WinsetupfromUSB and MacOSx and "usb divx reader"

hi, i used winsetupfromusb 1.0 beta 7 on an external Hard Disk.....if i use it with first partiton (NTFS), no problem...but i want use it with second partition, because i want formatting first partition with FAT32 and use to watch films with usb divx reader (it reads only first partition in fat32). If i do it, grub4dos says:

qemu.png

what's the problem?

in hd0,1 winsetup created menu.lst and grldr and others....

thanks

what's the problem?

in hd0,1 winsetup created menu.lst and grldr and others....

Somehow, you have either a botched install of grub4dos (UNlikely) or a non-standard second partition.

The screenshot you posted actually says that.

It is possible that it is a Qemu related problem, but, again, UNlikely.

What the HECK is the second harddisk with size 0 bytes? :w00t: (which also gives an error - of course)

Try using Qemu-manager which is easier to configure than Qemu "alone":

http://www.davereyn.co.uk/download.htm

Try putting a copy of the GRLDR on first (FAT32) partition and to it's command prompt run:

geometry (hd0)

[ENTER]

and post results.

jaclaz

i used qemu version included in winsetup....the same thing appears when pc boots normally....

i put grldr on first partition and i wrote command...

qemu2.png

P.S. the first time i created partitions with Windows Disk Manager, first with exFAT, second NTFS, third empty and last NTFS....now i use Partition Editor on Ubuntu, i create same partitions but the first formatted in fat32...

Edited by majinzin

The second, third and fourth partitions are NOT formatted with a filesystem grub4dos recognizes.

The fact that they do have the "partition type" set to (respectively) 0x07, 0x83 (which BTW is NOT "empty", but the partition ID for the Linux native partition) and 0x07 only means that that entry is written in the partition table, but the "filesystem unknown" means that grub4dos doesn't "recognizes them".

Are you sure that the first is "exFAT"?

The partition type is 0x0C (which is FAT32 LBA) and the version of grub4dos you are using DOES NOT support exFAT.

Anyway, leave (for the moment) ANY other tool alone.

Connect that hard disk to your Windows (which version, BTW?) machine.

Try opening the disk with Explorer, does the second (apparently NTFS) get a drive letter?

Can you see it's contents?

If yes, copy them to some other disk/drive, then run the FORMAT command on that partition and after it has finished, copy back to it the files.

Copy back first the files in root, like NTLDR, BOOT.INI NTDETCT.COM, GRLDR, etc.

How big is the first FAT32 partition? :unsure:

Could it be that it *somehow* "pushes" the second anf following ones "beyond reach" of gub4dos? (it is definitely not a grub4dos limitation, but it may be a BIOS one)

Try again and see if now running the geometry command the output changes.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

yesterday i created partitions with windows disk manager...windows allows use fat32 file system for partitions max 100 gb...for>100 i must use exfat.....linux allows use fat32 also in partition > 100gb....in fact today i format 200 gb partition in fat32 with linux....

yes, i view all files created by winsetup in second partition...

win.png

i copy all file in other partition, format in NTFS (6 gb second partition) with format command and restore only grldr, menu.lst ecc.....i delete grldr in first partition..

qemu3.png

then i restore grldr and run geometry command...

qemu4.png

this is my grldr file...

pxe detect
configfile
default 0
timeout 1

title find /menu.lst, /boot/grub/menu.lst, /grub/menu.lst
errorcheck off
configfile /menu.lst || configfile /MENU.LST
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst || configfile /BOOT/GRUB/MENU.LST
configfile /grub/menu.lst || configfile /GRUB/MENU.LST
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /menu.lst && configfile /menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/menu.lst && configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /grub/menu.lst && configfile /grub/menu.lst
errorcheck on
commandline

title commandline
commandline

title reboot
reboot

title halt
halt

and this is menu.lst cropped.....

