KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

Document and eBook reader STDU Viewer 1.6.171 which supports a great variety of file formats and I recommend the portable version as the dlls need to be registered with regsvr32 for it to fully work. Very cool app I don't think has ever been mentioned. Not a first choice for pdf however as big pdf files takes longer to load and antialising isn't as good as in other readers but I think it covers everything else apart from Microsoft lit format.

http://www.stdutility.com/stduviewer.html

I tried with kernelex 4.5.2 installed Firefox 9.0.1 portable and Firefox 10.0.2 portable and everything worked. Everything that comes after

these versions firefox 11 and up crashes on windows 98 se, these versions crash the same way as some Palemoon versions.

Which Firefox 10 is working? According to http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox : Firefox 10.0.4: Installs and runs unmodified.

However, I failed installing 10.0.4esr on 98SE, it said: Sorry, Firefox can't be installed. This version of Firefox requires Microsoft Windows 2000 or newer.

The wiki seems incorrect. Did you encounter this error too?

The only Firefox 10 mozilla download link is from ESR (10.0.4esr). 10.0.2 download link redirected me to 12.

According to your link installing the ESR (Extended Support Release) version avoids frequent automatic updates that can fail under KernelEx.

When you click on the ESR channel link http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html it now takes you to version 10.05.

Which version should I use? 10.02, 10.04esr, or 10.05esr?

I have been wanting to do a fresh install for months now. I can't take the browser crashes (Firefox 2.0.0.20) much longer.

I want printing, bookmarks, flash, etc to be functioning. The info on all this stuff is spread out enough making this a fairly daunting task.

Edited by leo

Hello. Well I just tried the portable versions of Firefox 9.01 and 10.02 with kernelex 4.5.2. on windows 98 se. I have not watched the kernelex wiki. I think every version 10.02

amd service releases of Firefox will work as 10.02. Firefox 11 and up do not work they give the same problems as some versions of Palemoon. I am just waiting for newer releases to try out.

I tried with kernelex 4.5.2 installed Firefox 9.0.1 portable and Firefox 10.0.2 portable and everything worked. Everything that comes after

these versions firefox 11 and up crashes on windows 98 se, these versions crash the same way as some Palemoon versions.

Which Firefox 10 is working? According to http://kernelex.sour...Mozilla_Firefox : Firefox 10.0.4: Installs and runs unmodified.

However, I failed installing 10.0.4esr on 98SE, it said: Sorry, Firefox can't be installed. This version of Firefox requires Microsoft Windows 2000 or newer.

The wiki seems incorrect. Did you encounter this error too?

The only Firefox 10 mozilla download link is from ESR (10.0.4esr). 10.0.2 download link redirected me to 12.

According to your link installing the ESR (Extended Support Release) version avoids frequent automatic updates that can fail under KernelEx.

When you click on the ESR channel link http://www.mozilla.o...ations/all.html it now takes you to version 10.05.

Which version should I use? 10.02, 10.04esr, or 10.05esr?

I have been wanting to do a fresh install for months now. I can't take the browser crashes (Firefox 2.0.0.20) much longer.

I want printing, bookmarks, flash, etc to be functioning. The info on all this stuff is spread out enough making this a fairly daunting task.

Hello leo,

unfortunately almost always there is any problem. Did you tried Firefox 3.5.19? Plugins: Flash Player 11.1.102.63 or 10.3.183.20 / Java 1.5 Update 22

Add-ons: IE TAB version 1.5.20090525 > allows printing via IE engine.

For FF 10.02 - 10.05 you should install these add-ons: "HyperBK" (bookmarks, history) / "IE View" for printing via IE. Plugin: Flash Player 11.1.102.63 (or use the HTML5 Player inside). You can't run Java applets.

Notation: Firefox versions 10.02 - 10.05 aren't as stable as the versions before up to 9.01 for me. I have to do some more tests. I don't know which version of 10.02 - 10.05 is the best on 98/ME.

Edited by schwups

loblo, I have already mentioned STDU Viewer :) And I install normal version (it registers dlls) and then use portable one to avoid registering dlls manually. I think this way is easier.

Recently I tried Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012 - it can be run successfully on Windows 98 with KernelEx, no special settings are required. It even supports MS Office 2007/2010 formats, though I have tried only usual doc and xls - I didn't have any new office files to try. Seems to work greatly.

Edited by M()zart

Ah OK, sorry, I didn't notice that. I prefer portable btw because the dlls are in the same folder as the executable whereas the installer puts them some place else if I am not mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there. I installed Firefox 14.01 portable. There is a problem with dll files msvcr100.dlland msvcp100.dll just as with the palemoon

versions. I checked with Dependency walker there are missing import and export functions to kernel32.dll.

I tried to run Firefox 14.01 portable with kernelex 4.5.2 on windows 98 I got a missing import function from kernel32.dll.

When I checked with Dependency walker you could see there are several import and export functions missing.

>I installed Firefox 14.01 portable. There is a problem with dll files msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll ....

>I tried to run Firefox 14.01 portable with kernelex 4.5.2 on windows 98 I got a missing import function from kernel32.dll.

KernelEx supports some of the msvc*100 dependencies; Kexstubs supports the rest.

>When I checked with Dependency walker you could see there are several import and export functions missing.

Dependency Walker makes invalid assumptions about how the loader resolves external dependencies. KernelEx users should _not_ use it.

Please report (and only report) the Missing Export messages generated by the loader.