On Bootable CD's Floppy Emulation

rloew

I've moved the posts I thought would really be best in the superfloppy thread. Should I move more posts? PM me your comments, please. This post and the one above it are candidates for deletion as soon as we are all agreed upon this latest split/merge operation.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any interest in them, to justify packaging them?

Who knows? :unsure:

My remark was more a "generic" one, you have something in your closet, you may be willing to sell it, but until you don't take it out of the closet and put it on display on your desk, under a big "for sale" sign you have 100% possibilities (read as "certainty") that noone will ever buy it, or the other way round 0% probabilities of ever selling it.

Once you have it in plain view on the desk it is possible that someone is interested to it, you will have n% probabilities that someone will buy it, and no matter how little n will be it will always verify the n>=0 condition, with a chance of also verifying the n>0 one. :)

jaclaz

I have now posted a Demo and Manuals for my CDTOOLS Package on my Website.

Incidentally N was =1 weeks before I posted my CDTOOLS Package.

• 2 weeks later...

I have added code to my 23GB Bootable Floppy Emulation BD-RE to support Writing. The Disk now can run DOS and be loaded or edited using standard utilities. Software can be run that needs to self-modify or save data.

• 5 weeks later...

I have completed two versions of my Bootable Read/Write Emulators for DVD+RW and BD-RE.

The first emulates a Floppy Drive and supports the full size of the Disk. It can be formatted and used like a large Floppy.

The second emulates a Hard Drive and can be Partitioned and Formatted using standard tools.

• 1 month later...

Can someone simplify the steps in making a superfloppy (ie larger than 1.44mb/2.88mb) boot image? I've tried using the boot image files off the bcdw site but they don't boot (test with a msdos vm in vmware with the floppy using the image file and booting off the floppy). I've also gone thru this thread and tried that 32mb boot floppy image and it doesn't work. Looks like its missing a bootsector? Tho is prolly something I'm doing wrong.. I opened it up in WinImage and dumped my dos program and files into it and resaved it.. tried to boot it in vmware and had no success :(

I've been trawling the net and threads and everything out there is a bit beyond me. Or maybe I'm just losing my patience !! ugh.

All I want to do is boot up off a raw image file with a appropiate bootsector, that allows it to boot dos and then run a dos program contained within the image file. The total payload is about 12 mb.

The best I've been able to do is make a bootable iso using eltorito but the boot image used uses fdd emulation, so it doesn't really work. And it seems an impossibility to try and find simple steps in making a "no emulation" boot image for use on a iso file to boot it.

I've tried grub4dos but haven't gotten far with that either... sorry if this is a bit offtopic but i'm getting desperate now!!

Edited by pengo

Can someone simplify the steps in making a superfloppy (ie larger than 1.44mb/2.88mb) boot image? I've tried using the boot image files off the bcdw site but they don't boot (test with a msdos vm in vmware with the floppy using the image file and booting off the floppy). I've also gone thru this thread and tried that 32mb boot floppy image and it doesn't work. Looks like its missing a bootsector? Tho is prolly something I'm doing wrong.. I opened it up in WinImage and dumped my dos program and files into it and resaved it.. tried to boot it in vmware and had no success :(

I've been trawling the net and threads and everything out there is a bit beyond me. Or maybe I'm just losing my patience !! ugh.

All I want to do is boot up off a raw image file with a appropiate bootsector, that allows it to boot dos and then run a dos program contained within the image file. The total payload is about 12 mb.

The best I've been able to do is make a bootable iso using eltorito but the boot image used uses fdd emulation, so it doesn't really work. And it seems an impossibility to try and find simple steps in making a "no emulation" boot image for use on a iso file to boot it.

I've tried grub4dos but haven't gotten far with that either... sorry if this is a bit offtopic but i'm getting desperate now!!

The bootable CD Images described in this thread are designed to be used with El Torito Floppy Emulation. No Emulation mode requires a custom bootstrap to load code. I have written some DDOs that use this mode.

Looks like its missing a bootsector? Tho is prolly something I'm doing wrong.. I opened it up in WinImage and dumped my dos program and files into it and resaved it.. tried to boot it in vmware and had no success :(

Try using Winimage to add one to it (possibly the proper one for the DOS that you are using. (and that you didn't specify yet).

BUT I cannot say if VMware can actually boot from a "fantasy" super-floppy. :unsure:

To test the image you might need to use grub4dos or memdisk to map the floppy image (saved on hard disk or vritual hard disk) inside the VM.

BTW I also replied on the "original" thread you started on 911CD:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24618&hl=

For the record, it is perfectly normal that when you "enter the game" you will be lost initially.

The advice is:

DO NOT PANIC!

(assume the above in large friendly letters) :)

You will see that with a little of patience you will get what you want.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 1 year later...

And to be fair, RLoew rocks, too: he was the one that discovered/invented the 36 MiB floppy! worship.gif

Maybe yes, maybe no. :w00t: (he does "rock", but possibly not for this specific item)

To be fair:

cdob posted - passing by - this info earlier, but it went unnoticed/wasn't followed (most probably at the time "we" weren't ready for it :blushing: ).

The main blame :ph34r: (of not noticing it) is of course to be put on Multibooter :whistle: (and to some extents to myself), but he also has the merit :thumbup (of having re-vamped the topic), and I claim that without my "torturing" RLoew (and cdob) :wacko: we wouldn't have had the matter fully exposed as we have it now.

All in all, I would say that the whole thing is a "product of the community" in the best sense of it, everyone contributed to it, proportionally to their capabilities and inclinations :yes: .

jaclaz

And to be fair, RLoew rocks, too: he was the one that discovered/invented the 36 MiB floppy! worship.gif

Maybe yes, maybe no. :w00t: (he does "rock", but possibly not for this specific item)

To be fair:

cdob posted - passing by - this info earlier, but it went unnoticed/wasn't followed (most probably at the time "we" weren't ready for it :blushing: ).

You must be slipping. The following post is 8 Months older.

You must be slipping. The following post is 8 Months older.

Yep :), I was comparing the referenced post to the first post of this thread, and intentionally posted the info in the dubitative form :unsure: of "maybe yes, maybe no" ;).

The difference between aakozi and aakozidog should be evident :whistle: :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubitative_mood

jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_FINAL.gif

But I stand corrected :yes: .

Every post should be now correctly referenced and "connected", unfortunately increasing the responsibility of Multibooter for not noticing it (twice :ph34r: ), but I would say again "good", another positive result of the community ! :thumbup

jaclaz