How to make software install without IE?

I have a US Robotics 5417 wireless card that I'm having problems with, for some reason the programmers designed the software to not install if Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher is not detected (I removed IE off my system). On another computer, I was able to trick the software by installing IE6 first, then after I installed the USR program I removed Internet Explorer from my system without any problems.

I'm going to have to format and re-install 98 on the system using right now, so I don't mind having to install IE6 to get the USR software to work.

But if I were to come across another program that asks for Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher again, I don't want to repeat the step I did above. Is there away to trick to software to install?

Edited by starport3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a US Robotics 5417 wireless card that I'm having problems with, for some reason the programmers designed the software to not install if Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher is not detected (I don't have IE on my system). On another computer, I was able to trick the software by installing IE6 first, then after I installed the USR software I removed Internet Explorer from my system without any problems.

I'm going to have to format and re-install 98 on the system using right now, so I don't mind having to install IE6 to get the USR software to work.

But if I were to come across another program in the future that asks for Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher, is there away to trick to software to install?

The IE dependency might be due to system file 'shlwapi.dll', which IE installs/updates (a suggestion from Den).

Joe.