[DISCONTINUED] Update Rollup 2 for Windows 2000

tomasz86

Here's a suggestion...

Before installing WMP9, try installing WindowsMedia9-KB891122-x86-Global-ENU.exe by extracting Wmfdist.exe from it (the previous link explains how to extract it), and then double-clicking Wmfdist.exe. Msdmo.dll is included in 891122.

(It might also be possible to install 891122 before WMP9 without extracting Wmfdist.exe - I'm not sure. My understanding is that, pre-WMP9, you have to do it this way.)

Edited by bristols

I'll check it once again but I suspect the Revolutions Pack 2.0 may have something to do with it... of course it's just a guess :whistle:

By the way, I didn't install WMP9 and WMP10 later but straight WMP10 on top of WMP6. I'll check the WMP9 + WMP10 combination too.

Could you try to install the latest IE6 Cumulative Update (2482017) and see what happens?

EDIT: I managed to reproduce the error and I'll try to fiind out what causes it.

So does the Revolutions Pack do anything bad to it? The only reason I use it is not for the updated toolbar, but because Dr. Hoiby's 256 systray patch doesn't perfectly patch all of it, one thing I can think of offhand is WinZip quick pick, where RP patches it completely, making the true color icons show up.

As for WMP10, I always thought WMP9 needed to be installed first. If that's not the case then I won't worry about it. I'm wondering if I had this problem before with W2k but I never noticed it as I don't really right click on my drive icons that often. I think I went to initiate an AVG scan and that's when I discovered it. At least we know what the problem is now.

So, if I may ask, why did you strip gdiplus.dll, Windows Installer 3.1 and the like from the UR2? Do you plan on adding them back in later on or just leave it as it is?

Revolutions Pack has nothing to do with the problem. It was just a wrong guess :whistle:

The problem seems to be related strictly to the new version of BWC kernel & WMP10 themselves. I tested it in a few different configurations and the problem always occurs right after installing WMP10 (BWC kernel was already installed). You might have not experienced it before simply because you used a different (older) version of BWC kernel which didn't conflict with WMP10... And I don't think WMP9 is required for BWC's WMP10.

As for MSI3.1 - of course it will be included in UR2 later on :) and gdiplus.dll isn't originally a part of W2K so it's included not in UR2 but rather in UURollup.

I see same problem on my Virtual PC in your step.

There is a problem in WMP 10 installer.

(The installer would not install shellxp.dll)

Please try to do dynamic install shell32 into system32 with kdllinst.

Thx.

Update: I figured it out! After installing Blackwingcat's latest version of Windows Media Player 10, when right clicking on an explorer drive, explorer crashes. It doesn't seem to happen on anything except in My Computer, it seems right clicking on anything else, anywhere else, is fine.

Edited by blackwingcat

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, going to try it soon, but quick question why does a lot of your files come back as malware and spam on Norton 360

You should ask Symantec about it. I think it may be related to the fact that these updates replace system files and modify many system related registry keys. Also they use exactly the same structure as M$ official updates but the difference between them is that M$ updates are digitally signed while mine are not.

Also is the UURollup9b better than this, if not then whats the difference?

The two are completely different.

Unofficial Updates Rollup (UURollup) = a rollup of unofficial updates

Update Rollup 2 = a rollup of official updates & hotfixes

They are complementary.

EDIT

By the way, which files exactly are reported as malware?? Out of curiosity I've just scanned the newest update created today through Virustotal and this is the result:

https://www.virustotal.com/file/94d8a389ab82e44c0a99949469058adc1f826d9181dcf88840aa304bf1296d5f/analysis/1336600967/

Edited by tomasz86

Thanks, going to try it soon, but quick question why does a lot of your files come back as malware and spam on Norton 360

You should ask Symantec about it. I think it may be related to the fact that these updates replace system files and modify many system related registry keys. Also they use exactly the same structure as M$ official updates but the difference between them is that M$ updates are digitally signed while mine are not.

Also is the UURollup9b better than this, if not then whats the difference?

The two are completely different.

Unofficial Updates Rollup (UURollup) = a rollup of unofficial updates

Update Rollup 2 = a rollup of official updates & hotfixes

They are complementary.

EDIT

By the way, which files exactly are reported as malware?? Out of curiosity I've just scanned the newest update created today through Virustotal

Oh well that makes sense, but its mainly trying to download them, either by the link you give to your download such as UURollup9b or when its in the process of downloading and Norton cuts the download off

And thanks, which one should I install first the Update Rollup 2 or UURollup9b? or does it even matter?

Also by the way is there a precise way to install the files, cause every time I install the files such as UURollup9b and reboot, it comes back as a winlogin error and automatically restarts and does not go into Windows 2000

Edited by j19w

Oh well that makes sense, but its mainly trying to download them, either by the link you give to your download such as UURollup9b or when its in the process of downloading and Norton cuts the download off

It seems to be related to the simple fact that they are *.exe files and some AV scanners may not like it. I've already been thinking about packing them to CAB or 7z before uploading.

And thanks, which one should I install first the Update Rollup 2 or UURollup9b? or does it even matter?

Also by the way is there a precise way to install the files, cause every time I install the files such as UURollup9b and reboot, it comes back as a winlogin error and automatically restarts and does not go into Windows 2000

UURollup requires SP4 & Update Rollup 1 and Update Rollup 2 also requires only SP4 & Update Rollup 1 so it doesn't really matter which one you install first. UURollup contains newer files so I'd install it after Update Rollup 2. Still it shouldn't make any real difference because the installer checks for file versions and installs only the newest ones.

What errors are you exactly getting? Are you saying that your system gets broken after installing UURollup? :huh: What kind of updates have you got installed at the moment?

Edited by tomasz86

It seems to be related to the simple fact that they are *.exe files and some AV scanners may not like it. I've already been thinking about packing them to CAB or 7z before uploading.

Ah ok, well I have been getting around my antivirus with the files, but 7zip sounds nice ;)

UURollup requires SP4 & Update Rollup 1 and Update Rollup 2 also requires only SP4 & Update Rollup 1 so it doesn't really matter which one you install first. UURollup contains newer files so I'd install it after Update Rollup 2. Still it shouldn't make any real difference because the installer checks for file versions and installs only the newest ones.

What errors are you exactly getting? Are you saying that your system gets broken after installing UURollup? :huh: What kind of updates have you got installed at the moment?

I have been starting with a clean install with Service Pack 5 slipstreamed on a virtual machine and than Windows 2000 Revolution installed afterwards

I have been starting with a clean install with Service Pack 5 slipstreamed on a virtual machine and than Windows 2000 Revolution installed afterwards

I'll try to do a test using the same setup. Which VM program are you using?

By the way, 32-bit icon support is included in UURollup (thanks to WildBill's patches) so I don't think you will need the Revolutions Pack after installing it.

I'll try to do a test using the same setup. Which VM program are you using?

By the way, 32-bit icon support is included in UURollup (thanks to WildBill's patches) so I don't think you will need the Revolutions Pack after installing it.

Thanks, I am using Oracle VM VirtualBox, with Service Pack 5 slipstreamed by nLight, and then installing UURollup9b manually on Windows 2000

I am going to try to slipstream UURollup9b with nLight and see if it works

And thanks!! Didn't know that

I am going to try to slipstream UURollup9b with nLight and see if it works

Don't even try! :ph34r:

The only proper and recommended way to slipstream UURollup is using HFSLIP. nLite cannot slipstream it directly.