KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

A time ago I installed the portable version of Opera 12 on Windows 98 with kernelex 4.5.2 installed. I renamed the plugin wrapper

to something else. Flash works very well without the plugin wrapper and Javascript works also. I am trying to let quicktime work

now. I see no mime type for it in preferences advanced download. So I tried to add one. But I could not add anything. So I am trying now to

change the opera preferences in the ini file. does anyone how to do this. I already have changed operaprefs.ini. Or operaprefs_default.ini.

Does anyone know which ini file I have to change ?

A time ago I installed the portable version of Opera 12 on Windows 98 with kernelex 4.5.2 installed. I renamed the plugin wrapper to something else. Flash works very well without the plugin wrapper and Javascript works also. I am trying to let quicktime work now. I see no mime type for it in preferences advanced download. So I tried to add one. But I could not add anything. So I am trying now to change the opera preferences in the ini file. does anyone how to do this. I already have changed operaprefs.ini. Or operaprefs_default.ini. Does anyone know which ini file I have to change ?

The QuickTime mime type is listed under the extensions "qt,mov,mqv".

It's "video/quicktime".

I have had no luck getting the QuickTime plugin to work in Opera 12 under Windows 98.

The fact that that the new plugin helper program crashes because of missing dependences in user.exe seems to be insurmountable unless KernelEx can be updated to add the missing dependences.

Sadly it doesn't look as if this is going to happen.

:(

Edited by Dave-H

The fact that that the new plugin helper program crashes because of missing dependences in user.exe seems to be insurmountable unless KernelEx can be updated to add the missing dependences.

Why wait for someone else to fix it when you can Do It Yourself with Kexstubs?

Kexstubs supports every missing api that has been reported on this board (and most of the web). Sloppy error reporting like this is the reason there is not already a fix.

Kexstubs supports every missing api that has been reported on this board (and most of the web). Sloppy error reporting like this is the reason there is not already a fix.

Aside from those in Kernel32.dll which KernelEx caters for there is no other visible missing dependencies for the plugin wrapper and, besides, user.exe is a 16bit file so I am not sure how Kexstubs can be useful here.

Forgot to tell I have no plugins enabled at all and flash and javascript work with opera 12 with kernelex 4.5.2 on windows 98.

I already know what the mime type is for quicktime. But the problem is how to see it under preferences/advanced/download

and how to add it there. I cannot add something. Maybe I first need to enable plugins. I will try.

Forgot to tell I have no plugins enabled at all and flash and javascript work with opera 12 with kernelex 4.5.2 on windows 98.

I already know what the mime type is for quicktime. But the problem is how to see it under preferences/advanced/download and how to add it there. I cannot add something. Maybe I first need to enable plugins. I will try.

Is there no "Add" button on the Opera preferences>advanced>downloads dialogue?

If you're seeing Flash apparently work on YouTube it's probably using HTML5 mode, which it does on my system too.

I guess this doesn't use the Opera plugin helper.

:)

No offence meant, but I'm sorry I don't consider my observations to be "sloppy error reporting"!

I will certainly investigate Kexstubs as it looks very interesting anyway, but as loblo says I'm not holding out much hope that it will do anything for this specific problem.

The pluginwrapper often causes a high cpu and ram usage link on supported and recent systems. Considering these facts maybe it doesn't make any sense to start the wrapper on ten years old and older systems, assuming that we manage to fix the problem possibly with Kexstubs. I am convinced, that this tool has high potential and offers many possibilities. I had begun to search the missing api's, but it seem to be a lot. Comparative easy was to find the four missing API's to start Opera 12.5 alpha. The new Tool Ktree is very helpful. How jumper said we need a DependencyWalker-like tool that is Kex-aware. To find and drop the already supported functions would be no longer required.

