[DISCONTINUED] Update Rollup 2 for Windows 2000

tomasz86

tomasz86,

While I was sad to hear you cancelled plans for UR2.1 I can totally understand your decision. I appreciate all the hard work you've put into UR2 and find it a great addition to facilitate our slipstreaming efforts.

I decided after numerous unsuccessful attempts to just include KB956844 in the HF folder. Every attempt did not update the triedit.dll file. It may not be the correct way but it works.

I still have one problem with Microsoft Update asking for KB982381 Cumulative Security Update for IE6 SP1. Is this supposed to happen? I thought the UR or IE/OE Rolloup was going to prevent this from happening.

Please see my HFSLIP log and Microsoft Update page attached.

Thanks again for your input.

My2GirlsDad

• 2 months later...

I've improved the script I use to merge updates and I've been testing a new version of IE6 Mini Rollup I made using it. Why am I posting about it here?

I believe the problem related to KB982381 showing up on WU is fixed. It doesn't show up anymore when IE 6 Mini Rollup is installed even though all official & unofficial updates are included in it.

Edited by tomasz86

I've improved the script I use to merge updates and I've been testing a new version of IE6 Mini Rollup I made using it. Why am I posting about it here?

I believe the problem related to KB982381 showing up on WU is fixed. It doesn't show up anymore when IE 6 Mini Rollup is installed even though all official & unofficial updates are included in it.

tomasz86,

Are these scripts ready to download yet? Will they be available here or over at RyanVm?

Just Wondering,

My2GirlsDad

Do you mean the script to merge updates or IE6 Mini Rollup?

Almost everything related to this script is here. I've just been improving it as time goes by. It's still far from perfect, not fully automated and requires manual adjusting.

As for the IE6 Mini Rollup, I want to add IE6/OE6 installer to it so it'll probably take some time to get ready yet.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

italian version not working for me.

It says "File ocsasnfix.exe is missing from the installation package UR2. To continue with UR2 installation this file is necessary." (the error message is translated from italian so please forgive any errors).

I've read this file is an office component, I don't use Office. What can I do? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Narsil83

Yo're right. It seems that I forgot to add ocsasnfix.exe to the Polish and Italian versions of the Rollup. It doesn't cause any errors when slipstreaming but you're installing it in a running system so ocsasnfix.exe is required. It's just a fix in case you use any of the applications listed here.

Please unpack the Rollup, download ocsasnfix.exe from the link above and place it in the root directory of UR2. Then please try running update\update.exe and see what happens.

You can unpack it from command line using /X switch but you can also just use 7-Zip or any other archiver.

Edited by tomasz86

I did as you said and it worked, thanks.

You may want to consider updating Italian and Polish packs with the missing file when you have time as it's not unusual to install on a running system.

Some may just think "it doesn't work" and drop it, rather than posting the problem on the forums.

I take the occasion to give kudos to this project, it's very helpful and allowed me to save a lot of time, despite the little issue.

Edited by Narsil83

No problem :)

In fact I want to make one more version of UR2 which will be available in all 24 supported languages. Initially I wanted to make a Service Pack but it's an impossible task to do for a one person and quite risky too (there are some differences in included files depending on a language version) so Service Pack will be available only in English and (maybe) in Polish. I don't want to update the current rollup as it has some bugs which can't be fixed without totally reorganising the structure of it. I guess it will be better to start everything from the beginning and make sure that all bugs are eliminated. I'm using a much safer approach now which doesn't involve merging registry entries coming from each update into a one big single section but instead I have these entries listed for each update separately so they are processed serially. This time I also won't include any IE updates because it's impossible to mix IE5 and IE6 ones together and there are problems with both WU and SFC related to them.

Edited by tomasz86

• 1 month later...

First off ... tomasz86, thanks for Update Rollup 2! It's totally awesome! :D

The info below is kinda tangential and not directly related to the topic being discussed here, but some might find it useful.

You can still directly download WMP 9 (Windows Media Player 9) from the microsoft.com website by pasting the URL below into your browser and "going to it." You could also right click, save as. What you will get is a 13951112 byte download of the MPSetup.exe program which is WMP 9 for Windows 2000, 98 SE and Me. IE 6 for Win2K is easily found on the MS website, but if there is a web page on the MS website that offers easy access to this DL I cannot find it. I looked for over an hour. It seems that they really want to discourage WMP 9 usage by XP owners (closely related DL). This DL is probably somewhere on MSFN (or a link), but I'm only an occasional visitor, so I don't know where to look.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/b/c/1bc0b1a3-c839-4b36-8f3c-19847ba09299/MPSetup.exe

Some stuff for search engines ...

Size = 13951112 = 13,951,112 bytes

MD5 = E919C4E0050B32AEBE83A5D2EB613DD4

SHA1 = 580536D10657FA3868DE2869A3902D31A0DE791B

It appears that that URL has been working since 2004 or before.

English is supported, but I'm not sure if other languages are.

Keep in mind that a fresh install of WMP 9 will surely need some security patches installed. Sorry, but I'm not addressing that here.

I would suggest that a good point to do the upgrade to WMP 9 (assuming you want it) would be after applying SP4 to Win2K.

By the way, if you already have a Win2K system with WMP 9 on it this MPSetup.exe installer CAB is almost certainly on that system in the \Program Files\Windows Media Player\Installer dir (or similar name).

• 2 months later...

Can someone reupload this in English? The link seems to be dead. i lost this file in a stupid virus attack. Thanks.

The last version had bugs and was kind of uncorrectable because of how it was constructed. I've been working on a new version of UR2 which alpha version you can find here.

Thanks for the tip, bud. But there seems to be one problem. I'm not sure if this is in result of using the update pack or not, but when I go to right click on the disk drives in my computer, I get an explorer.exe exception which closes out My Computer but doesn't seem to affect Explorer itself. This never happened before and I didn't do anything else different from my last install. Another thing seems like I was missing msdmo.dll when trying to install Windows Media Player 9. It refused to install until it was in the system32 folder, which I had an XP version of the file. Any ideas?

Edited by SearanoX

Hmm, did you install the ALPHA3 version manually in your system? Is the problem gone when you uninstall it?

If possible please check which version of explorer.exe you've got in the %systemroot% folder.