KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

Latest SoftMaker FreeOffice runs fine. Not too straightforward to install however, requiring to run the exe installer, then fetching the msi in the temp folder before cancelling and then editing the MSI with Orca to delete the Launch Condition table after which the MSI executes and installs normally.

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

Yes it works, but I can't print. The app doesn't find the printer.

Yes, I've noticed this too, and exported pdfs are all white for some reason... However it converts and save Office 2010 documents which are fully editable to earlier versions without problems.

There is also the Kingsoft Free Office Suite and this one appears to be able to print. The last full package doesn't work at all but the individual apps, Writer, Presentation and Spreadsheets which can be downloaded separately and are of a slightly earlier version (8.1.0.3022) do run fine.

http://www.kingsoftstore.co.uk/software/pc-office-list.html

Both the Kingsoft and SoftMaker free Office suites are better at rendering MS Office documents than Open Office IMO (and faster to load).

According to KernelEx wiki, AbiWord 2.8.6 is compatible. I haven't found this to be the case however. I set it for Windows Vista mode, which I think is the default for Abiword... but nothing happened, wouldn't open.

On the other hand, I did manage to run 2.6.8. It worked fine, except for poorly rendered toolbar buttons.

Anyways, I was just wondering if this was a typo on the KernelEx wiki or If I was doing it wrong.

But I believe it should be changed to 2.6.8 so as not to confuse people and for the sake of accuracy. Anybody get 2.8.6 to work?

*Edit*

According to Abiword homepage, under system requirements, version 2.4.6 is last to work under Win9x. This is the one I've been using for years. Still good and handy. But I was looking to upgrade when I noticed this error(?) on the wiki.

Edited by LostInSpace2012

According to KernelEx wiki, AbiWord 2.8.6 is compatible. I haven't found this to be the case however. I set it for Windows Vista mode, which I think is the default for Abiword... but nothing happened, wouldn't open.

On the other hand, I did manage to run 2.6.8. It worked fine, except for poorly rendered toolbar buttons.

Anyways, I was just wondering if this was a typo on the KernelEx wiki or If I was doing it wrong.

But I believe it should be changed to 2.6.8 so as not to confuse people and for the sake of accuracy. Anybody get 2.8.6 to work?

*Edit*

According to Abiword homepage, under system requirements, version 2.4.6 is last to work under Win9x. This is the one I've been using for years. Still good and handy. But I was looking to upgrade when I noticed this error(?) on the wiki.

Hallo LostInSpace2012,

I had added Abiword on the wiki. Abiword 2.8.6 runs on all my systems. The Vista mode is the default for Abiword. Your system must be missing something to run 2.8.6.

When I run 2.8.6 it comes up with this error:

A required file, MSVCP90.DLL, is required to run this program.

So I downloaded that dll to my system folder and the abiword folder, and it sill didn't work. I don't know why it still doesn't work.... but oh well no big deal.

I downloaded it from Dll-Files.com

Well, I'm happy with version 2.6.8 :-)

It's faster and more responsive, not to mention doesn't crash as much as 2.4.6

Edited by LostInSpace2012

When I run 2.8.6 it comes up with this error:

A required file, MSVCP90.DLL, is required to run this program.

So I downloaded that dll to my system folder and the abiword folder, and it sill didn't work. I don't know why it still doesn't work.... but oh well no big deal.

I downloaded it from Dll-Files.com

Well, I'm happy with version 2.6.8 :-)

It's faster and more responsive, not to mention doesn't crash as much as 2.4.6

I checked this. The MSVCP90.DLL is required for version 2.8.6. Make sure that you have MSVCP90.DLL version 9.0.21022.8! Or install MS Visual C++ red 2008 (VC_R_9x.EXE)! MSVCP90.DLL is part of it. I add it on the wiki.

Edited by schwups

Hello, this is sequel of an old thread that tries to collect informations from users about working apps under Win98SE+KernelEx. I'll try to manage a compact and sorted list in the 1st post for better readability. In your posts please note exact version of app (you can include link), version of KernelEx and compatability mode you used. If it's working partially, shortly note what doesn't work.

- = What doesn't work = -

AviDemux 2.5.3, why: Failed with missing MSVCRT.DLL:_fstat64

As you can see, I have it working with a modified MSVCRT.DLL 7.0.2600.5512 from Windows XP SP3. Thanks to a very good friend of mine for sending me the patched file. I'm testing it as we speak. It will be in the next version SP3.17 :w00t: Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

As you can see, I have it working with a modified MSVCRT.DLL 7.0.2600.5512 from Windows XP SP3

I have just msvcrt.dll 6.10.8924.0 and I can run Avidemux 2.5.3 too. ;)

Edited by rainyd

As you can see, I have it working with a modified MSVCRT.DLL 7.0.2600.5512 from Windows XP SP3. Thanks to a very good friend of mine for sending me the patched file. I'm testing it as we speak. It will be in the next version SP3.17 :w00t:

Why are you considering downgrading when 98 SE SP 3.0 already contained versions 7.00.9981.0 and 7.10.7031.4?

Please review Post #101 from last March (and its link) where I already covered _fstat64 (and MSVCRT.DLL dll hell).

I can confirm that versions 6.10.8924.0 and 6.10.9848.0 both support _fstat64, but after 10-1/2 months of testing, I recommend using MSVCR71.DLL 7.10.7031.4 as MSVCRT.DLL.

Why are you considering downgrading when 98 SE SP 3.0 already contained versions 7.00.9981.0 and 7.10.7031.4?

Please review Post #101 from last March (and its link) where I already covered _fstat64 (and MSVCRT.DLL dll hell).

I can confirm that versions 6.10.8924.0 and 6.10.9848.0 both support _fstat64, but after 10-1/2 months of testing, I recommend using MSVCR71.DLL 7.10.7031.4 as MSVCRT.DLL.

When I tried running Avidemux 2.5.3 with MSVCRT.DLL 6.10.9848.0, I got the missing export _fstat64 blah blah :huh: _fstat64 may reside in the other DLLs but when it is called from a specific DLL such as MSVCRT.DLL 7.0.2600.5512 then the other files doesn't matter. Not only that, MSVCRT.DLL 7.0.2600.5512 is an upgrade with an additional 51 exported functions. I sure some of the newer apps calls for some of these functions that are not present in older verions. @ loblo, I admire you for taking the time to patch files (not this one of course but other files). MSVCRT.DLL 7.0.2600.5512 is a permanent solution, not a work around. The Windows XP SP3 version works with no problems. I'll test for a couple more days and go from there.