KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

Yikes -- more bad news. New VLC media player 2.1.3 (2014-Feb-05) crashes in my Win98SE + KEx:

VLC caused an invalid page fault in module LIBVLCCORE.DLL

This was the executable from the .zip version.

Running the .exe installer gave:

VLC-CACHE-GEN caused an invalid page fault in module LIBVLCCORE.DLL

The installer continued after this error, but whern the VLC executable ran, it produced the first error message above.

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.1.3/

- Doug B.

Yikes -- more bad news. New VLC media player 2.1.3 (2014-Feb-05) crashes in my Win98SE + KEx:

VLC caused an invalid page fault in module LIBVLCCORE.DLL

This was the executable from the .zip version.

Running the .exe installer gave:

VLC-CACHE-GEN caused an invalid page fault in module LIBVLCCORE.DLL

The installer continued after this error, but whern the VLC executable ran, it produced the first error message above.

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.1.3/

- Doug B.

I already noticed it by the attempt to install nightly builds. I haven't yet a solution or workaround.

Ok then -- verified.

So how open is the VLC development team to feedback from the Win9x community? (I know they don't officially support it, but iirc, back when an older version stopped working under KEx, someone contacted them, and lo and behold, they fixed it!) Just wondering....

- Doug B.

> VideoLAN Forums: A solution for Windows 9x/ME users

Thanks for that link. Interesting to read thru the history.

Here's what the developer said there:

> Re: A solution for Windows 9x/ME users
> Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:55 pm
>
> Newer gcc in 2.1.3

Hey now... that wasn't a solution!

So i guess VLC is done for under Win9x? Unless somebody knows of a general fix for new gcc-compiled executables.

- Doug B.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.sector-seven.net/software/flicflac

FlicFlac 1.02

Tiny Portable Audio Converter for WAV MP3 FLAC OGG and APE

Version 1.02 - August 16, 2013

-Windows ME, KernelEx 4.5.2 (XP SP2 mode)

-startup gives error: "The keyboard or mouse hook cannot be activated; some parts of the script will not function."

Despite that error, program seems to function normal. Works better when dragging and dropping files than browsing for them.

After testing, the files I produced seemed to work fine. Sometimes converting to flac gave an error message, however, the finished flac files seemed to work fine anyway.

-source code is available at authors website

Edited by LostInSpace2012

I believe this tells us there's more to it than just some missing entry in a configuration file, although I may be wrong. So far I could not test the custom SQLite3 library since my wrapper is far from being complete. And checking all the sources would require knowledge and a lot of time. In the end, the answer may be: modify this/that and recompile OR it cannot be done.

Hi Drugwash, have you maybe made any progress with the wrapper ? Best, MiKl

Unfortunately, no. :no: As always, I've been sidetracked by something else. Which reminds me I once promised you to check and improve an AHK script related to MPClassic - again, it took me so long to make that player work somehow, that I completely forgot why I needed it. My apologies! :blushing: Dunno what's going on but I'm slowly losing it - too much on my mind and can't focus. Will try to catch up sometimes soon but please do remind me about this by mail, after a while.

No problem, Drugwash !!

I would love to update Seamonkey from 2.0.14 to 2.6.1 but the missing bookmarks, history, etc. are driving me crazy. Maybe you can contact Jumper and ask him if he might be interested to take over ?

I have a feeling it's not the SQLite library driver that breaks those functions but some missing Unicode API or ANSI/Unicode mismatch in names/paths.

That wrapper wouldn't be of much use, as it's meant to be only a testing tool for the library. Much like the command line tools that come with the library in the official page, only with a graphical interface for ease of use. There are a lot of internal functions in the SQLite library and there's always changes and additions in newer official versions, which make things harder.

I doubt jumper would know AHK but in any case I can provide the sources since it's all open-source with me.

Have not had a lot of time to explore its capabilities, but recently-released freeware audio editor OcenAudio version 2.0.1 build 5882 (2014-Mar-07) installed ok and loads/plays/saves sound files on my W98SE+USP3x+KEx system.

http://www.ocenaudio.com.br/

Needed to set "Windows XP SP2" compatability on installer, but "Default" seems ok on actual editor. (Site says "Windows XP SP2 or higher".)

Haven't seen it mentioned here on MSFN. Looks impressive. An alternative to Audacity? (Which is also running ok on my system.)

- Doug B.

My preference changes over time, as players/codecs become more/less functional under Win9x and KeX. Currently, my faves include their own codecs, so i don't have to deal with the headaches of codecs/packs that only partially work/install or else are old, have to be setup. etc. So in order...

1) MPlayerWW (ongoing): http://www.mplayer-ww.com/eng/

Also called "MPlayer Lite" (I have no clue why), this is developer William Wang's GUI interface around integral MPlayer core (it does *not* use a separate MPlayer.exe). Loads quickly, lots o' skins available, plays everything i've thrown at it. It does, however, have a few visual glitches in some options/preferences windows. This is my default player.

2) VLC Media Player (v2.1.2): http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.1.2/

Also very capable, many skins available, but slow loading, and the latest version (2.1.3) breaks Win9x/Kex compatibility, so i'm thinking that future versions will also not be usable (in other words, it won't be fixed for our purposes).

3) GOM Player (v2.1.43.5119): http://www.filehippo.com/download_gom_player/history

Generally capable, but chokes occasionally on some formats/files. Quirky to set up for first-time DVD use (made me download some extra codecs and manually set preferences). Also, latest versions are no longer compatible with Win9x/Kex.

Other players are, for me, a system-codec krapshoot (including Media Player Classic, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, Zoom Player, Kool Playa, Windows Media Player 6.x and 9.x). Also, other MPlayer GUIs have not worked well for me (and the latest MPlayer.exe compilations crash Win9X/Kex).

Curious to hear what others' experiences are....

- Doug B.

• 2 weeks later...

For newer executables that crash in themselves or in bundled dlls try compressing them and the bundled dlls with UPX with the strip or copy overlay option enabled.

This should allow you to run a number of apps which otherwise now crash such as the latest PotPlayer beta or the latest LAVFilters nightly not build with MSVC2013. (http://roy.orz.hm/lavf-w32-nightlies/lavf-my131216-210f2d6.7z) I think it works too for MPlayer, VLC and some FFmpeg builds. Certainly works for Gimp 2.8.10 and other recent GTK apps as well as QT4 ones, not sure if Krita for Windows requires it but it sure runs too here (last good big surprise of late).

In case it doesn't work for you, you probably need to have KexStub installed too with appropriate definitions.

Many newer apps now crash in Kexbases, probably because MSVC2013 is used to compile them such as latest LAVFilters.

And btw, latest XnView (2.20), which don't support 9x anymore, runs fine with KernelEx

Edited by loblo