[DISCONTINUED] Update Rollup 2 for Windows 2000

tomasz86

I did install manually. Basically I did it this way. I installed Windows 2000 with SP4 already slipstreamed into it. I then installed the ALPHA3 version of UR2. Then I installed bwc's latest kernel extension. I was stupid and redid my system to something I can use for now but I will right now get onto VMware and try to replicate the error. I will post here what I find.

I think it does matter as UR2 would probably overwrite bwc's kernel, so installing UR2 would give me a completely updated system and then I'd install the kernel extension afterwards.

There are only official updates included in UR2 and there is no possiblity that they will overwrite BWC kernel files... because the M$ hotfix installer checks file versions so it doesn't matter whether BWC kernel is installed before or after UR2. The only chance is that something gets messed up in the registry.

First it's necessary to be sure that it's UR2 to cause the issue so I'd be very thankful if you try to uninstall it and check if the explorer.exe problem persists :)

You don't have WB kernel (2393802, 2479628 or 2508429) installed, do you?

One very important question: Have you got IE6 slipstreamed/installed?

Edited by tomasz86

I did not slipstream IE6, and that's something very important I left out. I installed IE6 after I installed the ALPHA3 update, which I've always done. I do not have WB's kernel at all, I've only dealt with blackwingcat's.

As an update right now, ALPHA doesn't seem to be causing the problem. I have just installed IE6 and I'm going to see what happens. It DOES however seem like it said that IE encounted a problem and needed to close after the exception, then that's when My Computer closed out. However, it is not doing that now. I will install bwc's kernel and see what happens.

Now there's something I've never been able to actually understand, how does the update itself work? You said that there's no way bwc's kernel could get overwritten. How is that possible? Is the file actually overwritten or does it just expand? When you install the update, I'm sure a copy of kernel32 gets copied, so how could it not get overwritten? I hope that question makes sense.

I asked about IE6 because BWC kernel requires it. UR2 does not. Please remember that the the moment not all official updates are included in UR2-ALPHA3, i.e. WMP/DX/IE udpates are not included and what may be important - MSI 3.1 is also not included so you need to install them manually. Personally I've experienced issues when MSI 3.1 was not installed and unofficial updates were used so I strongly advice you to install MSI 3.1 after installing UR2.

As for M$ hotfix installer, it's pretty simple. It checks file versions so if you have the same file with lower version then of course it will overwrite it. On the other hand, if your file has higher version then it will remain in the system. For example:

BWC kernel32.dll = 5.0.2195.7161

UR2 kernel32.dll = 5.0.2195.7135

7161 > 7135 so if you:

1) install BWC kernel after UR2 it will overwrite the old one.

2) install UR2 after BWC kernel it won't overwrite kernel32.dll because a newer version is already present.

Ah, that makes perfect sense! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Well, sadly, I can't reproduce the error now. However, WMP does complain about msdmo.dll not being present when installing WMP9 which I've never experienced before. I was wondering why the package was smaller than the last UR2, if I remember correctly, the one I had was around 51MB. I didn't experience any problems with that myself. So anyway, if I try installing WMP9, it does complain about that dll being missing and when I try to play something with the player afterwards, it crashes and explorer seemed to go with it. If that's any help of any kind for anything or if you want me to check into anything else, let me know.

@tomasz86, it seems that until you are able to put together a complete SP6 type pack together, you'll need to have a step-by-step posted somewhere that people can reference showing what they need to install, and in what order, if they want to end up with that type of result, showing what is required, what tools to use with what settings where appropriate, what the options are and what they do for you, etc. You might have already done this before, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment. Yes I know there will be choices and options and as you pull more of the resources together the steps might change, but right now I'm sure that folks that haven't used your stuff before can easily get confused. I also realize that as long as your work is structured to be used with HFSLIP, which I like a lot don't get me wrong, it will probably never be able to be combined into a single all-encompassing pack such as what Onepiece put together. I guess that's one of the reasons that I suggested possibly working with Kurt_Aust to lay out a start to finish How To guide that folks can follow.

