A Security Update fails to install

penguin32

Hi, the following critical security update is listed every time I perform a Windows Update and fails to install:

Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 XML Editor (KB2251487)

I tried downloading the executable and manually install it but it also fails. Also, I don't have any Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" listing in the Add/Remove Programs applet.

I'd appreciate any suggestions to fix this, thanks.

My system is Windows XP Pro SP3 with all updates installed (except the one mentioned here)

The details offered by Windows Update on the above Security Update are the following:

Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 XML Editor (KB2251487)

Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)

A security issue has been identified leading to an XXE (Xml eXternal Entity) vulnerability. You can protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Date last published: 6/14/2011

A security issue has been identified leading to an XXE (Xml eXternal Entity) vulnerability. You can protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

System Requirements

Recommended CPU: Not specified.

Recommended memory: Not specified.

Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.

How to Uninstall

This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Get help and support

http://support.microsoft.com

More information

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=195035

Installing Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 XML Editor (KB2251487) (update 1 of 5)... failed!

• 1 month later...

MS11-049 covers InfoPath and SQL server as well as VS. Depending on what you have installed, you can try the individual updates and possible QFEs to patch your system. You may also want to manually run the patch and use the /log switch to capture the error details. I'd also check the file version (microsoft.xmleditor.dll) to see if it is at, or past, the version that the update is trying to install (3.5.30729.5665)

Sometimes Windows Update fails to install an update because you didn't install the dependent software in a specific order. I found this out after a .NET Framework 1.1 update failed to install. After uninstalling all the .NET Frameworks and reinstalling them, starting with 1.1 and then downloading the patch before .NET Framework 2.0, the patch passed.