Edited by schwups

Hello Dave-H there is a add button I know but it does not work. I have disabled my plugins in quick preferences, because then only flash and javescript seem to work. I have copied my plugins in the J:\programs\opera12\OperaPortable\App\Opera

\program\plugins directory. I think what you see in Preferences/Advanced/Downloads must be in a ini I think maybe I am wrong.

I have set the plugin path in operaprefs_default.ini under [uer Prefs} I also added Browser JavaScript=2. Under section

[File Types] I added video/quicktime=0,,,,qt,mov,| I know there is also another ini file Operaprefsa.ini with various sections

[user Prefs], [Proxy], [Disk Cache], [Extensions], [VoiceXML], [state], [install], [Auto Update], [Network], [Web Server], [Windows]

[HotListWindow], [Cache], [Persistent Storage], [Matches], [File Types Section Info], [File Types], [File Types Extension],

[saved Settings], [sounds],[Multimedia],[Mail],[Trusted Protocols Section Info],[Performance],[Author Display Mode], and

[user Display Mode]

I copied this file into the profile directory of opera portable from my previous version of opera. After turning off plugins under

quick preferences I managed to use flash and javascript. I think maybe I must change a ini file to let quicktime work. I know

that Opera needs to know where the plugin directory is.

My "Add" button does bring up the dialogue box, but when you change things and press "OK" nothing happens.

However if you exit using the "x" in the top right corner, and then go into it again, the changes appear to have been saved!

Very strange behaviour.

The information in the downloads tab of the Opera advanced preferences seems to now be saved in a file called "handlers.ini" in the user's profile folder.

My file has this entry for QuickTime files -

[video/quicktime]

Type=Viewer

Action=6

Application=

Application Description=

Web handler

Plugin Path

Plugin Name

Plugin Description

Save To Folder=

Extension=qt,mov,mqv

Flags=128

I haven't had a chance to experiment with editing it, but if you do have a go I'd be interested in the results.

Edited by Dave-H

Hello Dave-H yes it is handlers.ini and I have added mime type quicktime and it worked I can now see video/quicktime

When I set the plugin path for quicktime though in handlers.ini I cannot see it back under

Preferences/Advanced/Downloads and then under the quicktime section. I realize Opera needs to know where the plugin path is.

I suspect that the reason the plugin information was missing on your installation but not on mine is because I have a dual boot system, and use the same installation of Opera on Windows XP as I do on Windows 98SE.

I think that the plugin wrapper program, which works on XP of course, had scanned for plugins when I was using Opera on XP and had written the necessary information into the ini file.

As you have only used Opera on 98, where the plugin wrapper program won't run, you never had that information written into the files.

I suspect that things like the QuickTime plugins will never run on Opera 12 under 98 because they now need the plugin wrapper program to be detected and loaded.

Even though it all works fine on XP, when I run Opera on 98 I get no plugin information as the wrapper program isn't running.

It would be good if Opera could put in an option to revert to the previous behaviour of Opera 11, which didn't need the wrapper program, especially as many people have complained about its excessive resource usage, but they show no sign of doing that I'm afraid.

:no:

Edited by Dave-H

Hello Dave-H I can agree with you. But how do you explain then that flash and javascript works on my system. I have turned plugins

off under quick preferences and flash and javascript works under windows 98 with kernelex 4.5.2.

Hello Dave-H I can agree with you. But how do you explain then that flash and javascript works on my system. I have turned plugins

off under quick preferences and flash and javascript works under windows 98 with kernelex 4.5.2.

Javascript is not a plugin and Flash most probably doesn't work on your system with that version of Opera. Check it out here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Hello Ioblo yes the newest version of flash works here under windows 98SE with the portable version of Opera 12 and possible also with

the newest version of opera 12.01 with the plugins turned off under quick preferences. I really know that java script is only a setting in the

configuration which you can set to 2 to let it work. But it works here. Well opera needs to know where the plugin path is. I only am trying

to let quicktime work. But I do not know how to figure it out. It does not matter to me what the maker of flash says. It works here with me.