFN), so it's only accessible by link here for now.

Just on your 2K list, using a different WordPad version from an NT Windows system is/was a mistake and not necessary, it can be considered an experiment. It is not fully compatible for me. If you can correct me please do. Only additions that can be an advantage IMO should be listed. I doubt whether NotePad from XP will be compatible either and MetaPad is a better replacement option. Quartz 6.5.1.914 may not be the way to go either. Official one for 98/ME is tested and still downloadable. 98/ME uses 16 bit drivers and files really need to be compatible especially Quartz.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

9 minutes ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Just on your 2K list, using a different WordPad version from an NT Windows system is/was a mistake and not necessary, it can be considered an experiment. It is not fully compatible for me. If you can correct me please do.

Which program is this? This sounds like something on my 9x list. Please name the exact program, so I can remove it.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

It is on the Web S/C you posted above "Official Microsoft Files" sorry not 2K list. I have tested various Quartz versions and the best one IMO is the one I showed to download 6.1.907 it is the 6.5.1 that is important the 6.3 files can work but are older. Has to be compatible with 98/ME Direct X.
Error: -  I have experimented with latest XP Quartz.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Error made in versions thanks to Loblo's post further on I was able to correct this.

With the latest KernelEx updates and updating mscvr90.dll and mscvrp90.dll, you can use coolreader3.

SamutraPDF 2.2.1 was already reported to work, but the layout will not change in settings. It remembers your books last read though.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, win32 said:

that even happens in win2k exkernel. Try 1.7.5 since that works good on my win2k.

I tried downgrading multiple versions. Version 1.7 does not launch regardless of which mode I choose. 1.6.8 launches (XP SP3 mode only), but does not appear to work.

The unofficial Visual C++ 2008 is what allows version 1.5 w/ the latest KernelEx updates to run. But 1.6.8 and later are built off visual studio 2010...and KernelEx's limit is when Qt 4 starts having 100 in its dll's instead of 90. The image below IS playing video in MPC-HC in 1.5, but faststone screen capture cannot capture the video playing itself.

Also, attempting to set compatibility later than XP SP3 results in an error. There is a beep, but the program does not actually launch.

hjAgcG5.png

Furthermore, it appears SlimBoat is very close to working. It's Qt-based and I found a version using the 90 dll's. But the message "DBGHELP.DLL" causes the program to close.