system restore through system recovery problem

M_win

Hello.

I recently made some changes to the registry, which I believe messed up my installation (the tool I was using required me to reboot, once I had rebooted, I received a BSOD - 0x000000F4 closely following seeing my mouse pointer for about... 2 seconds.)

Right, so anyways, no problem! I made a system restore point! So I figure I would just boot into winRE and restore... except when I get to the screen to confirm restore, I am given a list of drives, but only one drive is listed.

"Drive C. - status: you must enable system protection on this drive" (winRE recognizes drive D as my windows 7 drive...which doesn't even show up on this list.)

Amongst all that, the checkbox AND the button labeled "next" are both greyed out.

Is there anything I can do to recover from here? Or am I screwed for good?

I made a system restore point! So I figure I would just boot into winRE and restore.

Hi!

A system restore point allows you a restore operation when all modified elements are saved. Very frequently that operation doesn't work, and there's no solution for it, I'm afraid.

The only secure way to rebuild your OS is saving an image into an external device, preferably an external HDD.

Windows 7 offers you this option and of course this is the first thing that always should be made when using a preinstalled comp.

HTH