Getting the ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 / Mobility Radeon X700 to work w

Hella

i always use "minfilecache=0", "maxfilecache=0" and "maxphyspage=40000" in my 98SE builds and i haven't really ran into any specific problems that needed fixing, though mind you, i may have not used the systems thoroughly enough to find out, however, i also have to limit the storage space to just under 32 GB or else some weird bug occurs where virtual memory becomes disabled and the hard drive runs in compatibility mode and i haven't found any solutions to this other than limiting the ram to "maxphyspage=18000" and then virtual memory works fine again and compatibility mode goes away for the hard drive, however doing this doesn't make sense on 98SE because of many applications that can benefit or run at all with the extra ram, just so you have extra storage device. on windows 95 osr 2.5, the only difference is i can only run up to 384 MB of system ram and max of just under 32 GB partition size of storage before i start experiencing problems.

btw, that problem with virtual memory becoming disabled and hard drive running in compatibility mode only seemed to come up after restarting the system in the update process, in other words, i could have a 120 GB hard drive installed as an example with 1 GB of ram with the system.ini settings i use and the system running fine up to a certain point, then after one point of updating the system and rebooting, the system runs weird or crashes quickly which then becomes evident from the problems i just explained. i think it happens after i install chipset drivers, i have left this problem entirely by simply limited the storage partition size to just under 32 GB for my builds which for me is still a decent amount of space in general.

Edited by cov3rt

8 hours ago, cov3rt said:

... i also have to limit the storage space to just under 32 GB or else some weird bug occurs where virtual memory becomes disabled and the hard drive runs in compatibility mode and i haven't found any solutions to this other than limiting the ram to "maxphyspage=18000" and then virtual memory works fine again and compatibility mode goes away for the hard drive,...

...on windows 95 osr 2.5, the only difference is i can only run up to 384 MB of system ram and max of just under 32 GB partition size of storage before i start experiencing problems...

You seem to have a lot of very strange problems running these older systems... :dubbio:

18 hours ago, rloew said:

Those settings will not work.
You cannot set MaxFileCache to 0.

i've always used that setting and didn't see any problems with programs, applications or in general. i got

btw, i wiped the hard drive again and started over with 512 MB of ram installed instead of 1 GB this time on the nw8240, ran setup and had the same exact problem, apparently no difference, it freezed at the 10 minute mark and then keeps restarting endlessly towards the same point. i used "setup /p i", im gonna try out "setup /p i;a" to see if there is a difference. it sucks the op couldn't give a little more info on more specific specs of his nw8240 laptop he was using, specifically how much ram he had installed.

2 hours ago, rloew said:

Setting MaxFileCache to 0 does not cause an error. It is simply ignored.
This leaves you at risk for problems when using a lot of RAM.

what exactly is vcache anyways? i always thought vcache was unnecessary on systems that already had fast components and was something more useful for lower end systems such as using a pentium mmx with like 16 MB system ram, is there a more optimal setting i should use for maxfilecache, particularly for my 1 GB systems?

edit/update, i was able to get setup to fully install using the "setup /ip" command, i wanted to have ACPI disabled too and startup disk, but i didn't know how to combine those which i was see if one of you guys would know the specific command i would have to type to do that, the only specific example i saw that made sense to me for multiple switches was "setup /p a;b" ( combing "PA" and 'PB" ), would this be correct? - "setup /p i;ip;ie" in order to have ACPI disabled, startup disk disabled and also bypass unsupported plug and play devices?

Edited by cov3rt

Vcache is a cache for data read off of a Hard Drive. This allows the system to reread data from RAM rather than having to reread the data from the Disk. It speeds up Disk accesses. It is definitely not for low RAM systems.

Although the vcache is managed dynamically to avoid interfering with other users of RAM, the System Arena address space reservation is fixed. The default is to map up to 800MiB of RAM for vcache when there is more RAM. This causes the System Arena to shrink to unacceptable levels.

The maximum vcache depends somewhat on configuration but 512MiB is OK in most instances. This is the default I use in my RAM Limitation Patch. Some people suggest 384MiB. You may want to go lower if you do a lot of writing to USB sticks as it will smooth out the transfers.

