Windows XP Genuine original ISO

laz3boy

Hello Dear Friends,

I lost My Windows XP CD which I purchased few years back, so I was wondering if it was possible to download full iso image which i can burn on a cd and use it to install on my pc, i already have the key and i don't want to download it illegally over the net.

Thanks

There are multiple ways to be able to download an OS from Microsoft. Anyone can get an MSDN or TechNet account, but even a low-level account won't let you download an OS. There are multiple levels of accounts. For example, mine is through the company I work for. I could download Windows 7 but not something like XP Embedded.

From what I can find, the cheapest MSDN subscription is $699:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/buy.aspx

However! TechNet subscriptions are substantially cheaper (and rightly so) and the most expensive is cheaper than the cheapest MSDN subscription!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/buy.aspx

This is a comparison of the different options.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb892756.aspx

I know a few people who have gotten the Standard TechNet subscription. Also, if you are going to school, your institution may have special deals for you. For example, I know one guy that has some student subscription package where he could get OS from MS and CS from Adobe.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried, contacting Microsoft, to see if they would be willing to give you some relief?

If your concern is to remain 100% legal, with an OS that MS does NOT want to still support,

then that would probably be your best recourse.

At the risk of being reprimanded, I won't discuss alternatives. OK?

The Legal Key is what is important, not the CD/DVD itself. So if you can just get a copy or the loan of a

CD of the same version as your key, you could use that to reinstall Windows.

Put in your legal key during the install, return the borrowed CD and you're done.

* MS really doesn't care what CD you use, it's the Key that's important.

But, you must use the same version of Windows as what's stated on the Key label.

??? did you ever tell us WHY you want or need to re-install Windows???

good luck

Andromeda B)

• 4 weeks later...

The Legal Key is what is important, not the CD/DVD itself.

Don't mean to go H.A.M but I was told wether I downloaded it or borrowed a CD its all illegal, cause I don't own the original content.

Like what the difference borrowing a cd or downloading, neither belongs to the persons who actually needs it. I admit I don't understand some laws but people

who don't understand them as well, should stop acting like they know it all. Either its all illegal or its not. If I'm wrong then correct me, because i don't know.

You need to have both the CD and KEY.

Some time ago I asked M$ (on the phone) about downgrading XP to 2K and what they told me is that you should borrow the original 2K CD from someone and install it with their KEY. It would be legal as long as you own a copy of XP Pro. By the way, XP Pro can still be downgraded to 2K regardless of the 2K's EOL.

The other problem is when you buy a used laptop for example - and there is only a sticker with a key but no CD. In such a case you should contact the manufacturer of the computer and ask for a CD. If it's a large company they probably provide it for a small fee. I know for sure that you can get a copy of XP CD for 10$ from Samsung if you own a Samsung laptop with an XP license.

If you download the CD and install the system from it using your key it will be considered illegal by M$, even though they won't be able to check it.

Edited by tomasz86

Legal:

-receive cd with license.

-buy cd separately, use own license

-borrow cd, use own license

-make copy of your own cd for yourself (as long as you don't sell/give the original).

illegal:

-copy-download-duplication by any mean of (someone else's) cd.

"Help me do this illegal thing"; ->thread closed. :ph34r:

"Help me do this thing legally"; ->thread open. :angel

Legal:

-receive cd with license.

-buy cd separately, use own license

-borrow cd, use own license

-make copy of your own cd for yourself (as long as you don't sell/give the original).

illegal:

-copy-download-duplication by any mean of (someone else's) cd.

"Help me do this illegal thing"; ->thread closed. :ph34r:

"Help me do this thing legally"; ->thread open. :angel

Its not my intentions to do anything illegal, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything illegal.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I asked the same thing but my topic was closed because????????

I found out the key I had got was a retail. I got my WinXP Pro up and running though.

Please read the forum rules.

This thread has been answered and will also be closed.