3G modem shared internet with ethernet router.

Hello.

Pardon my ignorance, but I was unsure how to go about doing this if even possible.

I currently only have one means to connect to the internet. It's through an usb 3g modem. My problem is that I have several other devices I'd like to connect as well, but they only support ethernet (or wireless).

I have an old wireless router sitting around. I was wondering if it'd be possible to use it as a wired, or wireless, 'bridge' to connect the devices to the internet while my PC is connected through the usb modem of course?

That depends on what router it is, most likely you would be better off using just a WIFI card in your PC and share your internet connection. I never have tried it so I hope others can help a bit more with it.

Moving this topic to its appropriate place.

• 2 months later...

I got a similar setup, but as always, didn't make notes on the exact steps taken, so it's up to you to figure out a few things.

After setting up the 3G modem with drivers and all, set the respective connection as default Internet connection (Control Panel > Internet Options).

Then enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) which will basicly do all the hard work for you: IP of the main machine will be changed to 192.168.0.1 and the connection will be "forwarded" to all other machines connected to the local network. At some point it will ask you if you want other machines to be able to dial in the connection when needed (phrasing may be slightly different but the basic idea is the same); choose 'Yes' so that any of your machines would be able to dial in the connection without you having to manually connect (this way, the main machine could work keyboardless and monitorless if you're short of peripherals).

The nice thing is you don't need a router since the other machines could connect directly through a switch (if you have one). But if they're unable to connect through wired connection, then you'll have to set up your router so that the IP of the main machine will be its gateway to the Internet. It's been a couple years since I last used my router and kinda forgot its internals, so you'll have to poke around. Just make sure to set the internal network class in the router different from 192.168.0.x as it would interfere with the IP of the main machine.