The minimum Windows allows is 1/24 times the total RAM, so for 1GiB of RAM, I wouldn't go below 50MiB.
I know of no reason to set MinFileCache.

please, can anyone tell me what setup command i would need to type in order to combine disabling of ACPI and bypass unsupported plug and play devices? i was only able to get 98SE to install when using "setup /ip" which bypasses unsupported plug and play devices but still installs ACPI, starting from scratch again and then trying "setup /p i;ie" this time causes setup to freeze again at the 10 minute mark on the plug and play part so it appears i'm not typing the setup switch(s) correctly. i've gotten all drivers to work except the gpu when using the "setup /ip" route, couldn't get bluetooth "03F0&PID_011D" to work, but i will be testing a package directly from hp's site for the nw8240 which contains a 9x driver, though i had to compile my own folder with specific contents because of too many unnecessary files. also can't find a driver for "VEN_104C&DEV_8034" but this device may not be important, all the other drivers have been found, sound, ethernet, updated cardbus, usb, modem, etc. the mini pci wifi card dell wireless 1370 is left out but that's an obvious, i could test it by inserting in the laptop while it's on after post in 98SE but it's risky and not necessary anyways because the driver should work with wsc gaurd 4.0 or odyssey client 4.56.

Edited by cov3rt

I've found this page interesting as well as informative:

Win Me, 98SE, 98, 95 Setup & Undocumented Switches

On this page:
* How to use Windows 9x Setup Switches
* UNDOCUMENTED Windows 9x Setup Switches
* Setup Switches SPECIFIC to Windows Me, SE & 98
* Setup Switches COMMON to Windows Me, 98SE, 98, 95
* Definition of the /p Switch

http://thpc.info/how/switches9x.html

- Doug B.

Edited by DougB
Formatting

On 1/14/2017 at 5:37 PM, rloew said:

IE is not a Detection Manager Option, nor is IP.
The correct way of combining the two options is as follows:

SETUP /IP /p i

^i tried this above but setup had a hard time configuring the system after completing the installation, almost all devices were not installed and it was just too complicated to figure out how to get everything back to normal. i went ahead and started from scratch and did "setup /ip" again, so ACPI was still installed, this time i was able to successfully get rid of the duplicate vga display adapter in order to get the other one with the exclamation mark that was conflicting with the main device which the exclamation marked device was the actual mobility x700 / firegl v5000 with hardware id of "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653". i can give the details and steps to this if anyone is interested.

with that getting fixed and feeling more confident and optimistic, going with the catalyst 4.11 and selecting the first radeon x700 secondary shown through the have disk option upon reboot caused a black screen which is still black as of now after a half an hour or so, interestingly, the system felt like it fully booted to the desktop based on the way the hard drive was working and processing information through acoustics like it would when you are about to load to the desktop or just loaded into it, but the screen was just black this entire time, not from the splash screen but right when you load into the windows desktop part, it turns black. i choose the radeon x700 secondary because based on wikipedia, the clock and memory speeds were closest so i would have assumed it would work fine from that.

Edited by cov3rt

so now i was able to get image on the screen, that is, only from using an external monitor which someone else on a different thread used the same method for the mobility x700 they had on a different laptop when using either windows 98 or windows me. im sure it's possible some way to configure the system to not need an external monitor to get proper image display on the laptop's screen but at this point, im more or less down experimenting, at least for the gpu portion, although it may be worth of a try to install to test another laptop such as the dell latitude d810 again with ACPI enabled instead of ACPI disabled which is the last way i got it to work "properly", that way, you can benefit from the ACPI features like battery monitoring and can possibly still get the gpu to work by using the same method of removing the duplicate display adapter through safe mode to which i did just recently on the nw8240, i originally did get the mobility x600 on the dell latitude d810 to work with ACPI installed but somewhere between the builds and experimenting made it difficult or unsuccessful, probably freezing, crashing or setup not finishing where i had to go with ACPI disabled to get things working properly.

