Youtube Memory Leak ! Sucks All the Memory!

esecallum

has anyone else noticed since last week if you open about 1 or 2 or 3 tabs in firefox 2.0.0.20 with youtube videos it will soon after a few minutes to start freezing and the youtube thumbnails start disappearing and your text/font turns really black and a size larger.

then you have to close firefox and restart it.

this only started happening over the last 5 or6 days.

before last week i could open 6 or 7 tabs with videos and no freezing or memory leak occurred for ages.

i should point this ONLY happens on a youtube page.

it is not a virus or any background process.i have checked all that.i have used backup versions of firefox and windows me and it is definitely a youtube issue. i use win me.

i have other hard drives from last year and not used and when i tried them they again all showed the youtube memory leak.

memory monitor indicates plenty of free ram and the memory sucking only happens on the youtube page on firefox.rest of pc not effected.

so have youtube changed there code?

have they some kind of heavy java usage in the ground?

what can w do about it?

Edited by esecallum

has anyone else noticed since last week if you open about 1 or 2 or 3 tabs in firefox 2.0.0.20 with youtube videos it will soon after a few minutes to start freezing and the youtube thumbnails start disappearing and your text/font turns really black and a size larger.

before last week i could open 6 or 7 tabs with videos and no freezing or memory leak occurred for ages.

it is not a virus or any background process.i have checked all that.i have used backup versions of firefox and windows me and it is definitely a youtube issue. i use win me.

i have other hard drives from last year and not used and when i tried them they again all showed the youtube memory leak.

memory monitor indicates plenty of free ram and the memory sucking only happens on the youtube page on firefox.rest of pc not effected.

what can w do about it?

Sounds like excessive Resource usage rather than a Memory leak.

Default Fonts are a sign of Resource depletion.

Try using the Resource Monitor instead of a Memory Monitor to confirm it.

EnTech Taiwan has this little free utility called ResMan for Windows 98SE. Maybe it could be of some help.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/legacy.shtm

ResMan integrates a resource monitor, process manager and memory recovery into a single little utility (124 kb) that resides in the system tray. ResMan will require the Microsoft libraries in this 16kb archive if they aren't already installed in your system directory. (Windows 95/98/Me only)

what can w do about it?

Sounds like excessive Resource usage rather than a Memory leak.

Default Fonts are a sign of Resource depletion.

Try using the Resource Monitor instead of a Memory Monitor to confirm it.

Thanks you are right.i tried it as you suggested above.the resource warning comes up.

i have not installed the above revolutions pack at all

I don';t understand what is on youtube that could be consuming these resources as it only happens on youtube. and it only started last week.

i have disable firefox extensions and did tweaks to make it release memory ,etc in firefox but to no avail.

the cpu is mostly idle as i have cpu idle which shows cpu use and clock speed.

it must be some kind of process on the page.

which resource would it be?

how can we find out?

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone else noticed since last week if you open about 1 or 2 or 3 tabs in firefox 2.0.0.20 with youtube videos it will soon after a few minutes to start freezing and the youtube thumbnails start disappearing and your text/font turns really black and a size larger. then you have to close firefox and restart it.

Since 2.0.0.20 is the Firefox (FF) version I use, I thought I'd try the multi-tab scenario to see what results I got.

My system parameters:

Windows 98, Pentium II (450MHz) processor, 384MB RAM, Flash Player 9.0.47.0 (the highest version I can use with my P II), no FF add-ons (i.e., no extensions or themes).

Procedure:

I opened up 5 FF browsers and put the YouTube video (very romantic and artistic, IMO) URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJOzdLwvTHA

in the address line of each. I clicked "enter" for each browser in succession. So, each browser was playing the song at the same time -- but, of course, the songs were a little out of sync because it took a finite amount of time to click "enter" for the different opened browsers. Everything went perfectly. As the songs played, I checked the status of the videos on each opened browser. There were absolutely no problems for my system.

If there are any other "experiments" of this type that you want me do, just let me know.