Good Alternative to VLC Player?

xmf

There are a couple of things about the player that really annoy me. The main two being the volume control that goes up to 200% (and distorts) and the fact that the EQ settings are never retained. Anyone found a good free alternative for playing music and DVDs?

Edited by xmf

So, if I want to use Media Player Classic then I have to find codecs so I can play DVDs, CDs, MP3s. FLAC, WAV, etc.

MPlayer and MPUI is something different that (packaged) is all ready to go.

Well, I'd like to see why you both have chosen to use MP Classic, so I guess I'll start looking into the codecs I'll need (unless someone can point me in the right direction).

Edit: So far MP HC is playing most everything in my arsenal: CD, DVD, MP3, MP4, & FLAC - but no EQ! Hopefully there's a workaround.

Thanks

Edited by xmf

Well, K-Lite Codec Pack is bundled with MPC (and/or MPC-HC). It also includes FFDShow as a set of DirectShow filters and it does have an audio EQ. FFDShow is also available as a separate download.

So it does have a built-in EQ? How does one use it?

I'm using mediaplayer hC because it's multithreaded and very light and some built-in codecs but not all unlike vlc or mplayer. But for what i'm playing back, it is the best and it has unique features like using a different audio output than the default one or display in fullscreen always on the same monitor etc ...

Open your Start menu, select All Programs, find FFDShow and choose ffdshow audio decoder, as shown in the pic. Don't forget to tick Equalizer to enable it first. The ffdshow video decoder screen gives a few options as well.

Now, the good thing about this program is that if you configure your files/filters to go through FFDShow (Codecs sub-section for audio/video decoder screen), you should experience a smaller CPU usage and a smoother playback. I've been using it since 2004 (combined with K-Lite and MPC for the past 3-4 years) and the only files it doesn't play for me are the corrupted ones.

Cheers

Open your Start menu, select All Programs, find FFDShow and choose ffdshow audio decoder, as shown in the pic. Don't forget to tick Equalizer to enable it first. The ffdshow video decoder screen gives a few options as well.

Now, the good thing about this program is that if you configure your files/filters to go through FFDShow (Codecs sub-section for audio/video decoder screen), you should experience a smaller CPU usage and a smoother playback. I've been using it since 2004 (combined with K-Lite and MPC for the past 3-4 years) and the only files it doesn't play for me are the corrupted ones.

Cheers

A slight miscommunication. When I wrote "So I've downloaded and installed the program." I was referring to MPC-HC, not FFDShow. I thought FFDShow came bundled with MPC-HC based on post #4, but I guess not?

Anyway, I've now downloaded and successfully installed FFDShow, but it's not appearing in my Start Menu->Programs. Is there any other way to launch it? Must it be launched separately every time in order to work in conjunction with MPC?

Edited by xmf

As far as I know, MPC-HC is in terrible code state. It's an old code from MPC with some features added on top of it. Noone knows how it really works and most of the development consists of bugfixes and workarounds.

Don't get me wrong, I've been using it for a few years and like it, but I don't see much light at the and of the tunnel for it. If I was looking for a player, I wouldn't look at it as an alternative.

The same applies to FFDShow by the way...