title EXPERIMENTAL - Start PLoP boot manager\nYou may want to try it if your computer boots from USB slowly.\nOnce booted,select USB from its menu to load USB 2.0 drivers.\nPlease report any issues to its author at www.plop.at
ls /usbdrive.tag || find --set-root --ignore-cd /usbdrive.tag
kernel /plpbt.bin

title Windows XP/2000/2003 Setup
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook
savedefault
ls /usbdrive.tag || find --set-root --ignore-cd /usbdrive.tag
configfile /winsetup.lst

title Start Vista/Win7/Server 2008 Setup or PE/Recovery ISO from partition 1
map --unhook
root (hd0,1)
chainloader /bootmgr

title Start ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386 LIVE from partition 1
map --unhook
root (hd0,1)
map /ubuntu/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff) || map --mem /UBUNTU/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/UBUNTU/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash --
errorcheck off
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
errorcheck on

i try format second partition in fat32....then copy files...and the output of grub4dos is the same... "non-ms" :skip in hd(0,1) hd(0,2) hd(0,3).....

is it possible to force grub4dos search grldr in second partition?

i try format second partition in fat32....then copy files...and the output of grub4dos is the same... "non-ms" :skip in hd(0,1) hd(0,2) hd(0,3).....

is it possible to force grub4dos search grldr in second partition?

Yes, but you are missing the point. :wacko:

For some reasons (that we are trying to understand) grub4dos DOES NOT recognize *ANY* partition but the first one as validly formatted (or if you prefer as containing a valid filesystem).

This means that there is no sense in forcing grub4dos to search in second partition, since right now it CANNOT ACCESS it.

The 200 Gb size is HUGE. :w00t:

You can try (as an experiment) to reduce the size of first partition FAT32, so that it is around 120 Gb.

It is possible that grub4dos (or your BIOS) does not, for any reason, provide correctly 48 bit LBA addressing, so anything above the 48 bit LBA limit:

http://www.48bitlba.com/overview.htm

becomes "a suffusion of yellow".

You can use (again WHICH WIndows are you running?) any of:

http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

to format the partition under Windows (definuitely 2K/XP, cannot say Vista :ph34r: or 7).

jaclaz

sorry, i use WIndows 7 32bit....i try create 120 gb partition with fat32formatter, second partition 6 gb ntfs...i copy menu.lst, ecc. on second partition and finally grub recognized first and second partition !!!!! then i try to create with the same program 200gb partition but grub doesn't recognize second partition....now...the problem is a partition's size.....in fact if i try to create also first partition in NTFS 200 gb....grub doesn't go....i red a 48bitLBA page, can i create third and fourth partition > 137 gb or not??

thanks!!

Edited by jaclaz

Are you familiar with a hex/disk editor?

Or can you use this thingy here:

http://www.dtidata.com/ntfs_partition_repair.htm

or a similar app.

The idea is to try and see if we can "trick" the "usb divx reader" into accepting the partition even if it is not "first" on disk.

Most of the times these kind of thingies look for the partition that is in first entry of the partition table (no matter if it is actually first partition on disk).

So you can try the following:

1. create a 6 Gb partition NTFS
  2. crete a 200 Gb partition FAT32
  3. run the tool and jolt down partitions data
  4. edit the partition table, copying 2nd entry contents over 1st one and 1st entry contents over 2nd one

see if the "usb divx reader" sees the FAT32 partition now.

jaclaz

there is another problem...when try to start windows xp setup and ubuntu setup (windows 7 go properly..)...first enter in a sub menu: click "First part of Windows XP Professional SP3 setup from partition 1" and appear grub command line (grub>)...second, appear error : error 17: cannot mount selected partition...

Are you familiar with a hex/disk editor?

Or can you use this thingy here:

http://www.dtidata.com/ntfs_partition_repair.htm

or a similar app.

The idea is to try and see if we can "trick" the "usb divx reader" into accepting the partition even if it is not "first" on disk.

Most of the times these kind of thingies look for the partition that is in first entry of the partition table (no matter if it is actually first partition on disk).

2. crete a 200 Gb partition FAT32
  4. edit the partition table, copying 2nd entry contents over 1st one and 1st entry contents over 2nd one

jaclaz

repair.png

and now?

there is another problem...when try to start windows xp setup and ubuntu setup (windows 7 go properly..)...first enter in a sub menu: click "First part of Windows XP Professional SP3 setup from partition 1" and appear grub command line (grub>)...second, appear error : error 17: cannot mount selected partition...

Forget about it (for the moment), we will find and fix that when we will have solved the "other" problem.

and now?

Any difficult part in:

2. create a 200 Gb partition FAT32

In first line you have:

No/32/33/NTFS/41/5/740/2048/11888640

and in second line:

No/41/6/740/FAT 32/254/63/1023/11890688/419471360

Change first line to:

No/41/6/740/FAT 32/254/63/1023/11890688/419471360

Change second line to:

No/32/33/NTFS/41/5/740/2048/11888640

Is the above difficult?

