KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

• 3 months later...

MPlayer WW SVN-r35250

http://www.freewarefiles.com/MPlayer-WW_program_80597.html

This program is listed on the first page, however, the download link is outdated and the homepage is hard to navigate or understand.

Instead I found a link to a portable version from 2012. This is the best video player I've found for Windows ME. Tested it on several AVI files that VLC couldn't open.

Kernelex 4.5.2 and XP sp2 compatibility mode.

Most-recent MPlayer WW version is svn-r37356 (2015-Jan-13).  

Homepage has always worked ok for me:  http://www.mplayer-ww.com/eng/

There is a "Download The Latest Verison:" line near the top and a menu on the left.  

Nevertheless, here is it's Sourceforge page:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-ww/files/MPlayer_Release/

I agree about it being a great player -- it's also my default (left-click) player.  All versions are portable, though -- download the 7zip file, unpack it, and you're set to go.  

One of the great things about it (IMO) is that it integrates MPlayer right into the GUI binary -- it's not just a separate front-end that runs an external MPlayer.exe file.

Another is that (like all MPlayers) it includes it's own codecs inside the main executable.  But you can also download some extended/rarer codecs (and other stuff) in the "Extra Package".  And if you really do want to go "DirectShow" anyway, you can download an extension for that too.  

Unfortunately, on my systems at least, the meditor.exe preferences program has some visual glitches under KEx, but the meditor2.exe (main) preferences program is fine.  Still, it has always worked for me "right out of the box".  

- Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if it's been reported, but Guitar Pro 5.2 does work with KernelEx 4.5.2. Since I haven't tried it since this version, I can't speak for any prior releases, but I know for sure this one works and you don't need to do anything special to get it running. Screenshot: http://img.thewaitingroom.org/win98/gp5.png

• 2 weeks later...

The newly released stable VLC 2.2.2 runs beautifully on KernelEx-v11&v12 ! Did not tested other configs.

But I have some issues with the latest flashplayer 20.0.0.306 ! I have 3 main PCs that are more or less in use.

But I could install .306 only on the PC that is the at least maintained one. It still uses Jumper's KEX v5 and only basic Kext.

So I thought that the simple solution would be to just install this config on the other two PC and install Flash.

But, of course, that would have been tooooo simple.

Error 1723.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action ISSetAllUsers, entry: SetAllUsers, library: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\MSI2255.TMP
=== Logging stopped: 11.02.2016 15:04:57 ===

The newly released stable VLC 2.2.2 runs beautifully on KernelEx-v11&v12 ! Did not tested other configs.

But I have some issues with the latest flashplayer 20.0.0.306 ! I have 3 main PCs that are more or less in use.

But I could install .306 only on the PC that is the at least maintained one. It still uses Jumper's KEX v5 and only basic Kext.

So I thought that the simple solution would be to just install this config on the other two PC and install Flash.

But, of course, that would have been tooooo simple.

Error 1723.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action ISSetAllUsers, entry: SetAllUsers, library: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\MSI2255.TMP

=== Logging stopped: 11.02.2016 15:04:57 ===

I think Adobe substantially modified the installer architecture of Adobe Flash Player 20. Double-clicking on this version's installer does not do anything on XP SP2; a minimum of SP3 is required. Being that there is no SP3 for 64-bit users, it would leave those users out in the cold, and 19.0.0.245 for Firefox/Opera or Internet Explorer is the final version for them. The only way to use Flash 20 on XP SP2 is to run Chrome with its embedded PepperFlash.

@ Schwups. On the PC I am running right now I could not install .235, .267 and .286 either !! I must have changed/added something after the above mentioned v5/older Kext-config-setup on the other PCs.

Maybe a newer dll taken from SP3 ?

@ Jumper. I have sent .306 (msi) to ImportPatcher.41 and it reports:

Debug: No 'MZ' signature

GetLastError reports: Der Vorgang wurde ausgeführt.

Edited by MiKl

• 2 weeks later...

Moderator's Note:
This is regarding jumper's 4.5.2015.11 + KEXBASEN.DLL 4.5.2015.12, moved here from the KernelEx 4.5.2015 thread.

On the positive side, and before any of those changes, some apps that did crash in kexbases.dll and that I could only run from within Dependency Walker now run fine on their own with the latest version of this dll. 

Amongst the handful of those I think it is worth mentioning the recently released version 6 of Microsoft Visual True Type which appears to be compiled with Visual Studio 2015 (most of the code in that is from the late 1990's however). It did require some extra hexing hodgepodge  however as some definitions  I did need to add to kstub822.ini broke other software (Networx). It also requires Vista's UIAutomationCore.dll which I got from a dll dump website. 

I have not tried so far to see if disabling system dlls would help with the Gimp plugins and git crashes as I am still using original kexbasen.dll. Kstub822.ini cleanup won't help for sure as the crashes occur without stubs dlls at all.

Edit: A screenshot of VTT running (flawlessly) under Windows ME. ;)

HP192SQ.png

Edited by LoneCrusader
Split discussion of a program from the KernelEx 4.5.2015 thread

Five Nights at Freddy's 3 appears to work flawlessly with KernelEx installed, it will not launch if disabled so it needs to be kept on enabled mode.

How did you get that to work? Doesn't that game require Steam? Or was there some other way it was distributed?

Current version of GPL Ghostscript (v9.18, 2015-Oct-05) from Artifex is working again for me with updated plain KernelEx r11+12 DLLs (no KExt/KStub or ROS): http://www.ghostscript.com

On the other hand, Sumatra PDF reader (since v3.1) displays files ok, but the toolbar is horrific looking: big ugly icons, and the icon backgrounds are displaying as magenta color (FFh 00h FFh) instead of transparent.  It doesn't seem to be in the embedded toolbar bitmap -- those from both new and old versions have the same res/depth, so (i think) it must be in the rendering.  Does anyone else have these transparency and/or icon-size issues?  Can anyone suggest a fix?  (It's really ugly....) 

- Doug B.

Edited by DougB