how to change windows explorer icon without editing explorer.exe?

Hi guys,

I want to change the Windows Explorer icon on the task bar but don't want to edit the explorer.exe, as it might create problem. I have experienced that explorer.exe starts crashing if edited. I know we can change the start orb using Theme resource Changer but it can't help me change windows explorer icon. I have seen in some thread that there is a alternate method of changing that icon but now I am not getting that thread. I have already spent 3 hrs or so searching that thread. As far as I remember some senior member has posted that method on this very forum.

Please help me guys.

Edited by nice_guy75

Perhaps ,that's what you were searching but i didn't found it there.

This is not exactly what I was searching for. The one you have posted is for already installed OS what I am searching for is for preinstall environment. And if I remember properly some third party software is required in the method which I have seen on this forum.

mount the WIM

change the icon here:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

and you have the updated icon in all user accounts.

I wonder how can I change the icon in the shortcut which are in the "TaskBar" folder, and even if I change the icon in the "TaskBar" folder will it work after installation as well.