Cheers and Regards

@SearanoX

Is this correct?

1) You use W2K SP4 original CD to install the system.

2) Install manually UR2.

3) Run WMP9 installer and see the msdmo.dll error.

4) Explorer crashes when running WMP9?

@bphlpt

I see the problem. I'll try to make some suggestions regarding the Kurt_Aust guide and current unofficial updates.

By the way, OnePiece pack seems to be compatible with HFSLIP too :P (HFAAO folder). The biggest difference between my packages and addons is that they use M$ installer and can be both slipstreamed and installed manually while OnePiece packages are just addons.

Edited by tomasz86

@tomasz86: Yes, absolutely correct. During the install of WMP9, the error for msdmo.dll comes up approximently five times before install continues and it says install was not successful which it always did for me anyway. When you launch the player, it launches fine and everything else is fine as well, but as soon as you try to play something, it crashes. It works perfectly though when I put my XP msdmo.dll file in the system32 file. There is no reason I use that version, it's just that I have a system32 XP cache on my external in case I needed certain files.

Update: I figured it out! After installing Blackwingcat's latest version of Windows Media Player 10, when right clicking on an explorer drive, explorer crashes. It doesn't seem to happen on anything except in My Computer, it seems right clicking on anything else, anywhere else, is fine.

I've just tried different configurations:

1. W2K SP4 + WMP9 = no problems

2. W2K SP4 + UR2 + WMP9 = no problems

3. W2K SP4 + IE6 + WMP9 = no problems

4. W2K SP4 + IE6 + UR2 + WMP9 = no problems

5. W2K SP4 + IE6 + UR2 + 2412687 (gdiplus.dll) + KDW (Ez Install) + 935839-v15p (BWC kernel) + WMP10 = no problems

I don't think UR2 causes any incompatiblities with WMP9 or Explorer... You do know that WMP10 requires IE6, gdiplus.dll, some APIs from BWC kernel and also requires to have KDW Ez Install enabled, and that it needs to copy some files from KDW during the installation process, don't you? ^^

I don't use WMP10 myself but this is what I had to do a moment ago when I was trying to install it on a test machine.

Are you sure that you copy of W2K CD is clean and untouched? The file you mentioned (msdmo.dll) should be present in %systemroot%\system32 by default (and is present on my machine concerned).

Here you can see the Add/Remove Programs applet from my test VM:

DuE5A.png

Edited by tomasz86

Hmm, I don't think it's my copy even though surprisingly, I don't find the actual file on any of my Windows 2000 CD-ROMs. I do know in the past with the original UR2 package that I had no problems at all. Typically I would install Windows, then the UR2 package, then IE6, then BWC kernel, then WMP9, then WMP10. With all of that in the past, I never had a single problem, everything just worked. I do have the API wrappers installed with Ez Install enabled. Later on I'll try some of your configurations when it's not so late. I've done this at least a million times and never had any issues so I'm not exactly sure what's going on now.

I'm uploading my Add/Remove Programs and what I see when I right click on the My Computer drives. And none of this stuff I have installed is any different than I always had except for the different rollup package.

Edited by SearanoX

I'll check it once again but I suspect the Revolutions Pack 2.0 may have something to do with it... of course it's just a guess :whistle:

By the way, I didn't install WMP9 and WMP10 later but straight WMP10 on top of WMP6. I'll check the WMP9 + WMP10 combination too.

Could you try to install the latest IE6 Cumulative Update (2482017) and see what happens?

EDIT: I managed to reproduce the error and I'll try to fiind out what causes it.

Edited by tomasz86

Something is messed up with BWC's WMP10 and the newest version of his kernel. I've just tested it on a different VM where OnePiece's UpdatePack had been slipstreamed, and the result is still the same. UR2 has nothing to do with the problem :angel

The problem occurs immediately after installing WMP10! And BWC's WMP10 cannot be normally uninstalled so you should be very careful...

Edited by tomasz86