so again, the laptop basically has near full support for windows 98SE, i was able to insert the dell wireless 1370 mini pci card ( broadcom 4318 ) while the laptop was on several times before the boot process to get the driver installed, you have to insert it when on that screen to which you press f8 and it gives boot options, then you would proceed on normal boot and so on. risky, but worked. although i did get the driver to install and apparently working, wsc gaurd 4.0 didn't work to allow me to launch up the utility and configure a connection, despite another user mentioning on a different thread that they did get it to work with the broadcom 4318 card. i have attached the exact error message below. it previously complained about having only one instance or something along that lines, i only took a picture of the last one after the final boot though. perhaps i could try Odyssey client 4.56? other than the mini pci wifi card still not supported properly and no bios update / patch for it obtained yet and the gpu part, there are working 98SE drivers for pretty much everything else, you may need to edit some of the inf files for the devices to properly detect them upon device manager driver installation. also attached a photo of dxdiag ( external monitor ) showing the firegl v5000 / mobility x700 listed as the x700 secondary instead and of course the model of my lovely white height adjustable monitor :).

also forget to mention, i used specifically catalyst 4.11 for the gpu, i added specifically the hardware id of the nw8240's gpu directing to radeon x700 secondary series ( SE ). i didn't use the have disk way but the other way of driving installation of just selecting the standard pci graphics adapter (vga) and pointing to the modified catalyst 4.11 driver folder, below is what i added to the inf:

"RADEON X700 Series Secondary   " = RV410_ENU, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653&SUBSYS_0940103C&REV_00
"RADEON X700 Series Secondary   " = RV410_ENU, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653

67.JPG

68.JPG

Edited by cov3rt

• 2 years later...
On 1/22/2017 at 7:23 PM, cov3rt said:

so now i was able to get image on the screen, that is, only from using an external monitor which someone else on a different thread used the same method for the mobility x700 they had on a different laptop when using either windows 98 or windows me. im sure it's possible some way to configure the system to not need an external monitor to get proper image display on the laptop's screen but at this point, im more or less down experimenting, at least for the gpu portion, although it may be worth of a try to install to test another laptop such as the dell latitude d810 again with ACPI enabled instead of ACPI disabled which is the last way i got it to work "properly", that way, you can benefit from the ACPI features like battery monitoring and can possibly still get the gpu to work by using the same method of removing the duplicate display adapter through safe mode to which i did just recently on the nw8240, i originally did get the mobility x600 on the dell latitude d810 to work with ACPI installed but somewhere between the builds and experimenting made it difficult or unsuccessful, probably freezing, crashing or setup not finishing where i had to go with ACPI disabled to get things working properly...

..., there are working 98SE drivers for pretty much everything else, you may need to edit some of the inf files for the devices to properly detect them upon device manager driver installation. also attached a photo of dxdiag ( external monitor ) showing the firegl v5000 / mobility x700 listed as the x700 secondary instead and of course the model of my lovely white height adjustable monitor :).

also forget to mention, i used specifically catalyst 4.11 for the gpu, i added specifically the hardware id of the nw8240's gpu directing to radeon x700 secondary series ( SE ). i didn't use the have disk way but the other way of driving installation of just selecting the standard pci graphics adapter (vga) and pointing to the modified catalyst 4.11 driver folder, below is what i added to the inf:

"RADEON X700 Series Secondary   " = RV410_ENU, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653&SUBSYS_0940103C&REV_00

67.JPG

68.JPG

I dont know if this post will be read again but man, i got a asus laptop with a mobility radeon X700. I try your solution but i may fail, i find catalyst 4.11 but not sure its a good one.

I had this : "RADEON X700 Series Secondary   " = RV410_ENU, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653&SUBSYS_0940103C&REV_00

but i looked in the inf there is no RV410. So i looked to the xp version and the model is : "ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700" = ati2mtag_M26, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653&SUBSYS_11B21043
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 " = ati2mtag_M26, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5652&SUBSYS_18811043
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700  " = ati2mtag_M26, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5652&SUBSYS_19621043
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700   " = ati2mtag_M26, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653&SUBSYS_11221043

SO i make a copy of the catalyst driver 4.11 and i add the last line. Well its worked but i got limited to 2 color and 16 color and the c panel for ATI no want start.

I edited the xp driver with making a copy of all the register files, ini and inf than i rename from C2 to C9X. Then again drivers is taken but not possible to install the ati software and use it.

The color is still limited to 2 or 16 color. If you read my message can you help me or make me a package with your driver for this graphic card ?

THanks you