KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

I was hoping to update some entries on the kernelex wiki and I wanted to make sure what the latest working versions are

I have 2011-11-18 build date for FFdshow installed. Is it possible to get a later version working using kexstubs?

Now that FFdshow has stopped active devlopment, what is the last working version of lavfilter? I have version 0.48 installed, and have failed to get any of the later versions to work. Also Lavfilters crashes when it tries to decode AVC and vp8 video, is that just a problem on my computer?

I was hoping to update some entries on the kernelex wiki and I wanted to make sure what the latest working versions are

I have 2011-11-18 build date for FFdshow installed. Is it possible to get a later version working using kexstubs?

Now that FFdshow has stopped active devlopment, what is the last working version of lavfilter? I have version 0.48 installed, and have failed to get any of the later versions to work. Also Lavfilters crashes when it tries to decode AVC and vp8 video, is that just a problem on my computer?

Latest versions I can run are LAVFilters 0.50.5 (2012/05/12) and FFDShow 1.1.4281 (2012-01-25). Both require some hex editing of functions to run in addition to have KernelEx installed. I don't have KexStub installed ATM so can't say whether more recent versions of those filters would run with it.

I have no problem decoding AVC with LAVVideo, I just checked this out in GraphStudio, normally using CoreAVC for AVC as it allows me to play 1080p HD video without any glitch unlike the other decoders which max out the CPU for such files. Not sure about VP8 as I don't have a webm file at hand to test right now but I think it would work as well. Btw I split both MKV and WEBM with Haali 1.11.288.0 which I think is the latest version.

Do anyone else experience improperly rendered pages and "internal communication error" messages on Opera 12.02 release version ? Sometimes it takes a lot of refreshing to get a page show up properly...

I'll try some older snapshot builds, maybe they work better on that part.

11.60 is blazing fast compared to 12.02, and so far seems to behave really nicely too

Edited by TmEE

Do anyone else experience improperly rendered pages and "internal communication error" messages on Opera 12.02 release version ? Sometimes it takes a lot of refreshing to get a page show up properly...

I'll try some older snapshot builds, maybe they work better on that part.

11.60 is blazing fast compared to 12.02, and so far seems to behave really nicely too

I've never had any real problems with Opera 12.02.

I consider that it will probably be the last version that will work under Windows 98, and therefore the most secure.

There's odd niggles like not being able to move things around on the toolbars, but in actual use it seems to be stable and fast.

:)

I am actually getting the problem on 11.60 too, but not as severe. It sometimes takes one reload for a page to show up all the elements... I needed a lot more with 12.02. Gmail was really slow in 12.02, and was so on winXP too - every operation had 1+ second latency...

One other friend of mine is experiencing same kind of problems as well.

EDIT: Seems that enabling the disk cache seems to have improved the situation... I keep the disk cache off and only use the memory cache because it is faster and my internet connection is 120Mbit so caching is not necessary...

Edited by TmEE

I am actually getting the problem on 11.60 too, but not as severe. It sometimes takes one reload for a page to show up all the elements... I needed a lot more with 12.02. Gmail was really slow in 12.02, and was so on winXP too - every operation had 1+ second latency...

One other friend of mine is experiencing same kind of problems as well.

EDIT: Seems that enabling the disk cache seems to have improved the situation... I keep the disk cache off and only use the memory cache because it is faster and my internet connection is 120Mbit so caching is not necessary...

There are plenty of posts on the Opera user forum from people suffering poor performance even with the latest version under supported operating systems.

Others always come back saying they have no problems at all!

I guess there are just some systems that Opera doesn't perform well on.

It would be good if a common cause could be found, but I suspect that's unlikely.

I've been using Opera for years, since version 7, and never had any major problems with it (touch wood!)

Seems that enabling the disk cache seems to have improved the situation... I keep the disk cache off and only use the memory cache because it is faster and my internet connection is 120Mbit so caching is not necessary...

Hi TmEE, do you mean the Windows disk cache or Opera's cache ?? Thx, Mikl

As an aside, I think you should always have disk caching enabled on any browser, no matter how fast your internet connection is.

If you don't, you will be re-downloading things from the web un-necessarily, which increases net congestion for everybody.

Same as Dave-H with Opera 12.02 here, no issue at all that would make me want to go back to an earlier version.

I also switched to Opera 12.02 a while back courtesy of Dave-H via another forum. So far it's been working well overall despite some formatting bugs, especially a black background on the navigation/URL and some other tabs that make it extremely difficult or impossible to view the buttons/options (using the Windows Native skin). Searches of the Opera forums show this is a common complaint without any solution, unfortunately. In recent weeks I have noticed progressively increased load times for Opera, which is becoming extremely annoying. It now takes around 3 mins for the Opera task to show up on the Windows taskbar and around 5+ mins before it fully loads with the bookmarks toolbar, etc. I have no idea why this is occurring. Also, occasionally the Opera window will freeze and become unresponsive, and then not redisplay after minimizing/restoring. The only way to solve this problem is to exit and reload Opera.

Not to be the Thread Police, but it would be nice if these recent Opera-related posts could be moved to the long extensive Opera/KernelEx thread that dencorso and I spent a great deal of effort a while back creating.

Edited by Prozactive