Registry grew too big, windows refuses to boot

TmEE

I was installing Xilinx CPLD development software and same thing happened as what happened to me last time when I installed AutoCAD to finish off some school work.... the error is different but in both cases Safe Mode worked and SYSTEM.DAT is larger than 12.5MBytes. In both cases uninstalling the software does not help...

And my last registry backup is too old to be used.

Last time I got VFAT error, this time it is just "Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer"

Bootlog.txt does not seem to be helpful, I only saw DOS stuff in it, no windows stuff...

Is there any good registry scrubbing software that may help ? I have some programs but their automatic methods don't yeld much loss in size, only few KB. Other programs let you delete whatever you want at your own risk and I'd avoid doing that, its near same as going blindly into registry with regedit and deleting things randomly....

I have not yet tried RLoew's RAM limitation patch demo, it was suggested last time but I managed to kill the setup so it would no longer boot into safe mode so I could not have tried it.

Getting files to and off 98 in safe mode is not so fun, flash sticks don't work and only floppies I can find right now are 360Kbyte 5.25" ones :thumbup

Sometimes I think I should just torture my laptop with XP instead for big behemot programs... I hate laptops :whistle:

EDIT: RLoew's patch had no effect.

EDIT2: Bootlog.txt is now full of stuff, last things being USB related things. I will try to remove USB devices from device manager in safe mode

EDIT3: Removed all USB devices and other junk I no longer have and I saw desktop again :D

Edited by TmEE

I was installing Xilinx CPLD development software and same thing happened as what happened to me last time when I installed AutoCAD to finish off some school work.... the error is different but in both cases Safe Mode worked and SYSTEM.DAT is larger than 12.5MBytes. In both cases uninstalling the software does not help...

And my last registry backup is too old to be used.

Last time I got VFAT error, this time it is just "Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer"

Bootlog.txt does not seem to be helpful, I only saw DOS stuff in it, no windows stuff...

Is there any good registry scrubbing software that may help ? I have some programs but their automatic methods don't yeld much loss in size, only few KB. Other programs let you delete whatever you want at your own risk and I'd avoid doing that, its near same as going blindly into registry with regedit and deleting things randomly....

I have not yet tried RLoew's RAM limitation patch demo, it was suggested last time but I managed to kill the setup so it would no longer boot into safe mode so I could not have tried it.

Getting files to and off 98 in safe mode is not so fun, flash sticks don't work and only floppies I can find right now are 360Kbyte 5.25" ones :thumbup

Sometimes I think I should just torture my laptop with XP instead for big behemot programs... I hate laptops :whistle:

EDIT: RLoew's patch had no effect.

EDIT2: Bootlog.txt is now full of stuff, last things being USB related things. I will try to remove USB devices from device manager in safe mode

EDIT3: Removed all USB devices and other junk I no longer have and I saw desktop again :D

Did you use the /M Option when you installed my Demo Patch?

I have tested it with an 18MB SYSTEM.DAT successfully.

Try disabling the Ethernet Driver, especially if it is Gigabit capable.

Aw ****, I knew it was one option but not the /M one... but I am sure the problem will emerge again when I reinstall the CPLD software so I'll try out (I am fairly positive I got a temporary fix, and I made another backup of the registry after I got stuff show up again so I should do fine when it happens again).

I don't have a Gbit LAN card, in fact I removed it just because of one of the threads Herbalist linked to, and because my network is 100Mbit, and my 100Mbit Intel card performs better :P

I do hope the /M switch works, it would pretty much give me a good reason to finally get the patch. A bit off topic but can I use it on multiple computers ? I have more than one machine in my household

In any case I am reading through the Registry cleanup thread and stacking up on the listed programs :)

Try this.

Start the system is DOS Mode and from the command prompt run:

scanreg /BACKUP (for to backup your current registry)

then

scanreg /FIX

and then

scanreg /OPT

Then restart your pc. In the case of problems you can to restore the backup by teh command prompt using "scanreg /RESTORE".

For to delete old registry entries you can also try to use "regclean", but take care that sometimes this utility has some problems with some installations made with the Windows Installer (install with .msi extensions).

bye,

aru

My registry is well above 8MBytes so these suggestions are not going to work out (USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT together are 15.6MBytes)...

Anyway,

Seems this is not a registry problem but something else. The software package asks me to install a driver afterwards for USB interfaces it can use to program the chips, and that seems to be where the problem comes.

After installing the software I got same effect as before. So I quickly tried out the patch with /M switch and it had no effect. Bootlog showed "USB mass storage device" as the last thing in it as previously so I went into safe mode and removed all USB devices and restarted.

I got to the desktop and after windows finished re-installing USB devices I did a restart again. And windows booted normally, then I did antoher reboot to uninstall the patch and everything is still in working order, and the software package seems to work too, albeit I have not got far enough to do any CPLD writing yet, I'd be using LPT based JTAG cable for that so I don't think I will have problems... but who knows.

Also many links in the thread about registry are dead :/

I do hope the /M switch works, it would pretty much give me a good reason to finally get the patch. A bit off topic but can I use it on multiple computers ? I have more than one machine in my household

The license is per Computer. A discount is available if you have several.

You will definitely need it for the Computer with a 15MB Registry. Otherwise, after you fix your more immediate problem, you are likely to get VFAT errors again.

Yes, the fix will most definitely be temporary, and sooner or later I'll get in trouble again. When that happens and /M switch clears the problem I'll be looking for at your way. Discount part got me interested aswell.