ANYWAY, DO NOT DO IT, your current partition data is also invalid. :ph34r:

Redo from start:

1. Use ONLY Windows 7 Disk Management.
  2. Delete EACH and ALL partitions.
  3. Create a new partition, around 6 GB in size, partition it as NTFS, make it ACTIVE.
  4. Create a new partition, around 200 Gb in size
  5. Exit Disk Management.
  6. Use either of the mentioned FAT32 formatting apps to format the 200 Gb partition (drive).
  7. Verify that you can write and read files on both partitions.
  8. Use the partition tool to EXCHANGE the data in first two lines.
  9. Reboot and check that you can still write and read on both partitions.
  10. Copy a movie or whatever to the FAT32 partition and test if "usb divx reader" works with the disk.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

good news...initially i used winsetup on first partition.....i changed values in partition table....i copied movie in fat32 partition and divx reader read partition!!! then i modify menu.lst of windows 7 and ubuntu entry : root (hd0,0) ---> root (hd0,1)...i tested it in qemu, and they go !! the last problem is windows xp setup...i can't modify "root (hd0,1)" because there isn't......when i click on "First part of Windows XP Professional SP3 setup from partition 0....", setup start but after 10 seconds :

win2.png

and return grub menu.....

Edited by jaclaz

It doesn't work this way. :(

If I ask you to do something, there are REASONS why I ask you to do that particular thing (and NOT another thing) and I would appreciate if you could:

1. do what I ask you to do
  2. do NOTHING else
  3. report EXACTLY what you did and the result you had

My crystal ball is (again) out of tune :w00t: and I cannot know what is your current setup unless you describe it EXACTLY, COMPLETELY and FULLY.

The DTIDATA tool screenshot you posted lately shows an incorrect partitioning, that may cause DATA LOSS in some cases/when some tools are used.

Of course you are perfectly free to use the disk "as is" :).

WHICH version of WinsetupfromUSB withGUI are you using?

The Beta 1.0-7 has a rather complex mechanism of booting through different .lst files.

The settings you need to modify (if possible to solve this issue with a simple Edit) are AFAICR either in winsetup.lst or the various 1.lst, 2.lst, etc.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

sorry, by the way, when i initialized third partition with HFS+journaled on mac os , i open DTIDATA and this is table:

repair2.png

i don't konw how but i can open all partitions.....all S.O. setup start (winxp, ubuntu,win7)....i try with another divx reader and it reads fat32 partition.....maybe this reader tries all partition...(tonight i will try with my reader...)

But If you say me that my partitions are incorrect i will delete all and i recreate them follow your guide....

But If you say me that my partitions are incorrect i will delete all and i recreate them follow your guide....

There is something that is "just not right".

From the last screenshot you posted seems like you have "removed" all CHS data ("leveling" it to 1023/254/63).

This way CHS data is not anymore balanced with LBA data.

Besides, this, you seem like running a "standard" Windows 7, which does not anymore respect cylinder and head boundaries.

This is not normally a problem IF you ONLY use "newish" (post Vista :ph34r:) partitioning tools and NEVER use DOS, Windows 9x/Me, Windows 2K/XP or Linux partitioning tools.

Basically Microsoft "changed the rules" they themselves established (starting with Vista :ph34r:) so older tools/apps may decide to "correct" these non-standard (or better said maybe non-orthodox settings) and this can cause data loss.

A recent example is here:

and a few more dated ones here:

http://reboot.pro/9897/

As said, they do not represent a problem, if you know that the problem exists and take steps to avoid it. :)

With a setup like the one proposed, the grub4dos MBR will be able to only access/read the 6 GB partition (located BELOW the 48 bit LBA limit BUT second entry in the Partition Table) and since the " the "usb divx reader" seemingly works with the 200 Gb partition, no matter where it is located, as long as it is first partition in the Partition Table, you should be fine and dandy.

Still the proposed "solution" is actually a "workaround", as the "real solution" would be to change BIOS code, see here for a quick reference:

http://reboot.pro/13387/

The problem remains only that of fixing the source on second partition for the XP install, I tend to think that this will be trivial for ilko_t as soon as he happens to "pass by" and notice the issue.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz