Remove Windows Firewall

PROBLEMCHYLD

I would like to remove Windows XP firewall from my system (all files + all traces) with either a batch file or reg file.

I searched the forums and only find posts about disabling. I would like to remove it and will not be reinstalling it. Thank you guys

Netrass.inf seems to install it (its shortname is sharedaccess) with other network components. You might be able to remove it this way (i never tried so i can't guarantee it).

I found problem when W.M.I service was failing, both Firewall & Internet Connection Sharing service also gone.

i also looking a way to remove windows' firewall (yeah removing, not just disable stuff) while preserving ICS.

currently not posible by removing services using autoruns, as firewall & ICS are the same services.

rant: why are hell XP ICS need WMI anyway?

win9x ICS doesn't need that stuff.

Netrass.inf seems to install it (its shortname is sharedaccess) with other network components. You might be able to remove it this way (i never tried so i can't guarantee it).

This is a start, thank you.

I've been searching high n low and there is no tutorial nor instructions on how to remove it.

:w00t: I guess google don't have all the answers. :}

• 1 month later...

fwiw, Windows is not as compartmentalized as other OS's and the components are intertwined within the OS. Some applications, even legacy folders, take far more effort to remove 'completely' than it's worth. As long as the service is disabled there should be no issue with it co-existing peacefully on the system. The result does not justify the time and effort spent. If you want total control over your OS, Windows is not for you.

Now for the truly serious cases of OCD that just have to have it removed, the above obviously does not apply.